Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Mac to PC conversion

I c an't say as I agree with his choice of internals, but this would have to be one of the best mods I've ever seen.

Would have been better with mac guts.

Regards Mark

Ghargh!

I had that ready to post as news. And now you've spoiled the surprise for everyone! :P
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

Impressive. Thats one of the best ones i've seen...a lot of the ones i've seen haven't been done anywhere near as good as that one.
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

Never considered having the optical drive at the base of the machine for a mod - I like Paint job is very impressive as well - knowing all too well that SE cases don't cope too well with paint jobs! Not sure how you plug devices into the ATX backplane, as it appears to be mounted on the bottom of the SE case.

Does the SE's screen work, or is it a lit picture?

JB

Originally posted by bYrd@Feb 26 2004, 07:02 PM
    Never considered having the optical drive at the base of the machine for a mod - I like Paint job is very impressive as well - knowing all too well that SE cases don't cope too well with paint jobs! Not sure how you plug devices into the ATX backplane, as it appears to be mounted on the bottom of the SE case.

Does the SE's screen work, or is it a lit picture?

JB
    The SE screen looks to just show the lit insides of the case - neon/LED/stuff

and the backplane is an extra piece on the back of the SE, which works pretty sensibly - http://users.adelphia.net/~attilaerika/gal...ages/08Back.jpg

dana

I really like his choice of keyboard/display for the project.

My other thought is that power cord that looks peculiarly like an apple one, I seem to remember that my iMac's had that general shape

Also, I love that he put the cdrom drive on the bottom, that way he didn't 'ruin' the visible front of the SE like many hacks do.

Sorry Disko,

Didn't mean to ruin the surprise.

Regards Mark

You got to admit though very neat mod

Originally posted by thebag@Feb 27 2004, 09:14 AM
    Sorry Disko,

Didn't mean to ruin the surprise.

Regards Mark

You got to admit though very neat mod
    ha!

Don't worry - i was being sarcastic anyway.
    Oh - and Cmetom posted it in the news before i could.

The early bird gets the worm, my friends.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

i have one of the old se's in my cupboard. i am so going to turn it into somthing like that. but i am going to use amd parts oz i ain't made of money :P

I like the way he used the back of a standard metal AT case at the back of the machine to get everything to look neat.

I have been thinking for ages to do something like that to a 6100, but it's very hard to find an ATX power supply that is 70mm or less tall.

The motherboard of a 6100 is the size of a small microi-atx motherboard too. The other option I'd have would be a mini-itx board, especially as it would use bugger-all power and not require any major cooling.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Originally posted by Currawong@Feb 27 2004, 09:42 PM
    I like the way he used the back of a standard metal AT case at the back of the machine to get everything to look neat.

I have been thinking for ages to do something like that to a 6100, but it's very hard to find an ATX power supply that is 70mm or less tall.

The motherboard of a 6100 is the size of a small microi-atx motherboard too. The other option I'd have would be a mini-itx board, especially as it would use bugger-all power and not require any major cooling.
    Some cheap ATX cases have removable motherboard trays, which are are great start to mount most of the components into another case of sorts.

Currawong, I've found many an obscure, small ATX PSU at swap meets - the smallest being that from an IBM Netvista case. I picked up one of these for $20, it's 70W and fine for an EPIA-base system.

Here is an example of the Netvista case - they're on eBay pretty cheaply as well.

You could also consider mounting a 6400, or PB 1400 motheboard (with screen&#33 into a compact SE case.

JB

I've owned an IBM Netvista, they make solid 2k or Linux boxen. I might take up your suggestion to find one for a conversion. I suspect, though, that suitable power supplies are available for cases that are designed for mini-itx boards.

I also know someone who could do a proper spray job.

Another thing i found was a black Umax tower with a 200Mhz 604e in it, but who's SCSI has failed (ie: no drives show up for system installtion no matter what one tries). As it's about ATX size, i might see if I can't put a G4 in it or something. Not sure yet. I have to decide what I'm going to use the machine for.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Originally posted by Currawong@Feb 28 2004, 06:11 PM
    I suspect, though, that suitable power supplies are available for cases that are designed for mini-itx boards.
    For mini-itx machines, fanless external PSUs are available, scroll down a bit here. But are very costly.

I picked up an EPIA 5000 fanless mobo on OCAU for $50, and bought a shiny metal cashbox to mount it, the netvista PSU, and 30GB HDD in. But, it's taken me a lot longer to make than originally thought. Still working on it.

JB

I would like to build a mini-itx box, has been a dream of mine for a while and it got to the top of my list when i ran into financing problems

That mod is sweet, I am tempted to go the other way tho, buy a cheep atx case and mount my desktop g3 in it.

jameso