Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Here's the sitch:

I have 2 seperate 1gb audio files (3hours @ 128kbps 1xAAC and 1xMP3) taken with Wiretap Pro.

I want to take out some of the bits i don't want and fade in and out to clean those bits up. Also fade in and out at the start and finish perhaps.

And if possible - segment it up if possible into 3 or so smaller tracks (1 hour each)

I know this has been discussed before and the i'm probably looking at 20 posts of 'Audacity' or 'Garage band'. But i have been unsuccessful with Audacity or garage Band even loading the 1gb track.

Am i approaching it wrongly? I've been trying to introduce the file as a 'new track' in garage band. But to be honest i'm not even really sure how to edit it even if it loads.

Any tips or suggestions or good links would be appreciated,
    cheers
    a.
    iMac C2Duo, MacBook Pro C2Duo, iPhone 3Gs
    Tradies : applecollector / thatfilthyspringbok / decryption / mwot / c3017474 / wowbagger / squozen / jarrodb / jaysee

Suggests trying the nine free-trials of SoundStudio 3.

Simple interface - and really good for divvying up a huge track.

cheers,

ClockWork
    Lorks! Oh lordy! My bottom's on fire!!
    [Joan of Arc -
    1431]

my kinda topic *drool*

(as you mentioned) Audacity - Free (http://audacity.sourceforge.net)

Peak - $ (http://www.bias-inc.com)

DSP Quattro - $ but quite cheap considering (http://www.i3net.it/Products/dspQuat...p/Index_EN.asp)

Apple Soundtrack Pro - $ and not sold seperately as far as i know (http://www.apple.com/au/finalcutstudio/soundtrackpro/)

alternatively www.macmusic.org has trackers/info on other software out there, and yes, sound studio 3 is kickass too

I'll second SoundStudio... interface reminds me of SoundEditPro...
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

So i've downloaded sound studio, and it looks good - I had instant success with a bit of editing.

What i did notice though was it had a great big importing file progress bar that started was steady on about 12minutes remaining for a 157mb file.

Was i just rushing Garage band when i tried to import the file? It did'nt give me a 'time remaining' reading so i just assumed it had hung itself.

Should i give Garage Band another go? Anyone use it for this type of thing?

So i've downloaded sound studio, and it looks good - I had instant success with a bit of editing.

What i did notice though was it had a great big importing file progress bar that started was steady on about 12minutes remaining for a 157mb file.

Was i just rushing Garage band when i tried to import the file? It did'nt give me a 'time remaining' reading so i just assumed it had hung itself.

Should i give Garage Band another go? Anyone use it for this type of thing?
    Tradies : applecollector / thatfilthyspringbok / decryption / mwot / c3017474 / wowbagger / squozen / jarrodb / jaysee

I would suggest having no other Applications open whilst importing. Keep Energy Saver to "Never Sleep Display". Do nothing else. Walk away. Find something else to do. Then check it after 30 minutes or so.

You are dealing with BIG files here.

See if that helps.

Cheers,

CW

AddIt: Also from memory, WireTap records in AIFF. Are your 1 GB files AIFFs, or MP3's?

Clockwork - My mistake - one is AAC and the other is MP3 and they are only 157mb each not 1GB.

Thanks for the tips all, i'm on the road to success now...
    cheers,
    a.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aa... &#064; Jul 13 2006, 01&#58;22 PM) [snapback]194457[/snapback]</div>
    Clockwork - My mistake - one is AAC and the other is MP3 and they are only 157mb each not 1GB.[/b]
    My advice is to open them in quicktime, then convert to AIFF.

From there the software will be able to handle them much better. Also, given that they&#39;re AAC/MP3s, they&#39;ll be 16bit, so editing in GarageBand would be a very good option. I&#39;d try that before anything else.

Also, 1gb is big, but not unworkable in most non-destructive audio editors. The key is using a non-destructive editor... (Logic / ProTools / GarageBand / CuBase etc)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marc &#064; Jul 13 2006, 02&#58;18 PM) [snapback]194492[/snapback]</div>
    My advice is to open them in quicktime, then convert to AIFF.
    [/b]
    That&#39;s a good idea (provided one has QuickTime Pro - and yeah - I think folks should buy QT Pro - it&#39;s full advantages are very useful indeed).

By the by Marc - know of any kind of.. hmm.. calculator - that converts what size an MP3 or AAC of various bit rates - is going to be when converted to AIFF, or visa-versa?

Thinks... if there isn&#39;t - that&#39;d make an interesting Widget.

cheers

Oh - PS: aa... - what app put you onto the road to success, just for the survey?

ClockWork

I don&#39;t know of any, but it&#39;s an easy conversion.

Non-compressed audio is about 5.1mb per minute per channel for 16bit. So 10.2mb per min.

So a 4.30 song = 4.5*10.2 = 45.9mb.

My apps of choice are Logic Pro (since v2.02&#33; ) and ProTools. I don&#39;t own ProTools anymore though...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ClockWork &#064; Jul 13 2006, 03&#58;12 PM) [snapback]194519[/snapback]</div>
    That&#39;s a good idea (provided one has QuickTime Pro - and yeah - I think folks should buy QT Pro - it&#39;s full advantages are very useful indeed).[/b]
    I forgot to mention that iTunes can do it for you if you don&#39;t have QT Pro.

Just set your import settings to AIFF, then select the song and choose Advanced>Convert Selection to AIFF.

Still... bounce it off iSlayer - as a "useful" widget

AIFF / MP3 converter

cw

I just use iTunes when I want to convert something to MP3 or AIFF.

Just change your Import settings to what you want and then right click on the item to convert ...

No need to spend extra money on Quicktime Pro ... it should be free with Macs and make Windows users pay :P
    I code, I eat and I'm hungry for more.

Sikosis,

It&#39;s not that. You know how the OS X calculator does all those currency/metric/temperature etc conversions. What about a calulator that tells you the conversion in megabytes of various bit-rates for various lengths of MP3 and AAC audio - if converted into AIFFs - or - visa-versa, so if dealing with very large tracks, one could calculate it before one did it.

For the mathematically unskilled - like ummm... me&#33;

innumerately

ClockWork