Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Well after I did my training last year, I thought reckon its time I got a machine to run OS X.

To cut a long story short, my wife thought it would be better to buy a brand new machine this year, and I thought the emac would suit me perfectly.

I should order my emac end of March, just waiting for my bonus to be paid which will cover the outright price.

I plan on getting the combo emac, as I don't want a superdrive (not just yet anyways) and I will upgrade the 128mb ram -> 512mb ram. Keeping the 40gb drive, as I will change this to a 120gb drive after purchase. Space is not a real concern at the moment as I have 120gb seagate in icecube case.

I am quite excited. Just can't wait until end of March so I can order through my works discount purchase program, I end up saying about $110 rather then dealing with apple.com.au direct. A saving is a saving

Well done, iodine!

Enjoy it, when you get it.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

i wish you luck with your purchase

jameso

Originally posted by iodine@Mar 2 2004, 09:19 AM
    Well after I did my training last year, I thought reckon its time I got a machine to run OS X.

To cut a long story short, my wife thought it would be better to buy a brand new machine this year, and I thought the emac would suit me perfectly.

I should order my emac end of March, just waiting for my bonus to be paid which will cover the outright price.

I plan on getting the combo emac, as I don't want a superdrive (not just yet anyways) and I will upgrade the 128mb ram -> 512mb ram. Keeping the 40gb drive, as I will change this to a 120gb drive after purchase. Space is not a real concern at the moment as I have 120gb seagate in icecube case.

I am quite excited. Just can't wait until end of March so I can order through my works discount purchase program, I end up saying about $110 rather then dealing with apple.com.au direct. A saving is a saving
    Hi Iodine,

eMacs are great machines. If money's tight, before you purchase though, you might want to ring around a few dealers, as quite often you can find an ex-demo or ex-repair unit that still has a warranty, but is a reasonable amount cheaper than normal RRP. I bought my cube and my cinema display that way, and saved about $3k off RRP. Obviously with a $1350 machine you may not save quite that much, but who knows, you might even find a better specced machine for the same amount...

;-)
    mark

yeah get on to www.nextbyte.com.au, got some for a little cheaper than usual...

Was gona buy one of them until i realised the 'educational' discount
    Know me before you judge me...

Saving $3K off a $1350 machine would be nice

Steve
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru

Or you could buy a 20 pack of eMacs, they're only $650USD that way

Originally posted by Cory5412@Mar 9 2004, 12:08 AM
    Or you could buy a 20 pack of eMacs, they're only $650USD that way
    We could do a group buy from the USA, haha
    20 eMacs, it's AU$17,028.13. $851 each, compared to $1268 locally.
    Would it be worth the effort once customs and freight is taken into consideration? :P

Parallel importing rules would get us into trouble
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Decryption, why not start up an educational institution and employ or enroll every one who wants a mac.

I'm sure you would get to see the inside of a court room as an extra bonus =)

jameso