Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

hey there...

so i was in officeworks the other day, and they have an iPod on display, with the clickwheel thingy... and frankly, i was unimpressed. it looked cheap, like it was starting to fall apart, the separate panels where separating..

compared to my brother-in-law's 15gig iPod with the glowing buttons, it looks cheap and shoddy....

i prefer the look of the one-piece facia....

(now burn me, you know you want to)
    .sig

*moves to iPod forum* :blink:
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

I am totally with you. I much prefer the 3rd generation's buttons. Would be cool if you could get the 4th generation's OS with the 3rd gen physical interface. The 3rd gen buttons are also heaps easier to use when using the ipod in the car because you bearly have to touch the buttons... no forcing it around.

EDIT: i've yet to hear about the click wheel actually comming apart... but I guess it's a possibility, and because it's a rubbery thing, I'd imagin it would wear out too.

Yeah, I have to agree.

I have been playing with iPods extensively while at the Apple Shop...read my sig, you'll know why I spent 3 months of my life there.

I was not impressed with the wheel thingy. It works, then doesn't. I guess you eventually get use to the pressure required, but should you have to? I found it fiddly, I couldn't select the right item in the menu, without having to turn it back the other way because I missed it.

Just my 2

pipsqeek
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru

Originally posted by pipsqeek@Nov 25 2004, 03:57 PM
    I found it fiddly, I couldn't select the right item in the menu, without having to turn it back the other way because I missed it.

Just my 2

pipsqeek
    This also happens to me on my 3rd generation... but then again, I am a bit of a retard. It would be a nice feature if you could turn down the sensitivity of it like you do a mouse.

I'm putting in a vote for the 4th gen. I love mine and find it a bit better than my older 3rd gen. I prefer the tactile buttons and haven't had any issues with the construction.
    Grrrr, Arrrrghhh!!!
    http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8259491826/photos
    My Photo Gallery

I like the look of the 3G better but I would say the 4G's wheel is easier to work with.

I think the way Apple upped the battery is by removing the LEDs in the 4 buttons of the 3G which is a shame cause the 4G looks kinda cheap compared to the 3G.
    Successful Trades Byde, benny gsr, BiRDBRAiN, neilrobinson, scruffie, kewpid, MacUser, Daz, BrettO, Cam

While travelling to work (like i'm about to in 10 minutes time), I keep mine in the front pocket of my wool suit pants the whole time, and manage to use the volume control, the play/pause and next/prev buttons, all while wearing gloves while it is 4 degrees..

You get used to it I suppose.

B)

i guess it looks cheaper coz it IS cheaper :drool: (hehe, just thought i'd try the new icon :drool
    "Don't these talking monkeys know that Eden has enough to go around?" - Maynard

Originally posted by Phillip@Nov 25 2004, 04:25 PM
    I think the way Apple upped the battery is by removing the LEDs in the 4 buttons of the 3G which is a shame cause the 4G looks kinda cheap compared to the 3G.
    I wouldn't think that a few LED's would make a significat difference to battery life.

LED's only use about 30mA (milliAmperes). Keeping in mind 1 Amp is 1000mA.

Say they are operating at a nominal 2.8 VDC.

This would give you a power consumption of 0.084Watts or 84 microWatts. Times this by the amount of LED's, 4? not familiar with the iPods. So at most, 0.336Watts. Nearly half a Watt.

Honestly, this would hardly dent the iPod battery life by more then 0.1% if even a fraction of that.

pipsqeek

P.S. Not trying to fuck you over. I was just justifying why would a few LED's really make that much of a difference.
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory

Point taken . But then how did Apple up the battery then? I couldn't have been a bigger battery or a firmware upgrade.
    Successful Trades Byde, benny gsr, BiRDBRAiN, neilrobinson, scruffie, kewpid, MacUser, Daz, BrettO, Cam

Could be just a larger capacity battery (recently LiON and NiMH) both increased in capacity by a large amount. Recently = in the past 12 months.

I have been able to source 2400mAH AA's. These last just as long as Alkaline, why would you buy them?

Alittle off topic:
    There is a small kit you can get from (either Jaycar or DSE - or both) that lets you use AA's in place of those 9Volt ripoff things. These are great cause if you have a device that uses a 9V battery, you can use these AA's in its place, they last longer, and cost less.

pipsqeek

I think that the 3G looks superior to the 4G, but it is harder to use. I like the 3Gs and the way the buttons glow red in the dark. I have a mini and a 3G and single handed use on the mini is easier. I always manage to hit two buttons with my thumb on the 3G.

The 4G OS is better and the battery life is a plus. I would put that down to advances in battery technology and power managment. The 4G uses different components, apparently, so this might make a difference.
    Blog Twitter Flickr Florist Perth
    Jupiter: 15" 2.3 GHz MBP AuPhone II: iPhone 4S 32 Gb AuPad: 16GB iPad

Originally posted by spargo@Nov 25 2004, 05:32 PM
    You get used to it I suppose.
    Which; the 4 degrees, or the gloves?

(33 degrees in Adelaide today and tonight we serviced the air conditioner in preparation for another delightful summer) :P

Edge Guest

Originally posted by Phillip@Nov 25 2004, 06:59 PM
    But then how did Apple up the battery then?
    Bigger cache.

Long running times are achieved by loading a playlist and letting it play continuously. The iPod spins up only occasionally to cache data from the HD, because the spinning HD is the greatest source of power drain. By having a bigger cache, the HD spins up less frequently than the previous models.

If you are constantly accessing the HD by selecting individual tracks, though, the benefits of a larger cache are lost. The HD spins up each time, draining the battery.

That's one reason you may see your battery life shorten over a period of time, as the hard disk becomes fragmented. Instead of whole songs being stored one after the other, the data becomes non-contiguous i.e. songs (or parts thereof) are stored in different parts of the HD. More drive activity is required to access them which drains the battery quicker. So reformatting the iPod (or various other tricks) can often 'reset' your battery.