Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default LightScribe query

I recently bought a LaCie optical drive which included LightScribe software.
    Seems I need to buy compatible disks before I can use it.
    Anyone know which discs actually are compatible? ... and hints on how to use it would also be great.

mct
     MacBook (Unibody) 13in, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, OS10.5.7 + PowerBook G4, 12in, 1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM, OS10.4.11 + Bondi Blue iMac, 96MB RAM, OS9.2.2

Lightscribe discs are made by most of the big manufacturers - Verbatim being one.
    The discs have the distinctive Light scribe logo on their packaging.
    I think it is version 1.2?? that gives faster printing, which is still quite slow - like 20 minutes fo a full resolution - full coverage label.
    I have used Imation LS CDs with my Lacie writer, and while acceptable, the results are not all that outstanding - contrast being somewhat lower than one would hope.

cheers

mutters

Thanks to mutters for that.
    Are all the disks labelled "printable" OK?

mct
     MacBook (Unibody) 13in, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, OS10.5.7 + PowerBook G4, 12in, 1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM, OS10.4.11 + Bondi Blue iMac, 96MB RAM, OS9.2.2

"Compatible" discs are only required if you want to label the disc using Lightscribe technology.
    Discs that are Lightscribe label capable will be labelled as "Lightscribe".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightScribe

"Printable" discs are discs with a blank white label surface that can be put through specially designed inkjet printers to print a label.

For regular burning needs (e.g. manual labeling with a permanent marker), just about any disc will be fine.

Default to mctext

Could you like to tell me what Lacie burner you've bought and what dvd-rom it use: Samsung or another one?

bely