Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: TAM owners?

G'day

How many of us Aussies have a Twentieth Anniversary Mac?

Anyone bought one from the States now they sell for around $500 US?

Everyone using something else as their primary Mac?

Time has come for me... I'm moving on to either an iMac or eMac.

Anyways....

Cheers
    Travis
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

There seem to be a few floating around Aus, one here. but they are still pretty rare IMHO.

I don't think too many TAM owners still use them as primary machines tho.

I have been thinking about getting one for a while, but as always, money is the restriction (doh.)

Not me, I don't have a 20th Anniversary Mac, but Albeit would be something along the lines of the cube...a cult following, a collectors item.

I use "something else" as my primary mac, my 12" iBook (900Mhz G3) which I got in August last year, 1 month before they went to the G4 CPU. I was dirty about about that.)

Go iMac, I just don't like the look of the eMac's for some reason. I thought it may grow on me, but I would be lying if I said they are a nice machine. But they are great for tight budgets like mine. I would hold out for an iMac - the 20" model ofcourse.

Steve
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru

I remember them being new for around $8k in Japan (it was probably more) back in 1998 when I was there, and by the end of the year, you could pick them up for half price!

I considered a few times picking one up (it would have been cool for my father, who's computer I upgraded from time to time, but various things made it seem like an impractical option (ie: cost).

Next time I'm in Japan, I'll see if there are any floating around and what they cost, but I need more computers like I need a hole in the head

Would make a good MP3 music station though.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

They were originally I think about $10,000 US, which included conceirge delivery to your door, and it would also be set up for you (like hell&#33. They dropped it down to around $7,000 soon thereafter when no one was buying them... and finally...

I picked mine up during the "firesale" in Mar98. $1999 US, plus a memory upgrade, and $250 US shipping.

I had bought my dream Mac - the Quadra 840av, in Dec97 (when I could finally afford one, at less than 1/10 the original price)...

Lost it due to lightning strike within the month... (protected the Mac, but didn't think of the modem...) Struggled along with my ol' LCIII... then just thought one day... Mmm... Wonder what happened to that other dream Mac...

It was truly freaky timing, as the firesale had just started. Got mine in the nick of time.

The TAM makes a great entertainment unit. Plug in a VCR (unless you buy a Euro-TAM with PAL tv card)... put on a cd... I don't care what the audiophiles say, the TAM's Bose speakers are great. You can pump up the volume on a CD and it plays Perfectly. MP3 may not handle so well on higher volumes due to the compression, but still pretty good.

If I could, I'd be buying up all the ones I see on eBay. I'd love a room full of them. Or at least 1 as a spares machine.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!