Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Wink "I love Apple and my Mac so much...."

Hi fellow mac lovers... I thought this would be a good question to start off a topic...

A self confessed Apple and Mac freak and proud of it so I wondered we could lead with this question....?

Perhaps think of what you feel is so cool about a mac or Apple? Or perhaps show fellow MT users why you think you are the superemo Apple and Mac lover/freak?

Do you have a range of Mac's just because you can't bear to part with them? Have you got every ipod ever made? Have you met the Steve?

What sets us apart from PC users are the recognition that the mac is a loveable product and a must digital companion in our techy world of today I rekon - apart from being the only computer with 'Class' and 'Sensibility'... OOOOO I could go on forever...

Perhaps I am nuts... or sleep deprived having to feed my 10 week old son at crazy hours... or this could be fun... ;-)

Then again I do collect old add's and advertising material that makes up the history that has brought us to the superb machines and OS we have today... perhaps it's just a case of OCD ;-)

Another thought - what do you or have you done with your old macs?

I remember the days when people used to turn Macintosh Plus's or 512s into fish tanks ;-)

I am a big Apple fan but i don't save my old Macs. I rather sell them and buy a new one instead.... keeps me up to date.
    I use Apple because i like their hardware and software.

Really looking forward to the new OS X Leopard.
    new iMac + iPod

Sounds like you need this song!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Appleseed View Post
    Haha. I have never heard that song before.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Appleseed View Post

PMSL - LOL - What a pisser!

I had been a rabid founding member of the Cult of Mac member ... until His Arrogant Pottymouth, Steven P. Jobs, returned to Cupertino, gutted Apple and turned it into NeXT v2.0.

I still hold to the true Apple virtues of simplicity, quality and elegance, consider the iPod to be a freak accident, believe that MacOS 8.6 was the pinnacle of Apple software development, and convinced that the single best Macintosh to ever come from One Infinite Loop to be the PowerBook Firewire (aka Pismo).

There has been little from Apple in the last decade that I consider to be truly and uniquely Apple, the iMac G4 being the most impressive design for a computing device ever since the introduction of the original Macintosh. Since then, it has been a slide into banality ... OSX is not MacOS (nothing built on a Unix-variant can be ever truly considered "the computer for the rest of us"), the embrace of The Enemy (Inthell) will be the ultimate demise of Apple, and the much vaunted Apple product quality has evaporated now that all Apple product is made in Chinese sweat-boxes where there is no pride in knowing you were making something different.

Brains

(PS: if you're such a big Mac fan, why choose a nick that ultimately has nothing to do with the Mac at all? )

True, Brains, Apple has had to become more businesslike to survive. If it hadn't done all those things you describe, it probably would no longer exist!

And let's face it, it's still way ahead of the alternative. Which is why you hang out here, I presume?

Brains, I think we'll be looking back in 5 years and raving how some or other machine was the best ever made that's current now. I recall all the issues the Pismo had as I was working in an Apple Centre when they were the current model.

Anyway....I wish I'd kept all the brochures I had collected for the Quadras. I used to go into the Apple retailer at uni, then located in a small, cramped office at the end of a block, with only a basic sign...and collect all of them to dream over. My machine at the time was a lowly LC... I SO wish we'd blown our budget and got the IIci we were offered...

I still have this fantasy about finding a mint Quadra tower, say a 900 or 950 or WGS model, gutting it, and using one of those meccano-like frame cases to build a machine inside of it.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

rtc Guest

I agree with the *nix porting issue, was devastated at the time but now joyfully use tiger daily.

7.5.5 beat 8.6 IMHO but each to his own. I do miss the RAW SPEED (and many other dropped-off things) of pre-OSX OSs, however as hardware catches up to the OSs of today (with their translucent rendering of the GUI and their excessively intensive use of virtual memory) this will become less of an issue. Note that the transition from Win2k to WinXP had similar speed issues.

Never used a pismo, doubt very much that intel will be the demise. If it is, it would be more poor management of it rather than the actual decision being a bad one.

Edit: I just noticed that VBA for OSX (11.2) still uses colons in file paths, and omits the "/Volumes/"reference at the start.

What I loved were the clamshell ibooks. One of the best things was the carry handle, which I used a fair bit.

The G5 and Mac Pros both have this elegant look that seems to say "There is little that this machine can't do"

IMHO, I think Apple may have made a slight mistake in moving wholly to Intel processors, partially because IBM just released (to my best knowledge) a 5GHz PPC chip, and also the Mac OS seemed better on those anyway.

Oh well, we'll just have to see what the 31st year shall bring...

rtc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iPirate View Post
    IMHO, I think Apple may have made a slight mistake in moving wholly to Intel processors, partially because IBM just released (to my best knowledge) a 5GHz PPC chip, and also the Mac OS seemed better on those anyway.
    Refer this post re Intel's pipeline for the next 2-3 years, there's even OTT speculation about a 16-core offering.

I preferred the Motorolas.

rtc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    Hi fellow mac lovers... I thought this would be a good question to start off a topic...

A self confessed Apple and Mac freak and proud of it so I wondered we could lead with this question....?

Perhaps think of what you feel is so cool about a mac or Apple? Or perhaps show fellow MT users why you think you are the superemo Apple and Mac lover/freak?

Do you have a range of Mac's just because you can't bear to part with them? Have you got every ipod ever made? Have you met the Steve?

What sets us apart from PC users are the recognition that the mac is a loveable product and a must digital companion in our techy world of today I rekon - apart from being the only computer with 'Class' and 'Sensibility'... OOOOO I could go on forever...

Perhaps I am nuts... or sleep deprived having to feed my 10 week old son at crazy hours... or this could be fun... ;-)

Then again I do collect old add's and advertising material that makes up the history that has brought us to the superb machines and OS we have today... perhaps it's just a case of OCD ;-)
    My money's on OCD

@ Brains

Well OS X is a unique Unix OS...... you can't compare Solaris or IBM Unix to Mac OS X.....

Apple has made a really different Unix. And i would say the iMac still has a very attractive design, i even prefer the G5 / Intel design to the G4 design.

And what about the G5 / Mac Pro tower? For me at the moment is the ultimate workstation design.

And Final Cut Pro / Motion / DVD Studio Pro / Aperture are all really nice applications that cannot be found on Windows.....

So i still think that Apple is as good, well maybe even better, than let's say 5 years ago.

And OS X is way better than OS 9 in my opinion.
    new iMac + iPod

Danamania Guest

I love my macs in two ways - and I keep them somewhat separate. I like my current main machine, for what it can do for me as a desktop computer. I'm not so attached to it though, and if a shiny new Mac Pro came my way I'd gladly get rid of it with barely a second thought. That's the practical side...

The second is the history. There are only so many old macs out there, few enough models that it's not inconceivable that one could have them all, and I've worked my way up to near 70 of them. I'm not so fussed about how limited some of them are for use as a main computer, but enjoy them for the history, for the design, and for having shelves full of maccie goodness sitting around the place. I enjoy stretching that limited hardware and seeing just how far it CAN be pushed before it doesn't hold up any more. That's the hobby side of it

Dana

One more point on the Intel switch: It gives Apple the option of licensing out OS X at some point in the future, if and when it makes sense. Remember, hell has frozen over before!

OSX is WAYYYYY better than 8.6 or 9 or any classic MacOS. Becasue those old OS's sucked the donkey big time.

Windows 98 was a far stabler operating system than 8.6 I used both day in and day out and All I wanted to do was gut the mac and throw it out the window.

I know nothing about any Nix operating system put as soon as I saw OSX in action I was sold. IT was the operating system that convinced me to move to apple. IT did what no home operating sytem (apple or Ms) did before, it didnt crash.
    IF they were still in the classic dark ages I would be sitting back paying them out like they deserved.......at the time.

The switch to intel was sigh of relief for me. Intel wasnt the enemy. Not if you do multimedia.

To be fair it would be nice to have computers made by non-sweat shop people. less product returns
    Sick of Bullshit? Go here
    www.youngausskeptics.com

iBook 14'' 1GB Ram, MBP(santa) 15" 4GB ram, iPod Nano(3G) 4gb, iPod shuffle 512mb, iPod Touch 8gb.

rtc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Fluffy Duck View Post
    OSX is WAYYYYY better than 8.6 or 9 or any classic MacOS. Becasue those old OS's sucked the donkey big time.

Windows 98 was a far stabler operating system than 8.6 I used both day in and day out and All I wanted to do was gut the mac and throw it out the window.

I know nothing about any Nix operating system put as soon as I saw OSX in action I was sold. IT was the operating system that convinced me to move to apple. IT did what no home operating sytem (apple or Ms) did before, it didnt crash.
    IF they were still in the classic dark ages I would be sitting back paying them out like they deserved.......at the time.

The switch to intel was sigh of relief for me. Intel wasnt the enemy. Not if you do multimedia.

To be fair it would be nice to have computers made by non-sweat shop people. less product returns
    I'll give you OSX is stable as all hell compared to any other mac or windows OS I've ever used. Nothing else you said above (except that it would be nice to have computers made by non-sweatshop people) is consistent with any of my extensive experience with Windows (3.1 through to XP) or Mac (6 through to tiger) operating systems. Note I exclude other (unix, linux etc) OSs from this comment.