Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: My iPod crashes

Does anyone else have an iPod that crashes? Mine seems to do it about once a week. It will be playing as normal and then simply stop. The other times it has just sat around heating up until the battery dies. Then when I get home from work I drop it in the dock and all seems fine again. What is going on??

Same thing happens with my iPod.
    I just hold onto the centre button and Menu, and it restarts fine. :P
    What am I supposed to put in here?

A joke maybe?

I would love to be a wombat.
    All I would do is eat root and leaves.

Obviously, there is something wrong with it so if I was you, I'd take it down to where you bought it before you the warranty runs out, so they can fix it.

have you done a restore on it?

Originally posted by markh@Nov 12 2004, 11:44 AM
    have you done a restore on it?
    Sorry, but what do you mean by restore?

I thought the iPod crashing was just normal.
    I guess I was wrong.

A joke maybe?

NO, is definately not normal.

I forget how to do a restore but google should help you find some instructions.
    garethtownsend.info

Melbourne Cocoaheads! - we're cuckoo for cocoa apps!

Run the ipod updater, click restore....

my ipod occassionally crashes when being used as a firewire hard drive. the do not disconnect thing stops flashing and the mac beachballs until you take it out of the dock.
    just finished uni so i've got time to fix it now
    Rev.B 20" Intel iMac: 2.16GHZ, 2GB RAM, 256MB VIDEO, 500GB HDD
    Be aware, be peaceful.

mine crashes when I play a particular song - gets to the same spot then dies. boots back up fine. must be some sort of corruption in the file.
    Macbook Pro 2.53 i5 | Mac Mini Core 2 Duo | 16GB iPhone 3G | PM G5 DP 1.8 | PB G4 1.5 | PM G3 400 | 20GB 3G iPod | 4GB iPod Mini

What song is it? Might be a hint not to listen to whoever it is.
    troll
    n. A supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, variously portrayed as a friendly or mischievous dwarf or as a giant, that lives in caves, in the hills, or under bridges.

The song is Remember by Disturbed. Probably serves me right for listening to that kind of music. :P

Each time the track clicks over the ipod reboots itself - its quite strange.
    Macbook Pro 2.53 i5 | Mac Mini Core 2 Duo | 16GB iPhone 3G | PM G5 DP 1.8 | PB G4 1.5 | PM G3 400 | 20GB 3G iPod | 4GB iPod Mini

Is this is a common problem?

I had heard about the spinning of the hard disk that can be heard at the beginning of a track. But not of the iPod freezing.

-Adam

The data tables might be corrupted moth, try a restore to see if that doesn't fix the problem.
    We are all about love and happiness :)

Originally posted by adamjc@Nov 12 2004, 11:44 PM
    Is this is a common problem?

I had heard about the spinning of the hard disk that can be heard at the beginning of a track. But not of the iPod freezing.

-Adam
    That depends... some people found that static could be heard at the beginning of the track - this was a fault found in the new 4th Generation Click-Wheel iPods, it affected 40 gig models, but it was also discovered in the 20s also. I don't know what the story is now, whether Apple has done something to fix this - but head on over to ipodlounge to follow it up.

Now, sometimes you can hear the HDD spinning up (on all ipods) when you change tracks, this usually occurs when the track(s) hasn't been loaded into the cache. This is completely normal, and most of the time you cannot hear this unless it is dead silent around you. If it is quite audible you might have a problem, but if it doesn't affect performance don't be too concerned. Apparently, I remember reading there was a feature that if your iPod started emitting a very loud beep it meant the HDD was on the verge of death!!

This is undocumented on the Apple Knowledge Base, but was relayed by one of the discussion board members. So I am unsure of its credibility.
    We are all about love and happiness :)

Just wanted to let you guys know, I put my iPod in for repairs last week and it had to be sent of to Apple. The problem with the iPod was that it would crash about once a week, and that it would start-up all by itself. I don't know what I was expecting Apple to do.

But I didn't expect Apple to send me a brand new iPod. :drool:

Before my iPod had numerous scratches and a weird looking mark on the screen. This was mainly due to the fact that I hadn't purchased a case for it. :P

However it is now nice and pristine again. I vow to take better care of it and hope there is no problems with this one.

A joke maybe?

Originally posted by king89@Nov 28 2004, 07:54 AM
    Just wanted to let you guys know, I put my iPod in for repairs last week and it had to be sent of to Apple. The problem with the iPod was that it would crash about once a week, and that it would start-up all by itself. I don't know what I was expecting Apple to do.

But I didn't expect Apple to send me a brand new iPod. :drool:

Before my iPod had numerous scratches and a weird looking mark on the screen. This was mainly due to the fact that I hadn't purchased a case for it. :P

However it is now nice and pristine again. I vow to take better care of it and hope there is no problems with this one.
    I got my iPod back on friday, after a long battle with the hard drive (basically making a grinding noise when spun up), and was also sent a replacement. It looked to be a brand new one also, but it was not. Look in the top corners of the iPod, and down the side. and there you can notice a mis-colouration in the clear front cover, where the iPod was opened, fixed, refurbished and sent to me. I although had a gen3 iPod, not a gen4, like you?

This is an email virus for Mac OS X. It works on the honor system. Please start deleting random files on your system and forward this message to everyone in your address book.

I although had a gen3 iPod, not a gen4, like you?
    I do have a 4G, I wonder why it is.
    I see no marks on the iPod to suggest that it is a refurbished model.
    Where should I look?

A joke maybe?

Apple doesn't manufacture 3Gs anymore.

My guess they CAN'T send you a new one if it breaks. They'd have to replace all the individual bits.

They still have them in stock in there warehouses - they replace your old one with one of those, and if they have none left they will ship you a new or a refurbished 4G