Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default iPhone TV ad shown in US during Oscars

This iPhone ad was shown in the USA a few hours ago during the Academy Awards.

I like it but, much like Apple's Mac ads, it doesn't show much of the device itself.

Yip, it's poor on showing any actual benefits, I don't think it did Apple any good apart from raising the profile or general awareness of the product... actually it's not a terribly creative ad when you compare it to some of the graphically interesting ipod commercials. Yes it's "topical" placed as it was in the middle of the film industries biggest events but really I don't like it at all. How much did the media placement cost for that? I hate to think. Perhaps this was the Superbowl ad that never was. Very underwhelming.
    Bennettnz
    Macbook Pro 13"/Mac Pro 2.66ghz quad/imac 24" x 3/iMac 21"/iMac 17"/G5 1.8 ghz/eMac 1.25ghz/Apple TV/iPad/iPhone... iDebt massive - (thanks Steve!)

shit ad to put it nicely
    Sick of Bullshit? Go here
    www.youngausskeptics.com

iBook 14'' 1GB Ram, MBP(santa) 15" 4GB ram, iPod Nano(3G) 4gb, iPod shuffle 512mb, iPod Touch 8gb.

Its a once off. The continuing copyright license cost of each of those small clips would be horrendous. Its a Super Bowl-like ad - the 1984 ad showed nothing about the Mac at all, but is still regarded as one of the best made ads of all time.

The movie content tied in perfectly for the audience who would be watching the Oscars (and there would have been bucketloads in the US). No doubt, there will be forum posts on who can name all the actors/actresses that appeared in the iPhone ad.

I don't think it was sh&t. Clever, once off marketing. It was no 1984, but its served its purpose. At least Apple weren't sh*tcanning the opposition like the Mac/PC ads :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lavo View Post
    I don't think it was sh&t. Clever, once off marketing. It was no 1984, but its served its purpose.
    I agree. Perfectly themed ad and it says what it needs to in a nice way ("this is the next step in phone tech"). I like it.

nicwithsticks Guest

I thought it was well done. I expect to see more of these in the coming months.

Perfect ad.

Grows the brand months ahead of release without giving anything away or making promises they can't keep.

I can't say I liked that, I could however say that it was absolute rubbish, something I'd expect from some crappy telco

It looked rushed, and didn't pull me in like Apple's ad's normally do
    32GB iPhone 3GS, Unibody MacBook Pro.
    last.fm| trades: anaami, Bob, vwl, and lots of other people.

Quote Originally Posted by lavo View Post

The movie content tied in perfectly for the audience who would be watching the Oscars (and there would have been bucketloads in the US).
    Exactly.
    My Mountain Bike Blog

Sweet trades simo, avolve, Jedda, zmit, ryano (x2), emerson, Nevets_Anderson, cbennie, step_andy and more...

I'd liked it as well. It was easy to see the message of the ad, the iPhone is the next generation in phone technology.

It reminded me of the Think Different ad, in its style. No broken promises in this ad :-)

The Mac/PC ads don't really say much either, other than pulling the piss out of Windows and PCs. Apple never mentions what the majority of home PCs do most - play games. The Mac is still miles behind in that regards. As far as the iPod ads go, the first was groundbreaking. Once we got past 5 in the series, wel....oh hum. People dancing around in a coloured background with an iPod and a hip song of the moment. Big deal ;-)

Looks to me like they hierd the optus, dodo and roof seal ad creating companies...
    Sick of Bullshit? Go here
    www.youngausskeptics.com

iBook 14'' 1GB Ram, MBP(santa) 15" 4GB ram, iPod Nano(3G) 4gb, iPod shuffle 512mb, iPod Touch 8gb.

reminds me of the old iMac ads "Say hello to iMac".

An add that I saw years ago on TV was like ten seconds of black saying "It's coming" - I think it was for play station or something, bloody effective !

Hello.....I get that bit now too :-) On screen for the original mac unvieling, and "hello, again" for the iMac. Clever :-) All for groundbreaking products.

Question for the people out there who think the ad was sh&t - how would you have done the ad? 30secs to convey your message. Take into account Apple received hours worth of free advertising when the iPhone was announced, going through how it worked and what it does (and the fact that its still, as far as we know, not finished).

The ad is also viewable on apple's site (just www.apple.com)

You guys got to remember that there is 6 months (I think) until the iPhone is released.

This ad was purely to generate hype (or more specifically to build on the hype already generated). Showing off the functionality or anything like that would be pointless at this point.

The big thing I thought out of the ad is that the release is still June. Either everything is still going to plan, or there are a few bugs to iron out (and the June date was factored in if there were major problems, earlier if ok).

Sounds like Apple's new ad is a little familiar:

Seen it before?

It would have been a hell of a lot more clever if everyone in those clips was actually saying "goodbye" then the iphone comes up saying hello. Goodbye old technologies, goodbye status quo, hello tomorrow.

What about Bryan Ferry singing "this is tomorrow calling..."
    Bennettnz
    Macbook Pro 13"/Mac Pro 2.66ghz quad/imac 24" x 3/iMac 21"/iMac 17"/G5 1.8 ghz/eMac 1.25ghz/Apple TV/iPad/iPhone... iDebt massive - (thanks Steve!)

mikinoz Guest

Identify the computer in the sex in the city scene for $0 cash prize!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast