Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: macbook inferno

Ok no prob m8

I wonder if his HD is fried...

Yeah as pointed out in a previous post , I would never leave any portable device charging unattended either as I have personally seen three devices burn up over the years. One was a cordless drill being charged by a window installer at lunchtime while we were doing some renovations to a clients house. Something went wrong with the charge process and a four inch square hole was burned into their newish carpet. Thank god they had tendered out the window replacement to someone else and it wasn't one of our guys. Another was at home here while I was charging up some AA batteries and the charger melted on a wooden shelf despite it supposedly having a cutoff switch if the temps got over a certain limit. Ended up with totalled charger + four fried batteries and a scorch mark on the shelf.Third one was at a friends place last Christmas and their laptop (" Its a Sony ") melted enough so that the battery nearly dropped right through the bottom of the case. Papers piled up all around the laptop too. Luckily we were downstairs having a beer and we could smell that nasty melting plastic smell. Scary stuff all of them so now I don't leave anything charging unattended or out of sight.
    Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

Pics moved to first post

OMG Thats bad! Lucky it wasnt charging on the couch!

Wow I didn't think it was that bad.

I was lucky to catch it soon after it went up. If the flames weren't put out, it would have melted a lot more - you can see it was turning yellow and black and the plastic started to get all stringy.
    Also the space bar and track pad are very textured now which didn't show up in the photos.

all I can say is Dammmmmmmmmmm !

Jesus, thats not good, hope Apple does something about this.

so gnarly man, makes me scared to leave my macbook in my room at night

definitely scary. I will be following the advice above and not leave charging devices unattended.

The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Owch.

I can't recall if the batteries are Sony batteries, but there are a few problems with them (mainly refusing charge.)

I'd call Apple again, ask to be escalated, don't hang-up until you talk to a service-tech that's in Australia. An AASP won't be able to give you a replacement straight away (unless they decide to give you a machine out of stock.) Apple should be able to get the ball rolling straight away (organise a replacement machine for you.)

Also good luck on data recovery...hope you backed up.

Holy crap! I hope you'll be getting a full replacement and some compensation!
    | 2.0 GHz MacBook | 2G iPod Shuffle |

Holy shit. One more thing to keep me awake at night...

Anyone want to give odds of the HD surviving?
    Please keep us informed about how Apple responds to this.

I have shared this to several forums I am on overseas. Also you might be intrested in this article last week about the battery saga.

http://www.betanews.com/article/3M_S...ies/1173478735

That's good. Something needs to be done about this because it's soo dangerous! Imagine if that had happened on my lap on an airplane. (I have used it several times during flights).

Anyway, I'm hoping they will offer me some sort of compensation in the way of upgrade or extra memory for the replacement or at least something.

So I'm guessing it's not like that Macbook Pro that got shot and still turned on

haha just kidding. That is crazy that it fully burnt up! Gets me a bit worried as I type this on my macbook thinking back to uni earlier today when my battery life suddenly got much shorter than it has been over the last couple of weeks, even though I was doing the same activites on it.

Hmmm fingers crossed my macbook doesn't burst into flame in my sleep!

theov

I work at a service centre in Mont Albert/box hill area in Victoria, and I'm telling you, our first response would be to contact Apple customer relations on 133 622 (make sure you ask to be put through to the Australian team). And I'm sure you'll be able to tell them your issue

They will probably tell you to bring it down to a service centre. Speak to them first, they'll send you to the closest service centre.

I did that this morning. They told me to take it to a service centre like you said, so I will be doing that tomorrow.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast