Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: 2nd Hand Macs?

I'm in the market for a 2nd hand Apple computer. Just something that will run Panther well and has DVI out (I don't mind getting dirty and upgrading the videocard via a PC BIOS flash, a Radeon 9000 might be good)
    I'm not fond of eBay much, and don't have too much to spend (probably max would be $600)
    I'd be most interested in a G4/400 to 500MHz PowerMac... but any Mac would do.

To get to the point, I'm asking if anyone wants to sell theirs or give me some tips on what I should be doing to get a good deal, and where I should be looking.

Please, I can't take Windows anymore!!!!

my G3 350 was $300 from eBay - from Macquarie Bank's surplus/old equipment department. shipping was free and i got invoices and all that.

might be hard tho if you don't have an account. also i'm not sure if they're still selling them. *goes to check*
    oh, they had G4s as well... *now goes to check*

edit: ahh... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...2&category=4607

why do i get the feeling that you're the highest bidder?
    if you're not, then that's one big coincidence.

by the way, they are the people i got my G3 from. definitely recommend them.

edit2: u know, i'm on the verge of seriously looking at a clamshell 300MHz iBook... B)
    I'd rather be posting from an Apple //c

Originally posted by cmetom@Jan 9 2004, 03:17 AM
    my G3 350 was $300 from eBay - from Macquarie Bank's surplus/old equipment department. shipping was free and i got invoices and all that.

might be hard tho if you don't have an account. also i'm not sure if they're still selling them. *goes to check*
    oh, they had G4s as well... *now goes to check*

edit: ahh... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...2&category=4607

why do i get the feeling that you're the highest bidder?
    if you're not, then that's one big coincidence.

by the way, they are the people i got my G3 from. definitely recommend them.

edit2: u know, i'm on the verge of seriously looking at a clamshell 300MHz iBook... B)
    heh, yeah, I'm the highest bider on that G4

Would you know roughly how much it would cost to ship from Sydney to Melbourne?

You could try applebits.net not as cheap as ebay though.

I've purchased a few things from there...

Originally posted by decryption@Jan 9 2004, 09:50 AM
    heh, yeah, I'm the highest bider on that G4

unsure, as they're fairly large... but then again, they use their own courier so...

maybe $50? that's a wild guess and could be greatly innacurate either way..

Originally posted by cmetom+Jan 9 2004, 01:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cmetom @ Jan 9 2004, 01:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-decryption@Jan 9 2004, 09:50 AM
    heh, yeah, I&#39;m the highest bider on that G4

unsure, as they&#39;re fairly large... but then again, they use their own courier so...

maybe &#036;50? that&#39;s a wild guess and could be greatly innacurate either way.. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, I was guessing the same too.
    Apparently, for a similar spec machine from one of the 2nd hand Mac dealers in Melbourne, I can expect to pay &#036;1,000. So I think paying &#036;50 to get it to Melbourne is worth it.

Originally posted by decryption+Jan 9 2004, 01:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (decryption @ Jan 9 2004, 01:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by cmetom@Jan 9 2004, 01:50 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-decryption
    @Jan 9 2004, 09:50 AM
    heh, yeah, I&#39;m the highest bider on that G4

unsure, as they&#39;re fairly large... but then again, they use their own courier so...

maybe &#036;50? that&#39;s a wild guess and could be greatly innacurate either way..
    Yeah, I was guessing the same too.
    Apparently, for a similar spec machine from one of the 2nd hand Mac dealers in Melbourne, I can expect to pay &#036;1,000. So I think paying &#036;50 to get it to Melbourne is worth it. [/b][/quote]
    u pulled out&#33;&#33; how come? i know u said "couldn&#39;t contact seller" but...

Well... I decided to save up for a PowerMac Dual G4 1.25GHz. Apple is selling them for &#036;2500. I reckon I should be able to have enough by around April/June. So I think it&#39;s worth saving up for. Then I can sell my PC and get some extra cash maybe for an iBook G4 800 for uni

Originally posted by decryption@Jan 9 2004, 09:32 PM
    Well... I decided to save up for a PowerMac Dual G4 1.25GHz. Apple is selling them for &#036;2500. I reckon I should be able to have enough by around April/June. So I think it&#39;s worth saving up for. Then I can sell my PC and get some extra cash maybe for an iBook G4 800 for uni
    ok good move.

i&#39;m more impulsive. i&#39;ve bid 200 on a G3-366 iBook:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...egory=4606&rd=1

Besides the already mentioned AppleBits, other second hand dealers I know of are MicroSeconds (http://www.microseconds.com.au) based in Sydney and New Wave Systems (http://www.newwavesystems.com.au) based in Melbourne...

Another way to find cheap Apple hardware is to check out the &#39;fire sales&#39; at Next Byte and Computers Now, though the savings can vary...

I also have some stuff for sale on occasion, but nothing at the moment... (Might have a 15" 700mhz G4 LCD iMac for sale soon though, if anyone&#39;s interested - around &#036;1300-&#036;1400) :-)

Originally posted by RocketFactory@Jan 24 2004, 12:40 AM
    Besides the already mentioned AppleBits, other second hand dealers I know of are MicroSeconds (http://www.microseconds.com.au) based in Sydney and New Wave Systems (http://www.newwavesystems.com.au) based in Melbourne...

Another way to find cheap Apple hardware is to check out the &#39;fire sales&#39; at Next Byte and Computers Now, though the savings can vary...

I also have some stuff for sale on occasion, but nothing at the moment... (Might have a 15" 700mhz G4 LCD iMac for sale soon though, if anyone&#39;s interested - around &#036;1300-&#036;1400) :-)
    If you want to sell that, hold on until Monday and you can put it in our trading forum
    You&#39;&#39;ll know it&#39;s going to a good home then :P