Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by t3h_0n3 View Post
    Hey people i wanted to know that will this GPU chip support a 1400x900 resolution.
    well iam a windows user and have this motherboard with gma950 as the onboard gpu
    was searching for the same on google but found nothing rather always land up on a mac forum so thought of posting it here.

I was going to purchase a 19" wide screen lcd which has a native res. of 1400x900 so just wanted to confirm whether this chip supports this res.

Thanks in advance.

I'm using a 20" widescreen (Dell 2007WFP) with my MacBook. Max resolution of 1680 x 1050 is supported, and in the majority of cases runs fine. It is only a bit laggy when scrolling through Word or Pages. Expose and Dashboard aren't very smooth either, but I suppose this is irrelevant in your case!

Cheers, Dave
    iPhone
    iPod Nano
    MacBook + Dell 20" widescreen

Quote Originally Posted by iDaife View Post
    I'm using a 20" widescreen (Dell 2007WFP) with my MacBook. Max resolution of 1680 x 1050 is supported, and in the majority of cases runs fine. It is only a bit laggy when scrolling through Word or Pages. Expose and Dashboard aren't very smooth either, but I suppose this is irrelevant in your case!

Cheers, Dave

Do you run the 2 screens at the same time? I found that screen lag happened when the laptop was open - when ran in clamshell mode, no probs - I was told that in spanning mode, the video ram is shared between the two screens - hence the slowdown.

Thanks lot people for solving my query ,i guess i'd go for that lcd now.

Anybody know how well the GMA950 goes running HL2 and mods in Windows? I've just ordered a Intel Mini.
    MacBook 5,1: 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.7, Windows 7
    Mac Mini 4,1: 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 1TB Ext. HDD (Time Machine), 2TB Ext. HDD, OS X 10.8

Quote Originally Posted by Ben™ View Post
    Anybody know how well the GMA950 goes running HL2 and mods in Windows? I've just ordered a Intel Mini.
    Well it arrived yesterday, and since the above post, I've done so research into how well it can run it, and it does it quite well for what it is, but I seem to be having an isolated problem.

When I run CS: Source, the background image loads, then when it refreshes to where the menu should be, I get a completely black screen. If I move my mouse where the menu items should be, I can hear the clicking, so it's a display issue.

I've tried running it in DX 9, 8.1 and 7, still nothing. Anybody seen this before? If so, how was it fixed?

Thanks.
    MacBook 5,1: 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.7, Windows 7
    Mac Mini 4,1: 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 1TB Ext. HDD (Time Machine), 2TB Ext. HDD, OS X 10.8

Quote Originally Posted by iDaife View Post
    That's a bit of a bugger. I run a similar setup but with a 12" Powerbook and mine doesn't have lagginess in the instances/apps you mentioned, unless im running a million things at once. The Powerbook has 64MB dedicated graphics as well. How many MBs of ram are you running in your Macbook?

I had lagginess when I started using my MBP with a 24" Dell LCD. Going into Quartz Debug and enabling Quartz 2D Extreme (? or whatever its called) produces a huge performance increase. Note that the setting will revert with a reboot... the link below describes how to keep it permanently enabled.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...05050121260474
    Apple stuff:
    MacBook Pro: 1.83ghz - 2gb - 100gb@7200rpm
    PowerBook G4: 12" 867mhz - 640mb - 40gb
    PowerMac G4 Cube: 450mhz oc @ 480mhz (4x120mhz) - 1gb - 40gb
    iPod: 3G 20gb

Many thanks for this thread --- getting a mini next week.

I've found it very hard to find out if any particular monitor has a native resolution that will work with the Mini. Finally started looking for "Intel GMA950" and found this helpful thread.

And I'd been hoping specifically that 1400 x 900 was supported.

From my personal MacBook experiences:

- 24" screen @ 1920x1200 is fine
    - Unreal Tournament 2003 @ 1280x800 is fine

Under bootcamp the amount of video ram allocated increases depending on the amount system memory installed - up to 244mb provided you have more than 1gb of memory.

Can anyone confirm that OS X is locked to 64mb?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2