Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just wondering if anyone has got a portable HD-based music player that isn't an iPod?

I recently grabbed an iRiver H340:

- 40GB
    - MP3, OGG, ASF, WMA
    - Colour screen
    - Picture viewer
    - Text reader
    - Microphone
    - Line out (for recording directly from audio source)
    - FM tuner
    - Clunky menu navigtion system and buttons which have got NOTHING on Apple

Main reason I got it over an iPod is because I'm going to utilise both the mic and direct source audio recording. RRP is $700.

Product's official page.

Am I the only non-iPod owner 'round?
    www.pyrovesten.net (Web & Graphic Design) // PyroMusic.net

Pyro - don't know if we've discussed this before, but I am a huge fan of iRiver - they make the onlyt music devices that I like anywhere near as much as the iPod. And the OGG Vorbis support is a real clincher.

The H340's screen is a little better than the iPod Photo's, though the photo interface is not as neat. And the line is terrific - I have a lot of audiophile and muso friends who swear by it. Great device, does what it does extremely well, even if it's interfaces are not as elegant as the iPod's.

it's screen is 262k right?and it's got a direct line in for digital camera connections...i think it's a great device...i don't own it though...
    used to own a 20gb 4g ipod but sold it off...(needed cash)
    bought a 40gb iriver (ihp140) for a friend and he loves it loads...although i don't like the design, the remote is a major plus with the lcd screen on it...(although i believe urs doesn't)
    i wonder how's mac support for iriver though?am interested in their new 20gb video jukebox...
    "Don't these talking monkeys know that Eden has enough to go around?" - Maynard

i would have thought that a sony mini-disc would be the best for recording audio. I know a few dj's who record their live sets with a md.
    Can I ask what made you choose the iriver over the mini-disc for recording? Was it primarily because its a hard-drive player?
    I have no successful trades

As far as I'm concerned mini-disc is a dead format, never was anything and never will be.

Had they had a much greater capacity, things would be different.

I have over 40GB of legitimate music anyway so mini-discs would be useless for taking my CD collection around with me and listening to. Not to mention that having to switch and sift through countless discs to find recorded audio would be a royal pain in the arse.

I have used both iRivers and iPods and find the iPod scroll wheel to be the big advantage over the iRiver: using the little buttons to navigate through heaps of music was too clunky for me. Your thoughts?
    1.0Ghz 15" TiBook, MBP 13" 2.4/4/256, MBA 13" 2013 1.7/8/128 SSD, 1st Gen 5GB iPod (mint condition), 2nd Gen 10GB iPod, iPod video, nano and shuffle, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB

One of my friends has a creative player. Dont ask which model, but i didnt like it all that much, mostly the interface and buttons were harder to use. Click Wheel is a major advantage in the iPod.

-Adam.

Originally posted by PyroVesten@Nov 11 2004, 05:26 PM
    As far as I'm concerned mini-disc is a dead format, never was anything and never will be.

Had they had a much greater capacity, things would be different.

I have over 40GB of legitimate music anyway so mini-discs would be useless for taking my CD collection around with me and listening to. Not to mention that having to switch and sift through countless discs to find recorded audio would be a royal pain in the arse.
    There's always hi-md.

But you need a PC.

Originally posted by Ozi@Nov 11 2004, 05:43 PM
    I have used both iRivers and iPods and find the iPod scroll wheel to be the big advantage over the iRiver: using the little buttons to navigate through heaps of music was too clunky for me. Your thoughts?
    Aesthetics and ease of use are the only things the iPod have over the iRiver in my books, however due to the very intuitive iPod wheel, it is a pretty big advantage.

However, the built-in FM tuner, MUCH longer battery life, included mic, line in and OGG support really push the iRiver ahead.

Even when you fork out for a mic for an iPod, it can't record better than something ridiculous like 8kbps.

The only problem I have with the iRivers are their crappy design IMO, Creative does better, and they just tries to do toooooo much. People have to remember is a music player. For example, its great that it has a usb connection on it so you can hook it up to cameras, but it only supports a handful of cameras. (like 20).

And I agree that Mini Disc is a dead format. The idea of buying "discs" is dumb to begin with. Why do that when you have a 60 GB Hard Drive?
    Successful Trades Byde, benny gsr, BiRDBRAiN, neilrobinson, scruffie, kewpid, MacUser, Daz, BrettO, Cam

Originally posted by fompsweeva@Nov 11 2004, 06:15 PM
    There's always hi-md.

But you need a PC.
    Chortle, chortle...

I can only presume you've never used Sony's software...

We own 4 Sony mini disc players including one netMD player, and I suspect that Sony's Sonic Stage application is possibly the worst media player ever written.

Sony support for mp3? Don't even think of it (and I do know they have been forced to abandon their stand on not supporting mp3's after the glorious and spectacular failure of their most recent "iPod killer")

By all means consider alternatives to the iPod (we own two 3G models), but save yourself some angst and remove Sony from your list of alternatives to be considered.

Sony was once a great company, but their engineers have been crippled by Sony Entertainment and it's obsession with DRM.

Steve

i know that everyone is saying that the mini-disc is dead, but so far as recording audio goes its still the best one around for quality. For instance, if your recording a live show the only other alternative to get the same quality as the mini-disc is to bring a computer and connect it up. And if your going to use it primarily recorder, I daresay that you wouldn't really care about the accompanying desktop software or the DRM.

The ipod and iriver are really only useful for recording as a dictaphone, if you wanted to record music they're pretty much useless. But so far as song playback the ipod and iriver absolutely kill it (for reasons highlighted in the above posts).
    I have no successful trades

I would have thought a Digital Audio Tape recorder would be the best option for portable recording of live music and such?

nah, decryption. Reel to reel 2" tape is way better. :P
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

Originally posted by the_OM@Nov 12 2004, 12:19 AM
    i know that everyone is saying that the mini-disc is dead, but so far as recording audio goes its still the best one around for quality. For instance, if your recording a live show the only other alternative to get the same quality as the mini-disc is to bring a computer and connect it up. And if your going to use it primarily recorder, I daresay that you wouldn't really care about the accompanying desktop software or the DRM.

The ipod and iriver are really only useful for recording as a dictaphone, if you wanted to record music they're pretty much useless. But so far as song playback the ipod and iriver absolutely kill it (for reasons highlighted in the above posts).
    I agree if you need to record live audio with a microphone then the minidisc is excellent. I do know that the ABC's reporters use them when recording in the field.

However, don't forget there is no ability to download the resulting ATRAC file from your minidisc player to your computer. (That may NOT be true with the new format) So the only way to "download" your recording is to play it back through your line-in connection in real time and capture the analogue in-put.

Steve

Be really really honest. Who went with the ipod because everyone else was? I did a little bit, not to try and be cool (though every little bit helps :P ) but mainly because I was unfamiliar with the technology and thought I would go with strength in numbers. My method of thinking was, if the ipod was the most popular portable music player on the market, then there must be a reason. This caused me to research the ipod for myself. I knew very little about them 8 months ago, so after making a calculated decision I took the plunge purchased the ipod and have never been happier. I own a vast array of walkmans, portable compact disk player, hell I ever owned a mini disk for a very short time, but I never used them in the way I now rely on my ipod. That's my thought for the day. Why did you choose ipod over other brands?

Trendy? Brand loyalty? Value? Performance? Other.................?
    Succesful Trades: Frenchtoast, scopegate

I chose it because of all the reasons above.
    Plus, it's easy to use

I have been listening to music for what would have to be 10 years now.
    That was probably when mp3s were starting to get popular, or was I a really early adopter?
    I have owned numerous number of Walkmans (tape), MD players (3 on the last count) but never any CD players (due to lack of CDs).

The main reason I choose the iPod was the fact that I had recently fallen in love with my new PowerBook (recent switcher) and I thought that iPod was a safe bet for my music collection (atm sitting at about 3000 songs). I was considering the iRiver models, but the whole thought of dragging and dropping that many songs, without a software end to manage my songs would have been near impossible. Now I can't live without my smart playlist, shuffle and some extent having all my contacts instantly available to me. Now my iPod follows me where ever I go.
    What am I supposed to put in here?

A joke maybe?

I would love to be a wombat.
    All I would do is eat root and leaves.

I didn't choose it to be cool. I reckon thats a bad thing actually. I want it to be different. Too many people own one.

The main reason is because Apple Made it. I like their stuff.

Other reasons included it works perfectly with my Mac and iTunes. It is super easy to navigate through the system. Its beautiful unlike other players who TRY.
    Successful Trades Byde, benny gsr, BiRDBRAiN, neilrobinson, scruffie, kewpid, MacUser, Daz, BrettO, Cam

Previous owner of a Creative 20GB USB2.0 Zen (Gen2?) and now a Creative Muvo^2 4GB.

Both competitors of the iPod and iPod mini... why I got it? because of the price tag and also because the zen shares the same name as I do everyone thinks I've customized the player! B)

Purchased the iPod mini strictly for the 4GB MicroDrive inside it, it has now been replaced with old 1GB. Because it works out cheaper to buy the player for the drive inside it than just the drive alone.

Will definatly get an iPod of some sort for the next purchase
    Rockin' with - 11" 1.4Ghz 2Gb Ram 64Gb SSD MacBook Air | 17" 2.53Ghz i5 8Gb Ram 200Gb SSD MacBook Pro | 27" 2.66Ghz i5 iMac | AirPort Express | 16GB Black iPhone 5 | 16GB White iPad Mini

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast