Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hello,

I would like to know how to install windows XP on to an external HDD i have bootcamp running on my mac mini so i would like to do it from that or Virtual PC maybe?
    Anyways i would just like to know how i can do this becuase the XP Install fails all the time on the laptop that i recently got and i want to install XP on another machine and then just plot the HDD in and hope for the best.
    If you know ANYTHING please message!
    Thankyou
    My Macs: MacBook Pro 17", Powerbook Ti 867Mhz, Powermac 5500 Black, iBook G3 900Mhz, Powermac MDD, Powermac 8600 250Mhz, Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz Mac Mini, iMac G4 17" 1Ghz, eMac 1Ghz, eMac 800Mhz,
    AppleCollector Sales Service/Sales/Support/Trade In's

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(applecollector &#064; Jul 28 2006, 04&#58;35 PM) [snapback]199217[/snapback]</div>
    Hello,

I would like to know how to install windows XP on to an external HDD i have bootcamp running on my mac mini so i would like to do it from that or Virtual PC maybe?
    Anyways i would just like to know how i can do this becuase the XP Install fails all the time on the laptop that i recently got and i want to install XP on another machine and then just plot the HDD in and hope for the best.
    If you know ANYTHING please message&#33;
    Thankyou
    [/b]

You cant - xp starts and stops the usb drives during boot up, so it would effectivly kill itself. There are some hacks around but they are quite complex and I have not heard of anyone having real success

S*IT i was really hopeing i could get this machine up and running.
    I keep getting these werid errors and i&#39;ve tried so many install disks.
    dang :-(
    My Macs: MacBook Pro 17", Powerbook Ti 867Mhz, Powermac 5500 Black, iBook G3 900Mhz, Powermac MDD, Powermac 8600 250Mhz, Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz Mac Mini, iMac G4 17" 1Ghz, eMac 1Ghz, eMac 800Mhz,

It&#39;s definitely possible:
    http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=1015

You will need to reserve a small amount of space as the XP boot partition - XP actually installs to the external USB disk, but needs a small data partition to get it through bootup. You can use this internal partition as a data sharing drive too if you wish.

First of all, you need to get the standard install process working first.
    What errors are you getting?

Thanks for that URL.
    To get this working it&#39;s gonna take me ages&#33;
    I keep getting these files error while doing the install example
    I could be doing the XP Install then like 5 mins to the install i get this thing that comes up and says "this file cannot be installed press esc to skip file note this may prevent windows from booting" if i keep pressing escape i eventually get a blue screen.
    and thats as far as i can get.

The "this file can not be copied" error can be a number of things but the ones I have encountered the most are corrupt install media and crappy memory thats causing them to be corrupted during the copy/decompress.
    MacBookPro 15", iPhone 3G

Successful trades : Cool Smiley, wally4000, macrob69, kaisersozay x2, gilligan911,
    step_andy, neo, mac_man_luke, Clockwork, iMarty, Simo, natakim, chocho, ARB, macman, Goodbye, gregh
    nightelves, suryo, TheKeddi

I have 256Mb Ram inside