Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by SyncMan View Post
    Why do people post anyway when they don't have problems?
    It's all doom and gloom. If people regularly posted about a lack of problems with their computers, I strongly believe that it would destroy the Internet What else are we here for?

JB

Lol, I can see it now, new threads like...

Nothing wrong with my Mac, help me break it.

The two white Macbooks I've had didn't have any problems either.
    Macbook Pro C2D 2.2/4GB/250GB
    Mac Pro Quad 3Ghz/4GB 8800GT 30"

Quote Originally Posted by SyncMan View Post
    Lol, I can see it now, new threads like...

Nothing wrong with my Mac, help me break it.
    That was meant to be in contrast to 'Something wrong with my Mac, help me fix it', but I see the other combination was used here last night, 'Something wrong with my Mac, help me break it.'

How to destroy an iBook - MacTalk Forums

It's Ok. Im cursed as well. I have had 6 Apple products replaced in a year as well.
    They are fine and then.. Bam.. They break!
    Crap!!!

omgggg....icarllovesapple, its bed time and i decided to have a read, and came across this thread which I havent seen. It was till the 4th pages till I'd noticed it was dated back to march 2007??????

I'm like omfg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks mate.... -_-

P.S. If i were the guy who had that much problems, definitely write a letter to the apple company / fair trading / and or demand a crazy ass compensation. this is just plain ridiculous.

There's a whole heap of thread necromancy recently.

What gives?
    I am the tech savvy at-risk youth.

Quote Originally Posted by iMarty View Post
    Digg this story: Digg - MacBook Nightmare - 6 Lemons in a Row

Day 1: So I decided to buy a MacBook. I'd thought it would be useful being that I was doing a lot of video editing and presentations using a borrowed laptop all the time. I figured "hey, about time I got my own damn laptop!". Plus, the person I was borrowing the laptop from came back from overseas and said "Hey! Give it back!". This left me with a bit of a problem. I now needed a laptop! So I enlisted the help of our good friend decryption and trotted off to RMIT Computers Now.

We both walked in, and the store was quite a flutter, the staff were run off their feet. I wandered over and gandered at the MacBooks and was instantly in love. decryption had to drag me away from them to point out that the sales rep was free and I could actually buy one, rather than just drooling over a display model. Oh noes! Catastrophy struck! They didn't have any stock. I was assured that they'd have one in for me within 24 hours, the gentleman who served me (Andrew) was extremely helpful and efficient. After that slight knock back, I noticed the lovely brochure for educational discount that was on the counter, so I purchased an iPod and MacBook at the same time. Hooray, Discounts! I left the store happy with my new 4g iPod (they had stock hooray) and dreaming about tommorow, the day I could collect my MacBook.

Day 2: I woke quite content that today was indeed the day I could pickup my mac. Before I even had a chance to get out of bed (ok, so it wasn't early), Andrew from RMIT Comptuters now gave me a call to inform me my mac was ready for collection. Awesome! So I trotted into the city to collect it, content in the knowledge that I'd bought a computer which "Just works!". It was all going well. This was MacBook (#1 - Black)

Day 3: D-Day - Disaster! It was really quite an annoyance. I was actually on holiday when it happened. I'd shot some footage for a personal project which i've been working on and was beginning to import it to try out the new macbook (yes I've stopped capitalising apple product names correctly. bugger it) and it kernel puked (grey screen of doom). %@$#! I thought. So I turned it off and on again. No love. The light on the front was blinking roughtly once a second. What the christ?! I was not impressed. My new beloved mac which supposedly "Just Works!" wasn't working at all! For all the critisisms PC's recieve, at least the work some of the time. %$@$! I was so angry, my face turned redder than my sunburn.

Day 4: I gave RMIT Computers Now a call and explained the problem. I stressed the urgency of the situation and that I desperately needed a replacement machine to do my video editing on. But! Disaster AGAIN! No Black MacBooks in stock. Andrew told me that there were no black macbooks in stock and that i'd have to wait for a black one. I told him that I couldn't afford to wait, I needed the computer post haste. He told me he'd sort something out for me and to bring it in and he'd look at it for me, in spite of the fact that the normal procedure is to take the laptop to a service centre for service, he helped me out! Damn good service. Kudos.

]I trotted off into the city with my laptop feeling far less ethusiastic about the product in my hands than when I first started this whole journey. But with the consolation that at least my iPod works fine! Upon arriving at Computers Now RMIT, Andrew took a look at my laptop quite quickly and concluded that it had a faulty ram slot and I was quite perplexed. I enquired was this a common occurance, to which he replied 'Like anything, sometimes a bad one will get through'. Fair enough I thought to myself. I said "so what do we do now?" - He said that he could order in a black one for me and it'd be 24 hours. I pitched the idea of down-grading to a mid-rage white model because "i just want the bloody thing to work and i need it to do that now! I don't care that i'm down-grading." - He agreed and we fixed it all up. I walked out of the store a little while later with a new MacBook (#2 - White), a working one. Hooray! I trotted home and started editing content that my mac was finally fixed. Or so I thought.

Day 5: I awoke to a kernel panic on my macbook screen. OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! This was really starting to bug me now. Two faulty laptops? What are the chances of this happening. The error was different this time. The light was just constantly on, not like the first one where it was blinking (the sleep light). I gave RMIT Computers Now a call and said "what the hell?!" - They informed me that the first time they swapped it over was just a special once off and they couldn't do it again as a service centre must evaluate it as they're trained technicians. Fair enough I thought.

So I brought it over to East Malvern Computers Now. This is where the nightmare begins. From the instant I walked in the door, the mood of the shop was a standoffish one. I walked straight over to the service counter and told my story to the service assistant. She was busy chewing gum and appeared to have an attitude problem. She was not at all friendly. I stressed the urgency of my dillema and she was just rude and abrupt about it and said "we have a lot of jobs to do, we can't look at it now, please come back later today" - I was a bit miffed, but I reluctantly agreed and left. She had told me that i'd get a call before close of business telling me the story with the laptop and what would be done. Her boss Michael (The senior service technician) would handle it. Fair enough. I thought. It was almost five thirty, no call. I thought to myself 'they've totally forgotten about this' so I gave them a call. I was instantly put onto Michael who was supremely rude and forceful. He informed me that my brand new laptop had a loose ram module and that it was all fine now. I was gobsmacked. He was simply supposed to evaluate the laptop, but insted he'd gone ahead and opened it up and played around with it! I informed him that under the warranty policy I was covered under the DOA period, in which I could select to get a new laptop pending the service centres approval that it was indeed faulty. Michael got really angry now, his voice changed and he was even more rude to me. He told me that I couldn't DOA and he wouldn't DOA because the laptop wasn't faulty anymore. I protested and got a bit upset saying to him that he'd altered my laptop and that it was against the DOA policy! He conceeded and agreed to do the DOA on the condition that he would (i had no choice) run the apple service diagnostics on the new machine before giving it to me, to ensure it was ok. I thought this was a bit unusual, but I agreed because I thought 'it'll only find any faults and i won't have to bugger around anymore'.

Day 6: Went into Computers Now East Malvern to pickup my new MacBook (#3). The service girl gave me a dirty look and called Michael to tell him that I was here about the macbook. I can only assume he told her to do the paperwork have a seat and it wouldn't take long. She took forever to get the invoice ready, at least half an hour. It wasn't as though it was busy, the shop had opened an hour or so before and no-one was around. I sat around and twiddled my thumbs. Patiently hoping this would be the end of this rubbish, I just wanted a macbook that worked! She finally finished the paperwork and called michael again. michael, he came out with the machine, said "here it is" and glared at me. He smirked and continued to glare as I walked away with my macbook. I wasn't sure what to make of this. It was as though he found it all very funny. I'm not sure, but it left a lasting impression that he was a faily odd fellow. But I didn't care, I had a new working macbook! which had passed the fault tests! Horray! FINALLY, this saga ends.... oh boy was I wrong.

It took me a while to notice it, but the machine's left speaker wasn't functional. It was at this point I went into orbit. I ranted, I raved, I killed innocent fluffy stuffed animals. When I was done having a tantrum, I composed myself and called a friend. My good friend decryption's last memory of this sitation was a wide eyed drooling mac user happy with his new purchase. As I started to tell decryption the story, he started to laugh, then get angry, then feel compassion and frustration. I spoke to him at length about the problem, we tried it all, different applications, resetting the macs settings, re-installing, the mixer settings, it just wouldn't spew forth sound from the left channel. $#@! We decided to enlist the help of the australian mac community mactalk. The unanomous response from this was "DOA, it's broken".

As decryption knew about my previous experience with Computers Now Malvern, he (having worked there), decided to help me out and come with me, in the hope that I wouldn't get messed about. Well, it's fortunate that he did. When I presented the problem to the service girl, she did the same thing - book it in, we'll get to it when we have time. So once again, I had to say - 'unacceptable!'. I mean, for crying out loud, this was my 3rd macbook! what the hell is going on here?! She tried to qwell my annoyance (Which was a non-event really) and I responded firmly that I would like it looked at now as it was such a simple problem. Some time passed and a service tech came out and said she couldn't look at it as I had to book it in. She was very rude and abrupt, however, after some whinging, she looked at it. About half an hour later, she came back and said 'yes, it's faulty, we'll doa it'.Great! another freaking laptop! this is ridiculious. My faith in macbooks was fast deteriorating to the point where I was convinced I was somehow cursed.

We waited.... and we waited.... and we waited.... and we waited. nearly an hour passed before she came back with the new macbook (#4 - white) from out the back. Like the last one, she'd tested it using apple service diagnostics. I was content because yet again, no hardware failures on the test and a new macbook. I'd now crossed my fingers, toes and other unmentionables (don't try this at home) in an effort to satisfy the apple gods. I got it home, started using it. looked great, seemed to work... but hang on a minute.... the dock is all whited out and the gamma looks off the charts. When you aimed the iSight at your head and used iChat, you couldn't see the dock, it was just a white blur. What the christ!?!?!?!?!. At this point, I knew that Computers Now East Malvern wouldn't be helpful any more as they were just becoming more and more rude and unwilling to help me. They probably would have, I was just sick of the general attitude. I busted a vein and just called Apple. I was put onto a lovely lady by the name of Madelina who was extremely helpful. She listened to my gripes about the Malvern Store (rude and unhelpful) and contacted them and arranged the whole DOA process for me. Seeing as I'd previously not cared about the fact I originally wanted a black macbook and switched to a white one purely because it was in stock, I figured it would be worth asking if she could arrange me to go back to what I originally purchased. Some time passed and she came back and said it was not a problem. Hooray! I rushed over to the store to pickup my new macbook and the manager of the store (Stefan) served me. He was extremely helpful and nice. As a way of saying "We're sorry we were jerks" he gave me an iPod Dock for my iPod nano. I must give kudos to him on this one. He didn't have to do this and it earned a lot of respect from me for doing it. After all, I'd been doing so much running around. I'd missed work/uni/presentations because of all of this. Not happy Jan.

In any case - I left happy with the knowledge that my new macbook (#5) would be finally ok (I was just dilusional, ok?). This macbook wasn't tested with the apple diagnostics like the last one, as I rushed over to the store to pick it up as I needed it ASAP before they closed. Before I left the store, i gave it a once over, everything looked to be where it needed to be, the laptop turned on and booted up. I thought that was good enough. Things were looking good for this macbook. I'd imported my movie into it, i was resuming editing it, it seemed fine. I saved my work, popped the lid down and went to sleep confident in the knowledge that my macbook saga was finally over.

Day 7: Upon waking the next day, the macbook was frozen. it wouldn't wake up. after a few minutes it presented me with the grey screen of death (kernel dump) and so I just powered it off and on thinking it was just being a bit rubbish. Then disaster struck - I was presented with a folder and a question mark. WHAT THE HELL?! - I called apple straight away and spoke to a rep who looked at my case, he transferred me to a tech who confirmed my hard drive appared to be stuffed. $#@%#@%^%^&$%^#$%R#@ This was purely insane. What the hell was going on here?! The tech assured me he was very sorry and he would get the case rep (madelina) to call me back when she was back in the office. about half an hour later, i got a call telling me i'd have to go into the head office as malvern east don't have any stock. I gave decryption a call and told him what was going on. He was about as annoyed as I was. In all his life he's never heard or experienced anything like this. He came along with me for moral support (more because he's a bastard who likes other peoples suffering haha, but i digress).

We arrived at South Melbourne Store (took me over an hour on the train.) and presented the laptop to the service manager as per my instruction from apple. He looked over it and agreed it was indeed faulty. We sat around for a while and mused about the whole situation. It was just so unbelievable what was happening, like something from a bad episode of one of the current affair programs. This would have to be the worst apple experience I've ever heard of in my entire life, and I've heard of some pretty raw deals some customers get. It just seemed unfathomable that this whole situation was occurring. I was so angry at this point, I used the store's phone and called Madelina back and spoke to her. I suggested to her that if they couldn't provide me with a macbook which worked, why don't they provide me with a macbook pro which works. This idea was instantly shot down as I was told it was not possible. I was trying to find a way so that I could have a working laptop which I wouldn't have to keep bringing back. I'd wasted 7 days of my life on this crap. 7 freaking days! This was beyond a joke. She told me that I could DOA the laptop as per our previous plan and hopefully all would be fine. So we tried again. And yet again, the laptop had a fault. I'd been handed the laptop in the store and I wanted to take a look at it before I left (it was a freaking hours journey!), it's fortunate I did. This laptop had the same problem was macbook #4, its gamma values were wrong. I demonstrated this to the service manager by placing it beside the display black macbook which had identical colour and brightness settings. The dock was all whited out and hard to see.

So I called Madelina back and was extremely upset. She said that she was going to have a meeting about the issue with her colleagues and that she'd give me a call back in an hour as to what was happening. So I went with decryption and wandered around for an hour then got a call from her. She said I had two options: To repair the laptop (macbook #6) or get a refund. She told me that apple had decided to stop proceeding with DOA on my laptops because of an 'environmental' issue which was apparently causing the laptops to fail. What a crock of shit. I opened the laptop in the store and it had a faulty screen. It's unacceptable that apple expect me to swallow this crap and have it repaired.. I've been through the biggest farce of my life. No company has had so many bad products. I suggested repeatedly that if the macbooks are generally faulty as they appear to be, that apple somehow come to the party to help me and I swap my macbook for a macbook pro. However, yet again, the idea was shot down. I can understand their position on the matter, but come on, six laptops. This is beyond a joke. I decided to go with the refund option. She kindly informed Computers now of my decision, omitting to inform them that she'd only given me two options: repair or refund. I mean, jesus christ, I need a portable mac that works! It's not an unreasonable expectation. If I didn't need one I'd have given up and said "screw apple" after the 2nd one died. So I'm left with no laptop.

Just for the sake of summary, here’s the list of macbooks and their issues:

MacBook #1 (Black) - Ram Slot
    MacBook #2 (White) - Ram Loose
    MacBook #3 (White) - Left Speaker
    MacBook #4 (White) - Gamma Values
    MacBook #5 (Black) - HDD Died
    MacBook #6 (Black) - Gamma Values

I guess at least the iPod I bought works. Decryption thinks i'm cursed, I think he's right.

Digg this story: Digg - MacBook Nightmare - 6 Lemons in a Row
    You should of put your life saving on black on the roulette table. Surely your luck was about to change.
    Mac Pro Quad Core 2.4GHz x 2, 8GB RAM, Radeon 5870.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5