Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

For years I've seen thumbs.db files as a generic icon, since they're unnecessary files on a Mac.

Suddenly tonight I noticed that a .db file has a snazzy icon.

I clicked on it and an app I didn't know I had called OpenBaseManager opened up and started downloading a zip file called OBLatestDocs.zip which weighs in at 44.6mb.

Here's the icon

[attachmentid=381]

and here's the app

[attachmentid=382]

Does anyone know what this is?
    Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.

- Cicero (106BC-43BC)

I have neither the file - though I'm sure I've seen it at some point - nor the app. 10.4.3 Something you've installed yourself?

The file arrives when you get stuff from a Windows system I think, or when you browse a Windows system. Thumbs.db is one of those files Windows needs to make thumbnail images I guess.

I've never installed this application or seen it before! The closest thing I've seen to it is the ODBC Administrator app in the Utilities folder - that's something to do with databases.

Having a look, there is an OpenBase folder in my Applications. It contains the OpenBaseManager and another app called GUI ISQL. I've really never seen it before. Having a look on the net now to see what the hell this is...

EDIT: Got it. I recently installed a trial of Soho Notes (used to be called StickyBrain). It must have installed this at the same time to manage all the bits of info you're meant to collect. Don't like the app though and like it even less now.
    Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.

- Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Good to know. Obviously registers itself for .db files when installed, hence the icon.

Yeah, Open Base is some sort of Database software used by apps like Daylite and SOHO notes. That Thumbs.db turns up when I browse a picture or movie folder in Virtual PC. Windows way of storing thumbnail previews. I have deleted it without issue several times as I hardly ever use virtual PC.
    Powermac 2 x 2GHz, 20" Cinema Display, 550 Mhz Titanium Powerbook, 4GB green iPod mini. MacMini (1.5GHz intel solo) but not using it as a media centre...runs Windows (ergh)....still want a mac media centre.
    Hi Life

For anyone else who wants to try Soho Notes, be wary that it has the insidious cancerlike installation style of a Windows application. You can't just simply drag it to the Trash! Nor can you use AppZapper - it will just strip away Soho Notes and leave you with the previous incarnation of the application, Sticky Brain. And that has no visible application in the Applications folder or anywhere else (couldn't even find it with Spotlight).

The only way to get rid of Soho Notes is to use the installer to uninstall. And it removed over 1800 items from my hard disc! Even then, I got a (very Windows-like) message saying that not all files may have been removed.

- Cicero (106BC-43BC)