Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi everyone.
    I've got half an idea to dump my desktop and go for a notebook only. This I need as I'm getting another office so a laptop to travel between locations is a no brainer.

But, is a 17" just too big? I've got a 12" PB & love it's size for travel. But for day to day work. Especially Photoshop retouching II prefer big screens..

15" or 17" what's your opinions

the 17"MBP is awesome as a desktop replacement, as a travelling lappy - well i have kept my 15" PB! for you it would depend how far you were carting it, how often, by what means (car, plane..), and with what else.

if you are just jumping in the beemer and driving to your other office, get the 17". if you are jumping on the malvern star and pedalling an hour with lunch and a camera then stick with a 13" MB.

im getting a 17inch mbp am sick of clients coming to my house will take it on the road with me. perfect for video and audio stuff that I do.

I'm OK to use the 12" PB for flying or other tight situations.
    With a 17" it'd be in the car to work where it'll sit on a desk all day, maybe down the street once to the 2nd office, then home again. So carrying isn't too hard.

I'm thinking about the PB G4 not the MBP. As I'm not really keen on 1st Gen. Plus it's all abouut Adobe Creative Suite for me.
    Has anyone got a 17" G4 story to tell? Good or bad?

Personally, I like the portability of the 12" PB - can easily tap it into the bigger displays at work or home. Hence if you require portability, go for a 15". I just think a 17" will become a pain unless its mainly used as a desktop-replacement and not lugged around too often.
    www: robv.net | twitter: @robvnet

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(new2mac &#064; Jul 19 2006, 05&#58;54 PM) [snapback]196594[/snapback]</div>
    I&#39;m OK to use the 12" PB for flying or other tight situations.
    With a 17" it&#39;d be in the car to work where it&#39;ll sit on a desk all day, maybe down the street once to the 2nd office, then home again. So carrying isn&#39;t too hard.

I&#39;m thinking about the PB G4 not the MBP. As I&#39;m not really keen on 1st Gen. Plus it&#39;s all abouut Adobe Creative Suite for me.
    Has anyone got a 17" G4 story to tell? Good or bad?
    [/b]

its also about how you are size-wise physically.. like im a big bloke @ 6"4, big hands too, the 15" is a good size, but now after pissfarting around with the work&#39;s 17" I regret not getting that one instead.

also, good choice on getting a powerbook still, as they&#39;re still beasts

I&#39;m a 100kg competive powerlifter in my spare time.
    weight shouldn&#39;t be an issue ;-)

I&#39;m more worried about eyestrain&#33;

I&#39;ve been tossing up this question for a while myself.

I&#39;m considering getting a new MacBook Pro to replace my current desktop and my current notebook (a 12" PowerBook).

I&#39;m going to be doing a salary sacrifice, and basically the difference between the 17" and the 15" MacBook Pros work out to only around &#036;250 difference from my pocket (comparing the top end 15" to the top end 17").

I would really rather have the 15" for size reasons. I would need to use the notebook on my lap for the most part. My main problem is that for the extra price, the 17" MacBook Pro gives you so much more... A larger hard drive (or 7200 rpm drive), 8x dual layer superdrive, higher resolution, fw800 and an extra usb port.

If the only difference between the two was the screen and hard drive size as with the last PowerBook revision, I would definitely go for the 15" probably with the 100GB 7200rpm hard drive.

I think I&#39;ll wait until after the next revision to see what the difference is then.

well, with the rumors floating around about the new gen mbp&#39;s around the corner... the 15" models will have those same features as the 17" surely.. i mean they did it with the powerbooks, why not the macbookpro&#39;s?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(new2mac &#064; Jul 19 2006, 06&#58;25 PM) [snapback]196611[/snapback]</div>
    I&#39;m more worried about eyestrain&#33;
    [/b]
    Yes, and you should also consider ergonomics - an iCurve, wireless mouse and keyboard are a must if you will be using any notebook for long periods.
    www: robv.net | twitter: @robvnet

I use a PB 12" all the time and for some of the more eye intensive fiddly stuff connect it to a large display and use a separate mouse/keyboard. Need doesn&#39;t arise often though. And with the bag I carry it in, it looks as if I&#39;m not carrying a notebook at all.
    MacBookPro 15", iPhone 3G

Successful trades : Cool Smiley, wally4000, macrob69, kaisersozay x2, gilligan911,
    step_andy, neo, mac_man_luke, Clockwork, iMarty, Simo, natakim, chocho, ARB, macman, Goodbye, gregh
    nightelves, suryo, TheKeddi

I struggled with the 15 vs 17" PB issue when I bought mine.

I had been a laptop person for almost a decade - and had gone back to a desktop and hated it&#33;

I am still very very happy with my 17"
    If I had to buy again tomorrow I would.
    Extra real estate I find very helpful - particularly now most are widescreen rather than 4:3 ration screens...

means I can have a proper document / spreadsheet / powerpoint open - and have formatting or other things down the side.

Much better WOW factor too if you are going to use in a business setting&#33;
    Mine still turns heads.

I don&#39;t find it heavy at all, and travel with it regularly.
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

I would get a 15 if Ihad the money :&#39;(
    Sick of Bullshit? Go here
    www.youngausskeptics.com

iBook 14'' 1GB Ram, MBP(santa) 15" 4GB ram, iPod Nano(3G) 4gb, iPod shuffle 512mb, iPod Touch 8gb.

I do most of my fiddley work at home on a 23" crt screen. So i guess if I replace the desktop there I&#39;ll end up with 2 screens, which is nice.

In the office, much the same in one setting, and a dest top replacement in the other. wow factor helps too I guess.
    What&#39;s a used G4 17" worth at the moment?

check www.apple.com.au/store/ and on the right there&#39;s a "SAVE" icon, apple are selling refurb&#39;d hi-res powerbooks in 17" for &#036;2800 or so

There&#39;s refurbished MBP 1.83ghz for &#036;2300 on that list. Thats cheaper than the G4 1.67ghz 15" & 17".
    Makes me rethink this.
    What gives?

different conditions and what not.. keep an eye on ram/hdd and vid card too... as well as that, dont forget the hi-res powerbooks have 8x dual layer superdrives, the 17" macbook pro currently is the only intel mac notebook with an 8x dvd burner

can you explain the hi-res distinction on the G4&#39;s for me?

hi-res to the previous powerbooks? or the macbook pro&#39;s?

The difference between the high-res PowerBook and the normal ones is:

high-res 15" PB: 1440px x 960px
    non high-res 15" PB: 1280px x 854 px

so you&#39;re able to fit more stuff on the screen...
    http://samuelclarke.com
    Successful trades: iSlayer, aequitas, James, froggy, loc04t, MightyAtom, macintoshix, areal, therevenge, Razer, clockwork, chrissara, bartron and garrymacdonald

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast