Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: MBP as Desktop

Just wondering...

I need to upgrade my (G4) desktop Mac which I use for professionally (graphic design). I like the idea of not being tied to a desk while I work. Is it an efficient way to work if I plug the laptop into my monitor when I need to? I'd be much obliged to anyone who can point out the pros and cons of using a laptop as a desktop?
    This works for me

Well for starters if you use Adobe CS it'll run under rosetta ( until the UB comes out ), so you'll take a performance hit there, but if you add a keyboard & mouse for comfort ( + bigger external display ), it'll be a sweet nice rig.
    ( it's very handy having you current project with your at all times in case of a flash of inspiration )

Im sure others think its not an issue, but Im worried about using the notebook w/ lid closed whilst burning or regular desktop stuff (in otherwords, not in sleep mode)

melting into the screen and what not

if its suits your needs itll work great - the mpb has a decent gpu so you could power a 24in dell easily. The only other thing i would suggest is an external drive for backups/storage space. Buy a huge sata drive - 300 or 400 gigs plus a external drive case.

www.shopferret.com.au is a great comparsion site to give you an idea of cost

Mechon, I am pretty sure that it is okay to run the MBP with the lid closed.
    Alu iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo / iPod Touch 16gb / iPod 3G 20gb
    MBP 2.5ghz Core 2 Duo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Muzza_77 &#064; May 24 2006, 10&#58;19 AM) [snapback]175440[/snapback]</div>
    Mechon, I am pretty sure that it is okay to run the MBP with the lid closed.
    [/b]
    Why close the lid?

Get yourself an iCurve and simply span to your second screen and make the most of the extra space..

This is my home setup with a 2 year old G4 PB:

bigger pics here..

thats how i&#39;ve got it set spargo

i dont know, isn&#39;t there heat emitting from they keyboard and dvd drive when it&#39;s in use? of course it is, and picture that when the notebook lid is closed too

Get yourself a fast Firewire drive to use as the Adobe app&#39;s scratch disk. That&#39;ll make a big difference. Really the only slow point is the hard disks.

However, with the latest MacBook Pro&#39;s, if you&#39;re using Adobe apps, they&#39;ll be a bit slow until the next version of CS comes out with universal binaries. So presently you will probably get a speed jump, but not as much as you should.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

depends what you actually do with your desktop, i have had laptops as my only computer for quite a few years and i have never felt there was any disadvantage for me.

i use a late model 15" powerbook and find it perfect, thinking of moving to a 17" MBP tho&#33;

the 15" PB is many times more powerful than my last desktop (as i said its been a few years) and the last monitor i had on a desktop was only 15" anyway&#33;&#33;

the main thing i like is the lack of clutter - which may not be such a benefit if you keep a monitor to use with your graphic design.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spargo &#064; May 24 2006, 06&#58;58 PM) [snapback]175442[/snapback]</div>
    Why close the lid?

Get yourself an iCurve and simply span to your second screen and make the most of the extra space..
    [/b]
    Spargo is on the right track here. Also, having the lid open is better for cooling from what I hear. Not sure on the MacBooks etc but it was for the iBooks and Powerbooks&#33;

They certainly appear to give out more heat...

My wife uses her notebook mainly as a machine to use anywhere in the house, however when she is not using it like that its sitting on her desk on an icurve. We also have bluetooth mouse and keyboard so that when it is in the room on the icurve, it can be used with those devices much like a desktop.

Super&#33;

I&#39;m running CS2 on a 733mhz G4 now which isn&#39;t up to pace. Good for some projects, unworkable for others.

Great idea re the iCurve. You can never have enough screen real estate.
    This works for me

Closed lid is fine on all modern powerbooks, and now the macbook as well.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286

Would i recommend it? Not if you are doing all day video editing or large document Adobe apps work. Just my instincts talking though. Go the dual screen my friend...
    iMac C2Duo, MacBook Pro C2Duo, iPhone 3Gs
    Tradies : applecollector / thatfilthyspringbok / decryption / mwot / c3017474 / wowbagger / squozen / jarrodb / jaysee