Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

The KeyChain is reasonably annoying, getting more and more annoying what is the best way to kill it (get rid of it)?

KeyChain is used with MSN, AppleTalk etc and I connect a lot of AppleTalk network and the message comes up all the time which is driving me up the wall..

is there a way?
    Thanks
    Tristan

In which program is it annoying you? The key chain is very handy for networking etc...

But if it's safari that is bothering you by keeping passwords:

Safari Preferences>Autofill>untick usernames and passwords
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

Oh.. forgot to add.. I am using OS 9.2.2 not X
    Cheers
    Tristan

ahhh... the land of the unknown... (well for me, anyway)
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

What message keeps coming up? If the keychain isn't working properly, it might start asking you repeatedly if you want to store passwords in the keychain. In that case, if you haven't already, just create a keychain and have the programs use it.

The idea is, the passwords each program would normally store individually are stored in one place instead. It means if you forget your password for a service, you can access it.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Just disable them with the extension manager. This some times causes problems but at least it will be gone.

jameso

Never encountered KeyChain under OS9 but I love it in Panther. Using KeyChain means for me that I don't have to frequently cough up my complicated passwords repeatedly whenever I want to access something, someplace, that I've been to before. KeyChain is simply brilliant and a godsend for someone who values the use of strong security. Learn to love it. In the end KeyChain saves you some time, and some typing.

Caio...
    Peter
    Late 2013 Mac Pro fully optioned + three 27" Thunderbolt Displays
    Late 2014 iMac/Retina fully optioned; Original 15" MBP/Retina fully optioned

Can't say I've ever been a fan of the keychain thingy. My way of avoiding unpleasantness is to use a standardised password (complex, not simple) and use this for just about everything. Usernames I try to standardise, but this can be problematic. Fortunately, my main username is easy to remember (when I can use it). Other UN's are based on initials and birthdate and are generally not too much bother.

I used to try to generate unique user ID's but became hoplessly confused (pete will say 'then use the keychain&#39. However, I LIKE authenticating everything manually when required.

cheers, kim