Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

i have the same problem as above where my batteries are in the required range but when you type it in it says computer is eligible but battery is not.

i noticed that the list of batteries changes from battery serial number 3K to 3X..

so what is the best apple store in melbourne to call?

Had the same problem with the form on the US site, machine is in the range but the battery serial is not even though its in the number range on the site. Just went to Applecentre in Flinders St Melbourne, they confirmed that the battery IS in the exchange program but wanted the battery to send back and a new one would be sent back to them for me to pick up...next week. They did state that if I replaced it over the web that they would send one out and you then send the old one back....much easy that losing the battery for days...or weeks!!. However, checked out the Australian apple site and they also say to go to an authorised service centre??? WTF. So if anybody can work out how the heck to order one over the web so I dont lose the original battery for God knows how long, I would be very interested.

for everyone's info, here is how it look like if yours fall within the recall range..

only problem that i have with this battery is that it lost its charge about 10-25percent in an overnight
    the devils is in the details

This page is for the 2004 recall

This page is for the May 2005 recall
    Looks like Aussies can order over the net for this recall.

This page is the most recent recall
    Looks like Aussies cannot order over the net for this recall.
    "Customers in Australia and Asia (excluding Japan) should contact their local Apple Authorized Service Provider to obtain a replacement battery."

In summary, depending on which recall your battery falls in, you may or may not be able to order over the net.

Just e-mailed NextByte in Perth.
    They phoned me back within the hour to arrange a replacement.
    Apple are saying it could take up to 4 weeks!
     MacBook (Unibody) 13in, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, OS10.5.7 + PowerBook G4, 12in, 1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM, OS10.4.11 + Bondi Blue iMac, 96MB RAM, OS9.2.2

nicwithsticks Guest

like mentioned above, a new page on Apple's Australian website will validate your serial numbers and tell you if you are eligable for a replacement.

Mine is So, my 28 month old battery that now only reaches 65% capacity will be replaced. I'm happy about that, although I'm sure I should be worried I'm going to have a Dell moment :P

sheesh 4 weeks! why does it take so long? with so many batteries being recalled you'd think Apple would give the AASPs some stock in advance.

man that is annoying, so they are saying that my iBook could be without a battery for up to 4 weeks. Hows this for an idea, order me a battery and when it comes in I'll give you the old one...I'll be ringing Apple direct and seeing what their attitude is, whats the use of a portable computer without a battery....peanuts

Haha success.

Looks like Apple have updated their website and is now recognising my battery's serial number.

The thought of my battery exploding is creepy, but to me this is good news as my battery is completely buggered and I was considering buying a new one. Now I don't have to

freeze, just retired about 10 minutes ago and found the same thing. On the phone to Apple support now.

oh dear!!, Apple have dropped the service ball, no go, they definately want the old battery returned before they will send out then new one

Time to get on the US site and get a battery sent to the relatives over there in Boulder !!!>

Battery in my PB is covered according to the US website Serial 3k...., but according to AUS site it does not qualify as it extends to 3x...
    Rang Apple, they referred me to Authorised dealer to deal with this.
    Rang local dealer, they referred me to Apple. I pointed out that I already spoke to Apple and was referred to a dealer. I was placed on hold and then informed that they will call me back. After about 30 min, they did and the procedure is that I need to bring the battery to them and it will be sent to Apple for an exchange which could be up to 6 weeks.

andy

That's odd.
    NextByte told me they'd order the battery and I could bring in the old one when it's ready to be picked up.
    Meantime, I've installed a NuPower battery with some improvement over the Apple product.
     MacBook (Unibody) 13in, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, OS10.5.7 + PowerBook G4, 12in, 1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM, OS10.4.11 + Bondi Blue iMac, 96MB RAM, OS9.2.2

seems to me like there is still a lot of confusion. i rang the applecenter in flinders st and was told they would not do it cos there are too many and it must be done through the website. then i rang applecenter in bourke st and they said just bring it in and they will order a new one that may take 4-6 weeks. but i have 2 so i could do one and then the other.

Mine falls under this. Called the apple repair agent and they've logged my job. YAY, possibly 4-6 weeks without a 'portable' computer - Apple really is like Dell now :P

i got quoted 6-8 weeks, from next byte in adelaide but they need my old one before they order it... looks like itll be pen and paper for lecture notes....

I have an iBook G4 that I ordered online in the US in Jan....I'm gonna check it tonight....but....what happens if we don't return the old battery?

WOOHOO!

I was looking at the wrong page before, but my battery actually does qualify for replacement!

Just as well, as it was stuffed anyway, only got about 35% of its life left, now I get a new one!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smilne360 &#064; Aug 25 2006, 02&#58;04 PM) [snapback]208321[/snapback]</div>
    i got quoted 6-8 weeks, from next byte in adelaide but they need my old one before they order it... looks like itll be pen and paper for lecture notes....
    [/b]
    Your iBook / PowerBook will still run on AC power while you don&#39;t have a battery :P

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spilla &#064; Aug 25 2006, 02&#58;47 PM) [snapback]208327[/snapback]</div>
    I have an iBook G4 that I ordered online in the US in Jan....I&#39;m gonna check it tonight....but....what happens if we don&#39;t return the old battery?
    [/b]

spilla if you don&#39;t return it you are risking it exploding like the Dell/Sony laptops :blink:

I&#39;m happy about a new battery for the iBook the one getting replaced was lucky to last 15mins
    "The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse'. There is no evidence that people want to use these things."
    John C. Dvorak in the San Francisco Examiner, February 1984

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast