Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Powerbook 12" G4 Next G Broadband Inquiry.

I wish to connect to Telstra Next G wireless broadband network using my Powerbook however it does not have a PCMA slot to use the card Telsrta supply. Can anyone advise me on a way around this or if USB compatable technology is coming available in the near future for us Mac users?

I beleive USB version is coming soon as they dont have an expresscard version (the new PCMCIA) and USB will alleviate most scenarios for most people...
    Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz C2D, Apple 23" HD Display and Black 16GB iPhone 3G...
    Successful Sales - chrism238, ARB, Bob, Goodbye, chrissara, garrymacdonald, lavo, jubilantjeremy, Jordan M, mulquemi, avolve x 2, macaholic, warren21, Meh 626...

mikinoz Guest

Crosses fingers!

i am using bluetooth to connect to an i-mate JASJAM on Telstras next g network. Only required some scripts for internet connect to be able to use it as a GSM style modem.

Transfer rates have been a little dissapointing so far.

I have a HR PBG4 for the record.

I contacted Telstra about this issue. Below is the reply I received:

Dear Luke,

Thank you for your email dated 13/10/06, regarding your recent USB modem enquiries.

Luke, I do apologise as regrettably I am unable to confirm when or if a USB device will be
    released at this time.

I do apologise that we could of not been of more assistance on this occasion, however we
    recommend you keep in contact with us to receive regular updates regarding this information.

Thank you for using Telstra's online services.

Please do not hesitate to contact us on 125 111 (a 24 hour/7 days per week service which is
    a 25 cent call from any Telstra service including mobiles, except via Telecard) or via
    www.telstra.com if you require further information or assistance.
    Looks like the Maxon MiniMax is the best way to go at the moment, unless you get a NextG phone. I believe Telstra have something in the works to replace the EVDO modems with NextG modems for free, when they become available, but I can't remember where I saw it. I think there may also be some limitations on who is eligible, but I can't recall the details.

joltjam - thats becuase your working on non-HSDPA speeds, try using the demo of launch2net http://www.novamedia.de/e_pages/e_produkte_mac_l2n.html and see if you can get it using HSDPA speeds unless the scripts you used had that sort of support... where did you get the scripts etc...
    Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz C2D, Apple 23" HD Display and Black 16GB iPhone 3G...
    Successful Sales - chrism238, ARB, Bob, Goodbye, chrissara, garrymacdonald, lavo, jubilantjeremy, Jordan M, mulquemi, avolve x 2, macaholic, warren21, Meh 626...

Oh, I forgot. If you want to use it in an area covered by Vodafone's 3G network another option is their Vodafone Mobile Connect USB Modem (it also drops back to the GPRS when not in a 3G coverage area).

Although it says on Vodafone's site that it the minimum requirements are a PowerBook G4, this article by Dan Warne suggests that it will also be compatible with MacBooks (i.e. Intel machines as well as PowerPC ones).

Unfortunately Vodafone's 3G network isn't available in Hobart yet