Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smart Folders?

Default Smart Folders?

Do you use smart folders? If so how do you use them. I have one for .doc. It is a bit boring but nonetheless very useful

I have one called Today which is defined as Last modified is within 1 day. I use it for various things but most often troubleshooting - do something, then look in here & find out what files have changed.

type = disk image. i download way too many little shareware apps, this helps me keep track of them and back them up when the folder becomes too fat.

I've never found a use for them.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    I have one called Today which is defined as Last modified is within 1 day. I use it for various things but most often troubleshooting - do something, then look in here & find out what files have changed.
    ditto

MactrixAUS Guest

I have around 5 of them. Varying from Registrations, Gmail, MacTalk, Apple and so on.

Interesting - I never realised that the Finder had smart folders, but now I know they're there I will use them in the future. The only use I can think of at the moment is the "Modified Today" one. I wish there was some way to have a smart folder that says "Modified in the last 2 hours"......

MactrixAUS: Are you talking about Finder smart folders, or Mail.app smart folders?
    "The need is not for, say, half a million -inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million -inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com

MactrixAUS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by forgie View Post
    MactrixAUS: Are you talking about Finder smart folders, or Mail.app smart folders?
    Bit's of both Just realized it's Finder, not mail

I use them as part of an automator script to get my pictures that have a 4+ star rating to rotate on my desktop. It is a tedious method that i wish i didn't have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by forgie View Post
    The only use I can think of at the moment is the "Modified Today" one. I wish there was some way to have a smart folder that says "Modified in the last 2 hours"......
    Sort by date modified in the Today folder and you can get the required range easily enough.

I only use "Today" and "7 days" smart folders in mail. All my recent files are handled by Default Folder. I'm surprised Apple doesn't implement a smart folder system in Open/Save dialogues like what Default Folder has.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

"Added since last HD backup"

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbils View Post
    I've never found a use for them.
    Me either.

They seem pretty pointless if you're organised. I use smart playlists all the time in in iTunes and a little bit in Mail.

I use smart folders at work, as we have both an ARCHIVE drive and a WORK in PROGRESS DRIVE - so I use smart folders to show ALL of particular clients no matter where the jobs are stored

didn't even know these existed, but the "modified today" folder sounds great! the only reason we all need to be so organised with our folders is because the search and smart-folder implementation isn't quite right yet, but hopefully soon we'll get to the point where drives are just "storage" and you just dump everything into one location and then use smart-views and searches to return the things you want, or browse files in a non-standard type of way via metadata

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    Me either.

They seem pretty pointless if you're organised. I use smart playlists all the time in in iTunes and a little bit in Mail.
    I don't think using smart folders relate to organisation level. All my documents are organised in appropriate folders however using smart folders allows different levels of organisation such as all documents I'm working on today, whether that be a resume, article, or powerpoint. It is kind of like labels in gmail.

rtc Guest

Smart folders

vs.

Saved search parameters.

Convince me there's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by rtc View Post
    Smart folders

vs.

Saved search parameters.

Errr... there is no difference.

rtc Guest

Precisely my point.

IMHO "smart folders" should be displayed as files (which they are) not pseudo folders, and open with a search app (finder? spotlight? take your pick) to reveal a current search results window with those saved params.

But thats just bein' picky.

Quote Originally Posted by rtc View Post
    Smart folders

vs.

Saved search parameters.

Uh, Smart Folders is a cooler name? Saved Search Parameters sounds like what Microsoft would call it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast