Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default bootcamp beta reliability

i have read alot about all the bad things the beta can do eg. partition corruption, which means having to do reinstals of both os's. anyway. i was hoping people could share all their positive experiences before i go ahead and install xp on my mac. im sure the negative comments are just a case of people wanting to bitch about negative experiences and no one thinking of reporting the positive. so if someone could confirm my suspicions i would be very grateful. otherwise i'll just have to wait for the final version

BlowMeDown Guest

I been using Bootcamp since it's first release and it has been working flawlessly for me. I've had no troubles with either partitions and now I'm using the latest Parallels build with it which allows me to access my Bootcamp partition whilst still booted in OS X.

I've only been running BootCamp 1.1.2 with windows Vista but I havn't had any problems with that yet. I only wish Parallels also supported access to the BootCamp partition for Vista as well.
    iPhone 3GS 32GB | MBP Unibody 17" 2.66Ghz 4GB | MBP 17" 2.33Ghz 3GB | MSi Wind 1.6GHz 2GB | EyeTV Diversity | Airport Extreme
    XboxZone

Bootcamp will fail to load Windows XP for me about 1/10 times. I usually need to restart the system, enter safe mode, restart, and then it comes back.
    Something about Jimby.

thanks for the replies guys, still not 100% sure about going ahead with it though. anyone else have some positives they could add?

100% success rate for me. I've run it on 3 machines with no problems. One of the machines also gets booted into Windows fairly often. (Damn Far Cry game)
    Grrrr, Arrrrghhh!!!
    http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8259491826/photos
    My Photo Gallery

benproc,

As a beta you can't expect it all - but anecdotally it works well with XP SP2 with no issues, Vista less so.

You might prefer to wait for the release of Leopard, which promises much tighter integration of Bootcamp into OS X, and a rumoured virtualisation mode a la VMWare or Parallels.

JB

It has worked flawlessly for me.

The only problem I had was that the XP disc I originally installed was NOT SP2. Fun!

I don't use the Windows side for anything as it's a private copy of Windows (i.e. not work), rockets along though on Core 2 Duos.

Bit of trouble seeing Wireless networks, but that may be WPA2, we have now gone back to WPA due to drop-outs.
    iPad 2 (64Gb GSM), 32Gb iPhone 4 (4.3.2), 24" iMac 2.8 C2D, 15" MBP i7 2.8GHz, Apple TV 160 Gb.

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

When I first did it I accidentally tried to install WinXP onto my Mac OS platform, but that was my own damn fault. Fortunately I hadn't actually done anything yet so nothing was lost

BlowMeDown Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    .... You might prefer to wait for the release of Leopard, which promises much tighter integration of Bootcamp into OS X, and a rumoured virtualisation mode a la VMWare or Parallels. JB

Oh man I hope that rumour is true. I've read about that over the internet too and while I like Parallels I think it would be so much better to have something integrated into the OS that does the same.

for my 2 cents I say this leave windows as far away from the mac os as possible, its just asking for trouble.

I used bootcamp from day dot without issue with XP on a RevA macbook pro - Very snappy indeed

I then decided I couldn't be arsed rebooting to use Windows, so installed Parallels and ditched the Win partition
    Then Parallels went and added bootcamp functionality! :o
    Oh well, couldnt be stuffed re-installing xp right now for bootcamp so am waiting to see what Leopard brings us in the way of bootcamp and possible virtual integration into the OS.