Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default iPhone dispute settled [merged]

from ilounge.com

Apple and Cisco said late Wednesday that they have settled their dispute involving the iPhone trademark. Under the terms of the agreement, both companies are free to use the “iPhone” trademark on their products, and each side will dismiss any pending actions regarding the trademark. In addition, Apple and Cisco will “explore opportunities for interoperability in the areas of security, and consumer and enterprise communications,” according to an announcement from the companies.

Apple press release here.

Wierd....

Where's the corporate blackmail? Where's the $100 million settlement?

Perhaps Cisco want to hook up with Apple to deliver cisco software/hardware in Xserves or something, and figured that they could negotiate terms better by leaving the threat of the iPhone trademark lawsuit on the table. I dunno.
    "The need is not for, say, half a million ¼-inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million ¼-inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com

I read that Cisco wanted to use the trademark because of how much press the Apple iPhone was/is getting, therefore also giving press to Cisco's iPhone. I'm pretty sure it was on MacRumors somewhere.

That doesn't make any sense - the cisco iPhone is a very small fish in terms of these two companies. They would have been bargaining at a much higher level.... unless Cisco actually have no legal rights in this situation, and they really are just grabbing some cheap PR. Cisco have owned the TM for ages though, so I would assume that they DO have legal rights - in which case we're back at the "bigger fish" theory.
    "The need is not for, say, half a million ¼-inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million ¼-inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com

Cisco failed to use or defend their trademark for years. They "Lost" it under the terms of the trademark office. They had no chips to play with.

Apple just can't be bothered with a court case.

Apple will not pay a settlement fee to someone who no longer has legitimate claim to the name.

Cisco don't want a huge embarrassment. So BS press release was drafted. Apple gets their phone, Cisco get NOTHING (cos the press release was face saving BS) and no one has to pay money to the courts or each other.

Nice, simple. Tidy. Oh and fast.

Without lawyers, the issue would have been managed like this:

At a restaurant:
    Person A: Hi, may I take this chair please.
    Person B: Sure, go ahead.
    Person A: Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by icant View Post
    Without lawyers, the issue would have been managed like this:

At a restaurant:
    Person A: Hi, may I take this chair please.
    Person B: Sure, go ahead.
    Person A: Thanks.

In the Western movies it would have gone like this:

Outlaw A: Howdee pardner, can I take this chair.
    Outlaw B: Sure, go ahead pardner
    Outlaw A breaks chair over the head of Outlaw C. Bar fight breaks out.

In a daytime soap it would have gone like this:

Person A: Hi, may I take this chair please?
    Person B: Yes, but you should know that that chair (dramatic pause) is your long-lost brother!
    Person A: Gasp!
    Persons A and B engage in torrid sex, while Person C watches from the closet. We will later discover Person C once witnessed Person B run over a homeless man while driving drunk. Much later, we will discover that not only is the homeless man still alive, he is Person A's (and therefore, the chair's) father. Also, he's evil.

Wow, this got really OT. Back to the iPhone discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by tcn33 View Post
    In a daytime soap it would have gone like this:

Person A: Hi, may I take this chair please?
    Person B: Yes, but you should know that that chair (dramatic pause) is your long-lost brother!
    Person A: Gasp!
    Persons A and B engage in torrid sex, while Person C watches from the closet. We will later discover Person C once witnessed Person B run over a homeless man while driving drunk. Much later, we will discover that not only is the homeless man still alive, he is Person A's (and therefore, the chair's) father. Also, he's evil.
    God dammit, you ruined 'Home & Away's' storylines for the next six months :P

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Is that silly show still running? God bless Foxtel

macintoshix Guest

Default Apple calls up iPhone trademark deal with Cisco

Some people might already have read this article ,

This is for those whom might be Interested,

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Technolog...733953298.html

And for shareholders in apple

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2516