Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

On another note, I must agree with you about the service you got at the RMIT Computer Now store, I got my Macbook from there.

Any word yet about your refund?

Quote Originally Posted by bonzi View Post
    On another note, I must agree with you about the service you got at the RMIT Computer Now store, I got my Macbook from there.

Any word yet about your refund?
    Yeah, it's a great store, they just need more staff, always hugely busy.

My refund was processed yesterday so it'll come through tommorow or monday then i'll buy a new laptop off the apple website I guess. Knowing my luck, it'll be DOA and burn down my house.

What's the appropriate equivalent to "break a leg"...

Burn your balls?

Quote Originally Posted by sendai View Post
    Burn your balls?
    Nah, apple did that already.

Thanks for using up Australia's quota for defective MacBooks. Now the rest of us will get the perfect ones.

Quote Originally Posted by icant View Post
    Thanks for using up Australia's quota for defective MacBooks. Now the rest of us will get the perfect ones.

- You're welcome.

Default similar experience

I too had a similar mac experience with a twist ...

I purchased a macbookpro from Apple just under a year ago. Upon receiving it I realized that the screen had three blow pixels right in the center of the screen. I sent it back and received a second one within a week. Everything seemed fine but one night I was opening a photoshop document and the thing just froze. After rebooting I too got the question mark folder and the grey screen of death.

Off to the repair shop, initially I took it to MyMacdealer in Calgary AB... let me just say everyone in that shop seemed like they'd rather take a bullet than help me out in any way shape or form. The old dood with one earring told me they were so busy they wouldn't be able to look at it for three weeks... I was what! three weeks! Upon arguing with the guy for half an hour he told me to leave it with them and he would do his best to get it looked at.

Day 4: I call to see if they had looked at the machine yet, the technician asked me if mine was the 19 inch laptop? haha I would have laughed if I wasn't so scared that this was coming from a certified Mac tech. So he tells me its the logic board and the part is on back order, I ask how long does this usually take, he says well we have computers here that have been waiting up to six months for backordered parts... at this point Im like this guy can't be serious... who in their right mind would have their computer there for six months... and then I remember of friend of mine who owned an Emac and how he took it to a repair shop was dinked around 4 months before finally having his dad call to get his
    Dad call the shop and coincidently getting his computer computer fixed and returned within a couple days, and that he took it to MyMacDealer.

Ok so I decide that I can't wait up to 6 months and head down to the shop where I make up a story saying that Im just going to send it in to Apple myself and that I don't want the shop to repair it. The lady I speak is not at all happy and disappears into the back for what seems like an hour and returns with my macbook.

I then take my machine to Westworld computers... wow the experience was like night and day. The service tech came out to ask me what the problem was I explained the story and told him myMacDealer diagnosed the problem as a faulty logic board and that the part was on back order. they assured me they would do everything possible to get me the part ASAP.

So heres where things get little weird, later on that night I get a call from the tech guy , upon opening my laptop they find a note addressed to Apple stating that this customer has spilled juice or some kind of liquid inside the laptop and therefore his warranty is void! The tech assures me that he has examined the computer and the logic board and finds no trace of and liquid within the laptop and is just as shocked as me.

I dropped my jaw, I could not believe the low that these a-holes would go to just because I wanted to take to my business elsewhere, not to mention the danger of inserting a piece of paper inside a friggin laptop! Are you insane!

Anways long story WestWorld repaired my Laptop and very timely manor and their service was impeccable if I ever have another issue I will not hesitate to take back to them.

Hey Rammoth, I stumbled upon your plight through Digg and wanted to pass along my condolences on having such bad luck with the Macs.

Not to get all conspiracy theory on you, but I do wonder if Apple are being secretive about problems in their products. My iMac G5 with 20" screen randomly shuts down due to heat problems and Apple has been handing out completely erroneous information and bogus fixes to many customers.

One thing to keep in mind with Apple products is that Steve Jobs will insist on form over function in many cases so that certain engineering challenges may not be fully resolved in time for product launch, or ever. Inadequate cooling for the slick looking iMac cases is an big example - that flat panel was never designed to hold a modern CPU of any kind, but Jobs wanted it that way, so it was made that way.

Hope you get things sorted soon mate!

Cheers

Default My macbook Pro Debacle

long and short, I ordered my MBP on day one, have had problems on and off ,
    LCD had spots
    stayed on when lid closed(cooking MBP)
    random ejects drive when no disc in it
    would not refresh to normal after DVI to s-vid adapter removed
    express slot doesn't work.....
    the original whirring noise

after being repaired and mailed back 3 times, Apple is giving me a new one, Hooray for me!

Are you using Apple RAM, or 3rd party for starters. Some resellers, especially ones which also deal with PCs generally stick in dodgy ram.

I work at Pentagon Digital (an Apple premium reseller), and we have many only DOA'ed (14 day return) about 4 or 5 of them (and yes, I'm being honest). Maybe they had ancient stock.

And is it an intel core duo 2 or 1. The intel core duo 2's are a lot more reliable then the 1's.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fluffy Duck View Post
    I am really scared to get a macbook OR macbook pro these days. All I seem to hear are faults after faults after faults.
    I picked up a 17" MBP from David Jones two nights ago and it's been flawless so far. I guess my story isn't very sexy though.

Unfortunately the diagnosis is that our family is cursed like Rammoth in the original post.

We will never again buy a Mac without testing it fully in store before handing the cash over.

We have had a DOA 1.33 Ghz 15" Powerbook. Purchased in Perth. Our first Mac we did not know the screen was unable to display brighter than 40% of the brightness of other Macs. We only discovered this 9 months later when we purchased Mac No. two. The powerbook was our work machine and we could not do without it for a day let alone the six weeks we were told by the Apple repair center in New Zealand (Renaissance). We asked about loaner machines and we were told a firm "no". This machine died an early death as soon as we could replace it. It never went in for repair because we could not live without it for that long.

a 1.33 Ghz 14" iBook was our second machine. Purchased in New Zealand. It is important to note that there is no Apple in New Zealand. Apple have forced Mac users to buy through one importer called Renaissance who also handle repairs. Renaissance has their Macs shipped to New Zealand through Apple Australia. We had the extra bluetooth and WiFi added in as factory fitted options on purchase. This was our big mistake. In the fitting process the top case was damaged, and we suspect the bottom case was damaged as well. The whole case was buckled upward so the trackpad was more than a centimeter above the internals of the case, the keyboard had popped out of the case when we opened the box. We were not offered DOA. We have only learned about the DOA policy in the past few weeks. Apple do not advertise this option when people do have faulty machines. The case was replaced but they damaged case No.2 when fitting it so it never fitted back together. One corner always sagged. The bottom of the case gave us trouble as soon as we got the machine back. Day one the battery falls to the floor. We assume we did not tighten up the battery latch. Later that day the battery falls to the floor for a second time. We really inspect the latch. The latch has no spring loading and prefers to move itself to the unlocked position. Importnat to note that we saw cracks in the plastic holding the external latch in as soon as we inspected the latch. These cracks grew over the next six months until parts of plastic fell out from around the latch. The second or third time we sent this machine in for repar caused more damage. The metal "coin turn" disk had come back with a crack. We also note that two of the laptop feet were missing. Not just the rubber, but the metal holders have been sheared off. Renaissance never fix either of these problems even though the we send the machine back for repair again and again. We had the machine in service for half of the first nine months of ownership before we just gave up and accepted that we would never get that machine to work. Interesting to note that the WiFi card we payed to have fitted also never worked close to advertised. On non Apple Base stations it could work (at less than 10Kbps) at line of sight at 10 meters. With the Apple base station it wouldn't even do 2Kbps at 2 feet. At least its WiFi reception was better than our Powerbook.

The iBook is now dead. It has a common problem. The motherboard screws came loose and shorted the motherboard. It is interesting to us that PC repair people can tell us what killed our iBook before we can explain it and claim it is a "very common problem with the iBook" but Apple people have never heard of this iBook fault before.

The Apple Airport Extreme was purchased from a different reseller in New Zealand. It worked, but slowly, extremely slowly. Line of sight at less than 10 meters. As long as it gave some signal it was not faulty as far as Renaissance was concerned. Remember Renaissance is Apples representative. These people pay for Apple advertising and have an exclusive deal with Apple that Apple stand by no matter how many people complain directly to Apple USA.

We are currently using a Mac Mini that has various problems. Nothing critical thankfully. But problems like the DOA USB hub inside the 20" cinema screen remind us of the reliability of Apple hardware in this part of the world.

We suspect that, at best, Apple have lower quality controls for hardware shipped to this part of the world, or at worst sends us refurbished machines from USA that they sell as new. So we will not leave a store before we test any new machine completely now. Every port, every button.

Just reading another post reminded me of another iBook fault. After one of the repair trips the machine would eject a disk wether there was a disk in the drive or not. It seemed random at first and then we noticed that it had to be a short as every time we pressed on one part of the lower case it would eject every time. This was never fixed as well.

Well, I'm glad my Mac Mini 1.25 G4 PPC only had to go in twice for repairs in 12 months, luckily both times were in the first year and under warranty. Fingers crossed no more faults.
    I'm so sorry others had such bad problems, I think you should contact 'Fair Trading' as these situations are far from fair.
    It is also very disappointing to see such a drop in quality control.
    I Love My Fuji X100S

Cool A bit of payback?

Quote Originally Posted by Rammoth View Post

MacBook #2 (White) - Ram Loose
    I think all of your troubles stem from your overzealous desire for perfection. Having a RAM stick loose and then refusing the computer after they properly seated it was overboard in my mind. The rest of the problems would not have occurred if you'd just accepted the perfectly good computer that didn't get one of the memory sticks pushed all the way down. Big deal. Next time maybe you won't be over the top ridiculously anal.

Quote Originally Posted by girlbunny View Post
    The iBook is now dead. It has a common problem. The motherboard screws came loose and shorted the motherboard. It is interesting to us that PC repair people can tell us what killed our iBook before we can explain it and claim it is a "very common problem with the iBook" but Apple people have never heard of this iBook fault before.
    That's definately not a common problem, and nothing I've seen myself on an iBook or read about about has mentioned this. I've no idea how a bog-standard PC repair person can pinpoint the problem as being screws "shorting" the system when they've never delved into an iBook themselves. It doesn't make sense.

The main issue - supposedly "ironed out" with 1Ghz+ iBooks is delamination of the video chipset due due to a flaw in case and/or motherboard design.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by RAmeeti View Post
    I think all of your troubles stem from your overzealous desire for perfection. Having a RAM stick loose and then refusing the computer after they properly seated it was overboard in my mind. The rest of the problems would not have occurred if you'd just accepted the perfectly good computer that didn't get one of the memory sticks pushed all the way down. Big deal. Next time maybe you won't be over the top ridiculously anal.
    ... you sound like a reseller
    My Mountain Bike Blog

Sweet trades simo, avolve, Jedda, zmit, ryano (x2), emerson, Nevets_Anderson, cbennie, step_andy and more...

I purchased an imac g5 20" 11 mnths ago..it lasted 5 weeks before the motherboard died..had it repaired by the resseller i purchased it from INFININTE SYSTEMS in brissie and it has not played up since...will never go back to a windows based pc ever again...
    HMMM if apples hardware was as good as its software microsoft would go broke
    Up Here in my Tree..........trading stories with the leaves

24"imac intel 2.4ghz, 20"g5 imac , ipod nano 2nd gen 2 gig, ipod nano video 8 gig green, ipod shuffle purple, 80g ipod classic,

Quote Originally Posted by girlbunny View Post
    This was never fixed as well.
    I think 90% of the issues you have had have been with Renaissance being dodgy. The faults that they failed to fix, the parts that they didn't replace, it's ridiculous.

I would seriously question my abilities as a tech if I handed machines back to clients in the state that you received yours.

Exclamation

UPDATE:

The refund was finally processed and in a last ditch effort to get a working MacBook, I've ordered a customized build from the apple store online (mid-range white MacBook with 2gig ram). I hope that by doing this I get a built-to-order machine direct from the factory which works. I have a suspicion that all my laptops were from the same batch, and perhaps that batch is just plain crap. Here's hoping.

In the interim I've been able to scrounge another MacBook from a colleague temporarily which works PERFECTLY. This whole saga is simply a joke. It's just beyond belief.

I will keep you all posted when the new one finally arrives. Fingers/toes/everything crossed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast