Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hi, im planning to get a notebook for my younger brother whos currrently in year 8. He's going to be using it mostly for word processing and internet browsing (wirelessly). I have searched on ebay and found an iBook G3 900 (link here) and a powerbook G4 (link here).
    We have a budget of $550. I would prefer to get the ibook for him as I think it would be more robust and suit him better. However, he would like the powerbook.
    So, what are you opinions on this? and, do any of you know how much the powerbook typically sells for on ebay?

thanks guys

spike

If your planning on surfing the net wirelessly you will need to also get an airport card for the ibook - these are going for about $100 on ebay where the powerbook has an airport extreme card included in the specs

Whether your brother is planning on taking it to school and whatnot would be another factor in whether the ibook or powerbook is more suitable.
    MBP 15" 2.16Ghz | iMac G4 700Mhz | Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz | ibook G3 indigo clamshell - not working -logic board I think :(
    iPod Shuffle 1st Gen 1Gb | 5G Video iPod White 30Gb | (PRODUCT)red iPod Nano 8Gb & Nike+ sports kit

That PowerBook will most likely go for more than $550. It is a far superior machine compared to the iBook, though, so might be worth the money.

That PowerBook will most likely go for more than $550. It is a far superior machine compared to the iBook, though, so might be worth the money.
    My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very hungry...

I think that the iBook would be the best option but if your going to get an ibook do not get the G3 900Mhz Why?
    Because of the Logic Board & video issues they have + for that amount of money you can get an 800Mhz G4 sure it's 100Mhz slower but it is way better.
    My Macs: MacBook Pro 17", Powerbook Ti 867Mhz, Powermac 5500 Black, iBook G3 900Mhz, Powermac MDD, Powermac 8600 250Mhz, Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz Mac Mini, iMac G4 17" 1Ghz, eMac 1Ghz, eMac 800Mhz,
    AppleCollector Sales Service/Sales/Support/Trade In's

Thanks for the replies guys. Just got back from work now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skibunny &#064; Sep 2 2006, 01&#58;13 PM) [snapback]210203[/snapback]</div>
    Whether your brother is planning on taking it to school and whatnot would be another factor in whether the ibook or powerbook is more suitable.
    [/b]
    My brother will be bringing it to school and will have to connect to the school network wirelessly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(applecollector &#064; Sep 2 2006, 02&#58;20 PM) [snapback]210229[/snapback]</div>
    I think that the iBook would be the best option but if your going to get an ibook do not get the G3 900Mhz Why?
    Because of the Logic Board & video issues they have + for that amount of money you can get an 800Mhz G4 sure it&#39;s 100Mhz slower but it is way better.
    [/b]
    I also had my eyes on the iBook G4 800 Mhz (here and here) but i tought they would sell at a higher price.

Anyway, I think im going to get him the iBook G4 if the price is right, just in case the G3 has the logic board and video issues as mentioned by applecollector.

You might have more of an advantage if you got the powerbook,

doesnt apple have a recall for the batteries on that?

didnt the titanium have problems with the displays??

Also he isnt sure of what the stuff is inside the powerbook as he says 40gb or 60gb drive then combo or super drive.