Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Any of you folks use your notebooks that way?

Is it alright to do it? I suppose my main concern is the heat from the 'heat' areas when lid is closed... anyone care to shed some (positive) light on it?

it's 'fine' I did it for a long time with my 12", but, two things, take the battery out of it, and run the powerbook just from the charger (otherwise you'll stuff the battery). Mine didn't overheat while the lid was closed, but, i did mostly use it with the lid open (can't beat duel screen&#33 so, yeah.

well, having dual screen with a 24" and a 15" isn't that good :\

I had 12" & 17" still better than single 12" or 17"

but, yeah, the main thing i would say (as stated above), is about the battery, I learnt the hard way, and needed to get a new one becuase i stuffed it by leaving in plugged in the entire time

The battery shouldn't be effected. It'll trickly charge, once it's full it won't keep charging it.

I ran my 12" powerbook lid closed and on the power about 70% of the 2 and a half years I owned it, battery is fine.

I'm doing the same thing with my macbook.

What you do need to do, is make sure that you drain the battery every month or so and charge back to full in order to re-calibrate it, otherwise it'll get out of sync report dodgy battery life remaining.
    garethtownsend.info

Melbourne Cocoaheads! - we're cuckoo for cocoa apps!

Can I use my Pismo running 10.4.7 w/ lid closed? or is this a feature restricted to later models?

thnx all

I used a Wallstreet for a couple of years with the lid closed attached to a 3rd party dock with no problems, so should be ok with your Pismo

edit = added BookEndz url
    15" PowerBook Ti 1Ghz & 15" Mac Book Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo. 13 MacBook Air 2GHz i7

anyone here doing this on a iBook? what are your experiences? i hear that it isnt good as the LCD will block the vents?

any truth to this?
    Just Chillin.

From what I have heard/seen on the web - iBook + clamshell mode = big no.

Trades: Clockwork, applecollector, Amzy, Brains, chris, samuelclarke, mrldigitalmedia
    Link: http://www.lifeinplasticpants.com/2003/07/12/index.html

Well, while we've bought up batteries in here, is it okay to leave the battery in, and also have my PB plugged in all the time too? Does it really stuff the battery up?

Melted.Marsbar
     My Mac Stuff: 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 8GB RAM and iPhone 5 32GB
     Successful Trading: anaami, areal, Huy, mattcooper, TheKeddi, KunfuCamel, gumby08

Personally I don't recommend this. Heat rises, and in laptops a lot of it rises through the keyboard.
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru

Thanks for sharing omelette, I will be sure to try this on the ol-pismo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pipsqeek &#064; Aug 3 2006, 04&#58;59 PM) [snapback]201023[/snapback]</div>
    Personally I don&#39;t recommend this. Heat rises, and in laptops a lot of it rises through the keyboard.
    [/b]
    Personally, I thoroughly agree with Pipsqeek...

When using my Powerbook, it is usually opened and spanned with my 20" DELL. Once it was shut, supposed to be asleep but someone must have knocked the mouse or the keyboard, so it was shut and on (for hell knows how long) and was very hot, like never before, even compared to those occasions when I push it.

So my advice is, if you can help it, keep it open and wack it on an iCurve when in use. It&#39;ll keep it cooler and increase its long-term lifespan, I have no doubt.
    www: robv.net | twitter: @robvnet

well i had a discussion with my mate who&#39;s a techie at an apple store, he says that its fine to do, the notebooks are built to do that kind of thing anyway&#33; and he does it all the time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mechcon &#064; Aug 3 2006, 12&#58;42 PM) [snapback]201130[/snapback]</div>
    well i had a discussion with my mate who&#39;s a techie at an apple store, he says that its fine to do, the notebooks are built to do that kind of thing anyway&#33; and he does it all the time.
    [/b]
    Each to their own I guess. I&#39;m in a similar situation to vargz with my PB spanned to a 17" screen, and I am ultra careful not to have it wake from sleeping with the lid closed - to the point where I actually turn off the charger at the wall so it&#39;ll stay snoozing despite being still connected to the DVI cable to the screen.

And anyway an iCurve is a must for spanning, so that helps with temps whether on or if cooling down/off.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vargz &#064; Aug 3 2006, 09&#58;34 PM) [snapback]201125[/snapback]</div>
    Personally, I thoroughly agree with Pipsqeek...

When using my Powerbook, it is usually opened and spanned with my 20" DELL. Once it was shut, supposed to be asleep but someone must have knocked the mouse or the keyboard, so it was shut and on (for hell knows how long) and was very hot, like never before, even compared to those occasions when I push it.

So my advice is, if you can help it, keep it open and wack it on an iCurve when in use. It&#39;ll keep it cooler and increase its long-term lifespan, I have no doubt.
    [/b]
    I suppose I forgot to mention those things :P

I have my PowerBook spanning to another 15" LCD, and it&#39;s on an iCurve. But should we remove our batteries, or will they be fine with the AC charger plugged in all the time?
     My Mac Stuff: 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 8GB RAM and iPhone 5 32GB
     Successful Trading: anaami, areal, Huy, mattcooper, TheKeddi, KunfuCamel, gumby08

I connect to my OLD 17" monitor much of the time with the lid closed and the battery in, the only problem I have occasionally is when I unplug and then go to use it "normally" the computer has turned off and I have no idea why, the only way to avoid this is to unplug the monitor with the lid open and THEN shut it.

iPhone 4 - Macbook Pro 15.4 - Powerbook 17" 1.5GH, ATV, iMac,iPad, iPhone 5, MacBook Pro (Retina)

i use my iBook as a desktop at home, yet have problems with it not wanting to wake when the lid is closed. I do not span it (19" and 12") do not work together than well, and - given the sleep issue - have been keeping it open, yet with the screen brightness turned right down

If i touch the keyboard/plut it in, it will wake to login then go back to sleep.

Any experiences/thoughts/work-arounds?

thanx

ps i am also interested in the battery issue - i have my iBook plugged in pretty much all the time when in use (i.e. at school when not at home) and i posted before how my battery went holding from 3-4 hours charge to only holding 1 overnight

I forgot to mention that I have an icurve too :P

oh and what is the official word from apple regarding this query? anyone stumble upon it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast