Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up

I am trying to install Windows XP on my Macbook. I go through the steps of creating the Mac Drivers CD and the partition. Then I choose "Start the Installation" I insert the Win XP CD (slipstreamed CD) it sees it OK and restarts the Mac. All I get then is a black screen with a white flashing cursor and it appears to be doing nothing. Anyone had this problem? Any help is appreciated

Thanks
    DJ

Can you see any prompts to press enter? Try pressing it anyway.

Just tried that and it did nothing

Are you using XP service pack 2?

iMac 27 inch 3.4 i7 32 GIG RAM / Macbook Pro C2D 2.33 / 32 GIG iPad 2 / 8 GIG Nano / 32 GIG iPod Touch
    Podcasts - Originz and Mysteries Abound

Give it a go without the slipstream. I dont know why it wouldnt work with it, but give it a go anyway without it.
    MacBook 5,1: 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.7, Windows 7
    Mac Mini 4,1: 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 1TB Ext. HDD (Time Machine), 2TB Ext. HDD, OS X 10.8

Bootcamp says it needs a Windows XP SP2 install disc (aka it must be a slipstreamed disc with atleast SP2)... so a Windows XP disc without SP2 slipstreamed to the install media is likely not going to do nothing more then what its not already doing.

Yes that's correct, apparently the drivers created by Boot Camp are written for the SP2 version of Windows XP. In any case it turned out that my slipstreamed CD was duff. I found some new instructions that resulted in a disc that actually worked and here I am typing this from my Windows installation on my Macbook

Thanks to everyone for your help.