Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Our 1.0GHz 12" PowerBook's hard drive has failed so we need to get a new one. Before i go out and buy it I just wanted to ask some advice. i know we've got some Mac repairs experts here, so what brand(s) do you recommend? What should i steer clear of?

Specs:
    2.5"x9.5mm
    5400RPM
    60 or 80Gb

Much appreciated
    p53.

I've never had any problem with Fujitsu or Seagate 5400RPM drives, which are very quiet and run warm, but not excessively so. Hitachi/IBM I've much less confidence in.

If you can go for 7200RPM, you'll get a slightly shorter battery life, but the drives are do not run hotter, contrary to popular belief

JB

I just bought and had a new HD for my 12" PB from MacMate. He did a great job and was much cheaper than the couple of Mac stores I called.

Are you going to install it yourself? I'm usually pretty good with that kind of thing, but passed it on for the 12" PB. After seeing how much effort was involved in pulling it apart (I watched him as he did it&#33, I'm glad I didn't attempt it myself.

Thanks Byrd. I don't really think we need 7200RPM since it will mainly be used for word processing and surfing.

I've seen many bad reports of western digital drives.

Another good vote though for fujitsu, seagate, and i havent had a problem with a hitachi yet either.

5400 80/100gb is the go. As soon as you get the extra capacity it gets used. trust me. especially if you do any graphics etc..
    iMac C2Duo, MacBook Pro C2Duo, iPhone 3Gs
    Tradies : applecollector / thatfilthyspringbok / decryption / mwot / c3017474 / wowbagger / squozen / jarrodb / jaysee

I got a 120GB 5,400RPM Samsung and had it fitted by macmate as well.

I have to say its nice to have this much space on my powerbook.

Thanks. we probably don't need more than 80Gb but it depends what my dad wants i guess.
    btw should we get a tech to fit it, or is it ok if we follow the ifixit.com guide?

Fujitsu drives are evil!!! (I worked for fujitsu for 5 years) Mostly of my time was onsite services swapping out dead fujitsu drives for seagate and maxtors lol.
    "Scrolls as fast as butter!" -- SJ

A friend of mine just had a new hard drive put in his 15" rev C (??1.5 Ghz) PB and they did a pretty good job of stuffing up the case above the Cd slot. Evidently this is common when prying open Power Books?? Some Mac centres ask you to sign a liability waiver in case this happens??

The moral is, go with a recommended repairer and avoid the gorillas!

pity macmate is in Melbourne. Anyone recommend a good repairer in Sydney? About what cost should i expect?
    My dad says he asked an applecentre (nextbyte i think) and they said $1000 for hardware problems!
    thanks
    p53

Rip Off! Installing the HD in a Powerbook isn't hard or nor should it foul up your casing. PBfixit has some very easy to follow guides on how to do this.

Doing so will save you $100

JB

does the hard drive need to be SATA or PATA or either one?

PATA for the PPC laptops, I believe the Macbook/Pro are SATA now.

Thanks birdbrain.

Well yesterday i finally bought a new HDD and installed it in my PB. I followed the guide on pbfixit.com - was scary but easier than i thought it would be. everything seems to be working fine atm (knock on wood).
    p35

I'll be doing this to my PB tonight/this weekend. The guides on pbfixit don't look that bad...

the guide is very good markh. but i still spent the whole time scared i was going to break something

Yeah.. I know what you mean. The 80Gb that came in my 12" PB is starting to "whirr" veru badly.. So ordered a 120Gb samsung to replace it. Will do the job until get a new laptop ;-)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p53 &#064; Jun 30 2006, 11&#58;10 AM) [snapback]190214[/snapback]</div>
    Well yesterday i finally bought a new HDD and installed it in my PB. I followed the guide on pbfixit.com - was scary but easier than i thought it would be. everything seems to be working fine atm (knock on wood).
    p35
    [/b]
    How many screws did you have left over?
    I had one, and I think I remember where it goes h34r:

mutters

mutters,
    My dad had already lost a screw from the memory cover board thing a while ago so i was very careful not to lose any screws. i got out 6 containers to keep my screws organised. i didn&#39;t lose any&#33; although i did almost completely strip one. it was on so damn tight, luckily it was one of the ones that attached the HDD to the hard drive bracket so i could take it off with a spanner.
    p53

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast