Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi all,

I'm a first time mac buyer looking at MacBook or MacBook Pro. I've bought PC's in the past for my parents and others and am used to customising everything to my needs. Basically I want everything on the 13" 2 ghz MB but am worried about limiting myself with graphics applications. I love the rest of it and I wish I could just buy it with a half decent graphics card, but no use wishing.

I'm trying to find out if I need to go up to the MBP for the dedicated card. My uses will generally be limited to internet browsing, document production, music and photo libraries and to a limited extent video, but I do want to have the option of getting into photo editing - something I havn't done before. Will this really need a dedicated card? I won't really be gaming or doing intenstive video editing so I don't need the beez neez of graphics capability.

This brings up a separate point - which is running Photoshop on MB's. I have never used any decent photo editing software so am not hooked on anything, but Photoshop seems to be the norm. I hear it can be very slow on the Intel chip - Is the current version still running via Rosetta? and are there as capable mac or mac friendly photo editing products?

Also I want to upgrade the RAM from the 2 x 256 standard option - but the online applestore only gives you 1 GB by a 2 x 512 option (and the 2 x 1Gb is at extortionist pricing). I understand the 2 x 512 will help with the speed for shared mem for graphics, but if I want to upgrade later I gotta get two new cards. Being a mac novice I'm also not sure how safe the aftermarket option is for me. Same issue with HD. The applestore.com pricing for going up over 80GB is pretty stiff, and I want to make sure I don't need to muck around with stuff to make it 'just work'. What do you think?

To answer your questions...how much are you willing to spend?
    If you can afford MBP, I would go for MBP, as you said it has dedicated video card which will make big difference in anything that is graphics intensive. This could be also a case if you want to run Windows Vista for one reason or another.

Second, MBP has a capability to drive an external monitor in extended desktop mode.

Third, MBP comes with either one 512 or 1GB RAM stick which is less expensive to upgrade to either 1Gb or 2 Gb, as opposed to 2 x 256 sticks for MB where you will need to discard both sticks.

In terms of photo software, I use iPhoto to store and edit, iMovie to construct more advanced slideshows and iDVD to compile DVDs. I believe that Photoshop Elements has decent amount of advanced editing tools to keep semi professionals happy, no need for full Photoshop.
    Cost wise $1,200 v $140

Brief Elements review http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/software/g...39221968,00.htm

Hi,

From the sounds of it, the MB will be fine for what you're after.

In terms of Photoshop speed, I would definitely max the ram out at 2Gb as it does wonders for the speed of Photoshop under Rosetta. You can get 1Gb for $169 at Zytech and it carries a lifetime warranty, though they don't say the brand name so I'd query it with them first re their support for Apple hardware.

Anyway, welcome to macdom. You won't go back.

g.
    Barista for iPhone & iPod Touch | Barista on Twitter
    Cellar for iPhone & iPod Touch | Cellar on Twitter
    The Early Edition for iPad | Glasshouse Apps on Twitter

I reckon you would be fine with just the Macbook. For photo apps and basic video editing, the macbook has been holding its own VERY well against other machines. There is a site showing some benchmark tests (someone might know the link) that really does surprise with just the little macbook.

Adobe, though unfortunately haven't released a universal version yet but it is the default photo app of choice for pro's. In my mind nothing comes close. So get 2 gigs of ram to overcome rosetta sluggishness. DON'T buy apple ram, its extortion. Get a third party one.

I think the only problem with lack of video card would be if you are doing 3d animation or playing games. Other than that, its not an issue in my books.

You might want to pick yourself up a screen to plug into. the 13" is small, particularly if your photo editing. Get a dell or something. Again, Mac, screens are a rip off.

And welcome aboard!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(step_andy &#064; Jul 20 2006, 10&#58;59 AM) [snapback]196782[/snapback]</div>
    To answer your questions...how much are you willing to spend?
    If you can afford MBP, I would go for MBP, as you said it has dedicated video card which will make big difference in anything that is graphics intensive. This could be also a case if you want to run Windows Vista for one reason or another.

Second, MBP has a capability to drive an external monitor in extended desktop mode.

Third, MBP comes with either one 512 or 1GB RAM stick which is less expensive to upgrade to either 1Gb or 2 Gb, as opposed to 2 x 256 sticks for MB where you will need to discard both sticks.

In terms of photo software, I use iPhoto to store and edit, iMovie to construct more advanced slideshows and iDVD to compile DVDs. I believe that Photoshop Elements has decent amount of advanced editing tools to keep semi professionals happy, no need for full Photoshop.
    Cost wise &#036;1,200 v &#036;140
    Brief Elements review http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/software/g...39221968,00.htm
    [/b]
    Thanks for your reply. I suppose I&#39;m willing to spend the extra only if I really need it. Also I like the extra battery time on the MB. SO my main point is will the Intel GMA 950 satisfy me for photo editing (and maybe some very minor video editing). LIke I said it doesn&#39;t need to be the beez neez, I&#39;m not going to be doing professional editing, but I want decent performance.

MacBook will be totally adequate for what you describe.

MacBook Pro C2D 2.4, MacPro Dual Quad 2.8, MacBook Dual 1.83, PowerMac MDD 1.25, PowerMac Quicksilver, eMac 1.0

Thanks all,

I might go the stock standard MB and upgrade RAM when I want to start photo editing. HD? is it worth the extra &#036;85 for the apple 80 Gb over the 60 Gb (then &#036;140 jumps per 20 Gb increase&#33. Or should I just go stock everything now and buy a separate aftermarket HD?

Again, I&#39;m a novice and don&#39;t really want to be mucking around with stuff. I&#39;m coming to mac because it "just works"&#33;&#33;

The one annoying thing is I&#39;ll be salary sacraficing the laptop, and so getting aftermarket stuff may work out only fractionally cheaper due to the fact I cant salary sacrafice the extra bits later.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(macnewby &#064; Jul 20 2006, 11&#58;20 AM) [snapback]196792[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks all,

I might go the stock standard MB and upgrade RAM when I want to start photo editing. HD? is it worth the extra &#036;85 for the apple 80 Gb over the 60 Gb (then &#036;140 jumps per 20 Gb increase&#33. Or should I just go stock everything now and buy a separate aftermarket HD?

Again, I&#39;m a novice and don&#39;t really want to be mucking around with stuff. I&#39;m coming to mac because it "just works"&#33;&#33;

The one annoying thing is I&#39;ll be salary sacraficing the laptop, and so getting aftermarket stuff may work out only fractionally cheaper due to the fact I cant salary sacrafice the extra bits later.
    [/b]
    I just did salary sacrificing thing with MBP.
    Not sure how your organisation deals with it, but I ordered RAM from 3rd party at the same time and was able to combine cost of MBP, Apple care and RAM for the salary thing.

In terms of HD, depends how much storage you need. Is external Fire Wire HD an option? for &#036;200 you can get good quality FW400/USb2 enclosure with 200 GB or so (self assembled - &#036;100 for enclosure and &#036;100 for 200 GB IDE HD) or &#036;250 pre assembled. Gives an option for a full internal HD back up too.

Decisions...decisions

I just salary packaged a macbook and love it. I have a powerbook at home as well but the macbook is great for portibility.

I bought mine through streetwise - they do ram at a reasonible cost which when order at time of purcahse can be salary packaged

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(step_andy &#064; Jul 20 2006, 10&#58;59 AM) [snapback]196782[/snapback]</div>
    Second, MBP has a capability to drive an external monitor in extended desktop mode.[/b]
    MBs have the same capability. iBooks always had the capability too - Apple just prevented it in software. I am using my iBook with a 20" LCD right now. Screen Spanning Doctor is the utility that unlocked screen spanning on ye olde PPC macs.
    "The need is not for, say, half a million -inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million -inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(forgie &#064; Jul 20 2006, 12&#58;03 PM) [snapback]196808[/snapback]</div>
    MBs have the same capability. iBooks always had the capability too - Apple just prevented it in software. I am using my iBook with a 20" LCD right now. Screen Spanning Doctor is the utility that unlocked screen spanning on ye olde PPC macs.
    [/b]
    Wow...didn&#39;t know that

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(step_andy &#064; Jul 20 2006, 11&#58;49 AM) [snapback]196800[/snapback]</div>
    I just did salary sacrificing thing with MBP.
    Not sure how your organisation deals with it, but I ordered RAM from 3rd party at the same time and was able to combine cost of MBP, Apple care and RAM for the salary thing.

In terms of HD, depends how much storage you need. Is external Fire Wire HD an option? for &#036;200 you can get good quality FW400/USb2 enclosure with 200 GB or so (self assembled - &#036;100 for enclosure and &#036;100 for 200 GB IDE HD) or &#036;250 pre assembled. Gives an option for a full internal HD back up too.

Decisions...decisions
    [/b]
    Step Andy... Did you buy at the same place? hence same receipt? My work wants it all on the once receipt.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(step_andy &#064; Jul 20 2006, 12&#58;15 PM) [snapback]196815[/snapback]</div>
    Wow...didn&#39;t know that

[/b]

Its a great little patch that one. I&#39;ve done it on my G5 imac. Dug out my old CRT 17" studio monitor and bingo, so much space.

for me, in a lappy id suggest getting the biggest HD you can..

i almost bought my ibook with the stock 30gig HD a coupla years ago, the guy at the apple shop was like just get an external HD.. f that - for a portable to be relying on external drives makes no sense to me.. i am SO pleased i got a custom order online with the 60gig HD.. now its maxed out

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gurgle &#064; Jul 20 2006, 12&#58;56 PM) [snapback]196827[/snapback]</div>
    for me, in a lappy id suggest getting the biggest HD you can..

i almost bought my ibook with the stock 30gig HD a coupla years ago, the guy at the apple shop was like just get an external HD.. f that - for a portable to be relying on external drives makes no sense to me.. i am SO pleased i got a custom order online with the 60gig HD.. now its maxed out
    [/b]

yeah, I did&#39;t know what to about that. I&#39;ve just bought a macbook pro with the standard 80gigs and I&#39;m already pushing it for space. Once you load something like studio pro, do one media jobby, boom your out of space.

BUT
    then I could justify paying so much per gig on an upgrade.

So I&#39;ll just have to be diligent with file management. Have just purchased another 500gig firewire.

but yeah, its a tricky one that decision.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(macnewby &#064; Jul 20 2006, 12&#58;46 PM) [snapback]196822[/snapback]</div>
    Step Andy... Did you buy at the same place? hence same receipt? My work wants it all on the once receipt.
    [/b]
    No, bought RAM from 3rd party, byt MBP and Applecare from same place. I am with a university. I guess, they are bit more flexible.
    A.

macnewby, don&#39;t buy from Apple direct as you won&#39;t get a discount.

Shop around, but I can&#39;t find better prices than at Get Mac.

Cheers,
    g.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(graemie &#064; Jul 20 2006, 01&#58;12 PM) [snapback]196838[/snapback]</div>
    macnewby, don&#39;t buy from Apple direct as you won&#39;t get a discount.

Shop around, but I can&#39;t find better prices than at Get Mac.

Cheers,
    g.
    [/b]
    Thanks graemie... Those are great prices. I&#39;m a bit lucky in that I also get a discount with Apple through an Employee Purchasing Program with my work. This discount is just over half of the edu discount, which works out to be pretty much exactly the same as the Get Mac prices except my 3 year APP is about &#036;25 cheaper than Get Mac.

Oh well go direct then. Plus if you get a stock standard config it is easier to get replaced by Apple if it&#39;s DOA.

g.

Hi All,
    I am in the position where I am after a new notebook. I, of course want to stay with an Apple laptop, but now face the options of the Macbook or the Macbook Pro. I have been offered a refurb Macbook Pro at a really good price, maxed out with 2Gig of RAM, 100Gig HDD, Core Duo 2.0GHz all for under &#036;2900...
    OR
    I can get a Macbook max that out, and prob save some cash as well.

Since I am doing a design course at uni, I am using Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Dremweaver, Flash and more then likely Maya work. I am also going to be running Windows XP and hopefully Vista if and when that ever comes out =)

I just wanted to see what everyone thinks about my options. I have the cash, and cause its a refurb model, the Core 2 Duos really dont fuss me, as I am not going to have enough to be a machine of this spec Brand NEW&#33;

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast