Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just wondering if anyone here mods their Mac casing at all - I've only really done PC's up to now, owing to their often awful looks and design. Hacking apart a well-designed Mac case seems like the wrong thing to do in some respects, but I'm thinking of modding my LC475 or LC630 to ... a different colour, or with front-mounted LEDs (oh, both are already overclocked already )

Has anyone got pics of their own Mac creations?

JB

Attempted/completed case mods:

1. Back in 2001, i put a pizzabox LC series Mac into the case of an AST Premmia 4/33s, so i could have more than one drive in it. I used it up until early this year, and did many upgrades to it during that time. Unfortunately, early this year its PSU died and i ran out of AT PSUs, so its back in the LC case.

2. On Christmas eve last year, i replaced the power LED in my PM8100 with a red one. Looks cool, but i can't get a good piccie of it!

Case mod to do:

When I get around to it, i want to paint my LC630 black so it matches all the other equipment we have in the loungeroom. (I use it as a digital hub/media centre machine)
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

I know a bloke who does serious re-spraying of PC cases, but no Mac ones.

I've had plenty of ideas for case mods, some of them would have been funny, like mounting a full-height 5.25" drive in the CD bay of a 6100 with a cutout in the lid (like a hotrod, there's a long story behind this idea) and finding a G3 powerbook with dead screen to mod up a 6100. The only other serious idea I have at the moment is a mini-ITX conversion of a 6100 or a G4 ATX case conversion.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

i've got a black beige g3.... =)

i want to remove the metal sides on my g4 and install a dark neon in it.

jameso

Pics on any of these would be nice

I've a 9600 here as well, but the case is far too nice to mod, although the internal hardware is far from stock. LCGuy I might follow in your footsteps and replace the power LED with a high-intensity blue one.

Once modded an SE/30 with internal CD drive mod, but the spray paint used was of terrible quality and it came up looking real shitty Threw the case out (still have an SE/30 spare), and might look into making a 'super' classic Mac mod again sometime. I'm thinking side windows, neons - the works!

JB

I recall descriptions of a guy that made the side doors transparent on a G4 tower, I think he removed the gray colour by acetone...

My own case mods is on the inside for functionality with things like trying to tame vibarations reduce fan noise, not making computer setups inspired by car LOUD-fi installations

Originally posted by bYrd@Feb 21 2004, 11:09 AM
    Just wondering if anyone here mods their Mac casing at all - I've only really done PC's up to now, owing to their often awful looks and design. Hacking apart a well-designed Mac case seems like the wrong thing to do in some respects, but I'm thinking of modding my LC475 or LC630 to ... a different colour, or with front-mounted LEDs (oh, both are already overclocked already )
    I added a blue LED to the server for danamania.com - http://www.danamania.com/gallery/beige/ has a pic. That's as much as I've done!

However, my eMac sits on a Q605 as a stand to bring it up to a comfortable height, and I think it'd look quite the part if it were painted white, with clear over top and polished to a really deep shine - something a bit like the eMac itself.

Of course I'm lazy too, and that's likely to remain just an idea for a while

dana

I haven't actually done any modding, but I was once going to build (and I might still do this) my "Vertical 7300" basically a smal wooden stand to make using the 7300 as a minitower pleasant and stable

Also, something alot like that for the IIsi

Another thing I wanted to do was what I call the PowerPlayer™ hack. I was going to take my PowerBook100's Guts and put a light bulb and a few lenses in there and use it all as a projector. Just think... the first 640 by 400 black+white AIO ProjectorMac™. It sounds like an idea to me

I also had a friend who did a "floppy eject button" to my 7300 (when he had it)
    :UGH: let me tell you there is a *REASON* why the macs didn't have the eject buttons, of course I did have a good yell at him about holding down the mousebutton at startup.

Another thing he did, a slightly smarter thing that he did when he had a MacIIci was to use an Apple CD300i externally, he made a really long power cord and used a very long SCSi cable. It was somewhat... umm... "yeah" but it fit thru a NuBus slot hole rather nicely.

Originally posted by danamania@Feb 23 2004, 08:10 PM
    I added a blue LED to the server for danamania.com
    Really like the pictures of Mac hardware you've taken on your site dana - how did you get them to come up so well?

Have a few blue LEDs here awaiting use - first stop LC630, I think. The HD is so quiet I never can work out when it's on or off.

Cory: how big is the projector - and is it B&W only? Would be good to try a colour PB 165/180/Duo and see how that goes as well

JB

I am currently putting a rev A imac (with dead analogue video board) into a 2Ru case for audio & video streaming to my TV/ stereo system.
    I have once put a CD rom into a IIci.
    Next I might put my B&W G3 (has some case damage) into a Lian-Li aluminum case.
    The 8 3.5" and 4 5.25" bays might come in handy for the server

Just for the record, it'd be great to see detailed photos/writeups of these mods while you are doing them, people.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

thought i'd jump on this old thread rather than starting a new one. for anyone who is interested (was that tumbleweed rolling past?) this is my new powermac g4, with athlon 3700+, 128mb pci-express graphics, 2x250gb hdd raided and other stuff.

i claim no creativity in its design, countless others have done this before. the only thing original is the fans where the optic drive was, to expell the hot air, and the black paintwork.

hey hey, it fills in the spare time :blink:

[attachmentid=367]

[attachmentid=368]

and a couple more of the internals...

[attachmentid=369]

[attachmentid=370]

Talk about resurrecting the dead natakim Never did do that SE/30 mod either - athough it's back again, having found a right angle IIsi adaptor - these are rare as hens teeth

Tidy work there - does it run pretty cool in the G4 case? And did you work out the pinouts of the front panel?

JB

I contemplated changing the apple glow on the back of my pb to red or blue... but I may not, what with warranties 'n all :P

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Byrd &#064; Jul 12 2006, 10&#58;14 AM) [snapback]194065[/snapback]</div>
    Talk about resurrecting the dead natakim Never did do that SE/30 mod either - athough it&#39;s back again, having found a right angle IIsi adaptor - these are rare as hens teeth

Tidy work there - does it run pretty cool in the G4 case? And did you work out the pinouts of the front panel?

JB
    [/b]

all seems ok so far, but the heat will need to be watched. think i&#39;ll probably replace the stock cpu heatsink with a lower profile copper unit- less noise and better cooloing. the cpu sits very close to the back of the psu, not ideal.

only other hiccup was that the atx factor means that the audio in/out plugs are blocked by the case, but no bigge here, a sound card sorted this out.

se/30 hey, after seeing a few attempts i was also thinking of something along those lines. i&#39;ve got a mac classic II around somewhere. was thinking of putting a mini in there and replacing the crt with a lcd screen.

so much wasted time

couple more pics

[attachmentid=371] the front fans without mesh cover, so they can be seen.

[attachmentid=372]

I have three machines ready for modding : all with dead screens.

The first one is an eMac (700MHz I think) with a dead screen (sadly out of warranty and repair program range) which I&#39;m hoping to drop an LCD panel into.

Then there are the two old G3 iMac 350&#39;s which I was thinking of putting into smaller cases or a rack unit style case and maybe even get two iMaquariums into the deal ... although if I could figure out how to get good TV output they would make great media servers. Any ideas??

Way back in around 1993 my friend and flatmate pulled his SE/30 apart and spray painted the case with a dark grey granite textured finish. That was a spectacular job. I wonder where it is now?
    MBP 2.8Ghz Core2Duo, Al PowerBook 1.25GHz, Mac Mini 1.8GHz, iPhone 3G, iPod Shuffle 1Gb,
    got rid of my a boatload of classic Macs :( -=- Twitter: aDB

I saw an article in macaddict quite long ago,

Some guy had put a whole mac into a record player case and it looked freaking awesome (Years ago in macaddict)

Here is applefritters design stuff http://www.applefritter.com/taxonomy/term/61

I have also attempted to paint a mac Classic black and put glow zone stars all over it but it doesnt work anymore (Looks really good though)

How would you actually turn the apple logo a different colour on a PB? I assume that you would use some kind of colour filter, but what?

A PB with a red backlit apple logo and red back lit keyboard, would look awesome&#33;
    Alu iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo / iPod Touch 16gb / iPod 3G 20gb
    MBP 2.5ghz Core 2 Duo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(natakim &#064; Jul 12 2006, 10&#58;24 AM) [snapback]194076[/snapback]</div>
    all seems ok so far, but the heat will need to be watched. think i&#39;ll probably replace the stock cpu heatsink with a lower profile copper unit- less noise and better cooloing. the cpu sits very close to the back of the psu, not ideal.

only other hiccup was that the atx factor means that the audio in/out plugs are blocked by the case, but no bigge here, a sound card sorted this out.

se/30 hey, after seeing a few attempts i was also thinking of something along those lines. i&#39;ve got a mac classic II around somewhere. was thinking of putting a mini in there and replacing the crt with a lcd screen.

so much wasted time

couple more pics

[attachmentid=371] the front fans without mesh cover, so they can be seen.

[attachmentid=372]
    [/b]
    Where is the optical drive on that thing?

I&#39;m contemplating converting a quicksilver into a PC..... do you have a link to a guide? And how long did it roughly take?
    I have no successful trades

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Muzza_77 &#064; Jul 12 2006, 01&#58;59 PM) [snapback]194140[/snapback]</div>
    How would you actually turn the apple logo a different colour on a PB? I assume that you would use some kind of colour filter, but what?

A PB with a red backlit apple logo and red back lit keyboard, would look awesome&#33;
    [/b]
    behind the screen casing there is a peice of while paper/plastic which acts as a difuser if you just put some lighting gel or similar over it i imagine it would change the colour of the glow

be sweet for a black macbook with a red glow but i dont think anyone would be willing to do that underwarranty
    Mac Pro Dual Xeon 2.8GHz Quad, 6GB Ram, 128GB SSD+320GB+3x1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX285, Mac OS X 10.7
    My Flickr | Portfolio/Photoblog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast