Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

I have a 233 Rev. A Beige G3 desktop. Am considering buying a B&W 400mhz. What I'd like to do is buy a new G4 processor upgrade for the B&W and move the 400mhz CPU to the Beige G3. Are there any potential problems with doing this?

I don't think it will work.

I am not sure on wether or not it will physically fit, but if they do and by some miracle they work both machines will be crippled.

The beige G3's run off a 66Mhz FSB (front side bus) where as the B&W run off a 100Mhz FSB. The FSB is one of the factors that control how fast the CPU itself runs and the FSB also dictates how fast the system RAM and other components will run.

The problem that I can see is that if you put the B&W G3 400 in a beige G3 is the FSB will remain at 66Mhz (the CPU will be expecting 100Mhz) this will mean that the processor speed will be reduced to 266Mhz.

The opposite goes for the other CPU, if you put the 233Mhz G3 in the B&W it would be running at 350Mhz (overclocked ) BUT it wont last long at that state without serious cooling if at all. Having a CPU upgrade doesn't change anything because it is built for that 66Mhz bus, except the overclock will be greater and will probably die quicker too.

That's my semi-educated prediction, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

it actually should work, check xlr8yourmac.com for more info

jameso

Personally, I'd just buy a G4 instead, rather than muck around. Blue and White G3's don't have AGP (nor did the first G4's though). If you're running OSX, the faster ATA sppeds + AGP (which will allow cards that support Quartz Extreme) will make for a much faster experience than just a faster processor will. The cost of getting a second hand G4 is close to that of upgrading a machine anyway.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Thanks, all, for the help and suggestions. From what I read, the 400mhz chip would have worked just fine with the right choice of jumper settings. I did not, however, win the ebay auction for the B&W 400mhz. But xlr8yourmac made overclocking the G3 seem so simple, I decided to give it a try. Incredibly easy! News to me but, I suppose, old news to anyone who has had a G3 for a while. 333mhz would not boot but 300mhz works beautifully! Wow, a free upgrade!

Anyway, since I bought the G3 two weeks ago on ebay for $31 (no shipping cause I was able to pick it up), this is an incredibly cheap OSX Mac. I flashed a PC Radeon 7000 ($60--new, real ATI) and put in a 256mb DIMM ($67) to add to the 64mb that was in the machine. So, for $158 I got a really nice Mac. It really doesn't seem much slower than my 700mhz iBook!

Nice score TJOsX: have you also tried increasing your bus speed settings (eg. 75Mhz instead of 66) around 300Mhz (75 x 4X multiplier) - this will also give a nice boost in speed. A fan mounted on top of the HSF of your G3 may also give the potential for higher overclocks.

JB