Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default

    Yo, people I need help choosing a centre to buy my 15" PowerBook/SD with 2gb of ram. Which store should I buy from MyMac Professional or Streetwise, Streetwise has great prices, tons of tons apple stuff; but I'm not sure of their customer service, and not sure if they'll install my 2gb of ram into my pb for me. But in MyMac Pro; I read their have excellent customer service, and their have a service centre; so they can install my ram for me, with a small additional price. But I'm not sure how much their ram costs, and have no discounts for Powerbooks (Still the R.R.P 3,999); also not sure if they hav Virtual PC. But they'll help me alot!


    I dunno what to choose? the discounts and free airport express or good customer service?


    Special Thanks!!!!!
    Victorian Certificate of Education in progress. Desired ENTER: 95+. Desired Course: Bachelor of Commerce, The University of Melbourne


    Owns 15" Powerbook 1.5Ghz, 1GB DDRRAM

  2. #2

    Default

    Streetwise will give you excellent customer service

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,050

    Default

    You can come and talk to Adam, aka Blakat, one of the salespeople at Streetwise on #apple if you like
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Medowie
    Posts
    389

    Default

    I have purchased from Streetwise on a number of occassions and have nothing but praise for their service
    Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,105

    Default

    I third the Streetwise choice between those two.

    Though I would also recommend Desktop Power or Apple Centre Moonee Ponds in the alternative.

    [EDIT] If Streetwise are giving you a free Airport Express then they are definitely the way to go. They have terrific customer service.

    However, remember that you can buy the RAM chips wherever you like (as long as it meets the specs - namely good quality PC2700 SO-DIMMs) and install them yourself - very very easy to do, and there are instructions on how to do so in the User's Guide.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Originally posted by AppleXY@Dec 5 2004, 08:33 AM
    Yo, people I need help choosing a centre to buy my 15" PowerBook/SD with 2gb of ram. Which store should I buy from MyMac Professional or Streetwise, Streetwise has great prices, tons of tons apple stuff; but I'm not sure of their customer service, and not sure if they'll install my 2gb of ram into my pb for me. But in MyMac Pro; I read their have excellent customer service, and their have a service centre; so they can install my ram for me, with a small additional price. But I'm not sure how much their ram costs, and have no discounts for Powerbooks (Still the R.R.P 3,999); also not sure if they hav Virtual PC. But they'll help me alot!


    I dunno what to choose? the discounts and free airport express or good customer service?


    Special Thanks!!!!!
    you get the airport express from anyone you buy it from, even my mac.

    and if i catch anyone in Desktop power then they need their heads checked. i'd go mymac by a mile.

    any mac place should install ram for free. if they don't then go elsewhere.
    ________________________________________________

    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

    www.macmate.com.au

    Leader of: Apple General, Help! & iPods, iTMS & Accessories

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,105

    Default

    Originally posted by macmate@Dec 5 2004, 11:26 AM
    you get the airport express from anyone you buy it from, even my mac.

    and if i catch anyone in Desktop power then they need their heads checked. i'd go mymac by a mile.

    any mac place should install ram for free. if they don't then go elsewhere.
    Mate, your crusade against Desktop Power is a little disturbing. Just because you had a bad experience there while doing work experience there doesn&#39;t preclude the place from being a good reseller for many, if not most, others. <_<

    There are many resellers that offer poor service and a generally negative experience - Desktop Power is not one of them, by a mile.

    And, not that you have already, but be careful not to get carried away with your criticism either - libelling them explicitly pretty much violates Appletalk&#39;s code of conduct (as stated on many occasions by Disko and decryption), namely not to target negative comments at specific stores.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Originally posted by OziMac@Dec 5 2004, 11:47 AM
    Mate, your crusade against Desktop Power is a little disturbing. Just because you had a bad experience there while doing work experience there doesn&#39;t preclude the place from being a good reseller for many, if not most, others. <_<

    There are many resellers that offer poor service and a generally negative experience - Desktop Power is not one of them, by a mile.

    And, not that you have already, but be careful not to get carried away with your criticism either - libelling them explicitly pretty much violates Appletalk&#39;s code of conduct (as stated on many occasions by Disko and decryption), namely not to target negative comments at specific stores.
    not a personal crudsade. sorry if it comes across like that. there is a lot more to it than a bad experience when i was there. it has a lot more to do with my experiences when trying to get info out of them to spend money with them. i have tried to buy at least 4 computers from there. tried giving them a new chance every time and every time i got the same poor service, which is a pity cause i lived around the corner.

    i do work for a reseller in Thornbury and we get most of our clients from word of mouth but if you were to hang around for a couple of weeks you would be horrified by the amount of customers we get walking through the door who have become fed up with either them or a huge store in the city which i won&#39;t name.

    In my opinion Desktop Power has some great people but they are too busy looking after their best clients(and rightly so). I had thought that this thread was asking for an opinion, as you prefer Desktop over MyMac, i prefer MyMac over Desktop. I mean if h asked where i thought the best place was then i would have said someone else all together.

    Anyways, without getting too specific, i prefer MyMac because of the fact that they have some great techies there that can answer most questions easily.

    BTW point taken about Libel........ after re-reading my post it kinda came across a bit aggressive. rest assured that i was actually just in a hurry cause my beautiful fiance had just made me some bacon and eggs&#33;&#33;

    peace out
    ________________________________________________

    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

    www.macmate.com.au

    Leader of: Apple General, Help! & iPods, iTMS & Accessories

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,339

    Default

    Streetwise will definitely install your RAM for you.

  10. #10

    Default

    Streetwise are great. I bought my iBook from them, and later a couple of airport cards. The customer service was excellent (My iBook was DOA, and the guys at Streetwise were very helpful in getting a replacement for me double time)

    I&#39;d buy from them again without any hesitation.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •