Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: Buying a New TV

Default Buying a New TV

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about going shopping today and maybe getting myself a TV.

The TV will mainly be used for gaming/streaming Apple TV most likely in my bedroom. Just wondering what technology should I get. Plasma/LCD/LED. One thing I notice is that is how they sit price wise aswell. Plasma being the cheapest. 3D is important, and while I would love a 60" I doubt that I will have a room big enough for it in the new house. So I'm thinking something between 40"-50"

I'm looking at spending <1000$

What is everyone's thoughts. I've heard 200Hz + is needed for gaming to minimize blur, however then I have also heard that plasma are awesome for not having lag, but also not good for gaming???????

Any input would be great thanks.
    Last edited by b00; 26th December 2012 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by b00 View Post
    The TV will mainly be used for gaming/streaming Apple TV most likely in my bedroom. Just wondering what technology should I get. Plasma/LCD/LED. One thing I notice is that is how they sit price wise aswell. Plasma being the cheapest. 3D is important, and while I would love a 60" I doubt that I will have a room big enough for it in the new house. So I'm thinking something between 40"-50"

I'm looking at spending <1000$

What is everyone's thoughts. I've heard 200Hz + is needed for gaming to minimize blur, however then I have also heard that plasma are awesome for not having lag, but also not good for gaming???????

Any input would be great thanks.
    Best advice... stick to the budget and requirements.. don't buy the first thing you see, compare models from all shops you visit and decide post that.

I am also looking at getting a new TV. I have heard that Plasma is still better than LED - mainly that Plasma has blacker blacks. I recommend listening to the Hypercritical podcasts on this topic:
    5by5 | Hypercritical #16: The Soap Opera Effect
    5by5 | Hypercritical #17: Intruding Gooseneck

Found this link in the show notes to be handy:
    Prolost - Blog - Your New TV Ruins Movies
    Great Boo: Macbook Air 13" Basil the Rat: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo + 2 x TwinHan Alpha tuners + eyeTV, Cogent Paradigm: 20" iMac Core Duo, iPad 2 32GB, iPhone 4S 32 GB
    My Money Minder - Personal finance made easy!
    | My Blog: benb :))

Look at this forum: DTV Forum Australia - The leading audio visual and home theatre forum before you do any buying. Even join it to ask your questions.
    iMac 27" 3.2Gb with 32Gb RAM, 2Tb Time Capsule & Airport Express,
    iPod 5.5 30g, iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPad Mini
    Bruji the best cataloguing programs for Mac OS & iOS

What kind of gaming exactly?

"200 Hz" is going to be pointless for most forms of gaming.
    But since you want 3D, you'll get be getting 120 Hz anyway.