Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Interesting Article on "How the iPhone could have changed the cell-phone industry"

From scifi.com

"You can't really fault Apple on the design unless you want to be really nitpicky, but that's not to say they did everything perfectly. Apple is one of the only device manufacturers on the planet that has the sway to change how the cell-phone business is done, and the iPhone gave the company an opportunity to really change the American cell-phone market for the better. However, when that opportunity knocked, Apple decided to ignore it, leaving the consumer to foot the bill for their laziness."

An interesting read.

http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/...how_the_i.html
    My Mountain Bike Blog

Sweet trades simo, avolve, Jedda, zmit, ryano (x2), emerson, Nevets_Anderson, cbennie, step_andy and more...

Yes, it is an interesting read...

I can't wait till Microsoft makes the Zune Phone. Then every time a disaster happens people will beg their iPhone-using friends to borrow their phone, as their own phone would have crashed.
    Should/Could/Would

I don't really agree with the article. Apple needed a partner to deliver the features they were after.

While I sympathise with the situation described, it sounds like they need some healthy competition or government interference to rectify the contract lock ins.

I believe it was the federal government that stepped in a made it possible to easily switch carriers easily and keep your phone number, right? I only vaguely remember when that happened.

Edit: the comments are interesting, especially the second one.

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

I think that the only way apple could have done what the author wanted would be to setup its own phone service, and I don't mean just an MNVO. It would be too hard to price the service competitively. They would have to set up their own infrastructure. They couldn't do it. Maybe after a couple of years selling iphones, they might be able to partner with somebody else, or set up their own MNVO, but I don't see a real advantage to doing that.

of course, if they did embark on their own phone network, it will never happen in Australia
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8