Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fompsweeva &#064; May 20 2006, 08&#58;50 PM) [snapback]174039[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, you could... but you&#39;d need a female DVI to female DVI adaptor as well, &#39;cause you&#39;d be trying to connect two male DVI connectors together.
    [/b]
    ? The DVI bit from the mini-DVI to DVI is female.
    Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Unibody goodness
    20 Inch Cinema Display
    8Gb 3G iPhone, 3rd gen iPod Nano 4Gb, 3rd gen U2 ipod 20Gb

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dolbinau &#064; May 20 2006, 11&#58;33 AM) [snapback]173932[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTdTdTELZj4

Video of Vista with &#39;AERO&#39; Running with a GMA 950. &#33;
    [/b]
    WHAT A BLATANT RIP-OFF, it&#39;s still the same windows underneath.

Firstly, that&#39;s way OT. Secondly - the whole switching windows thing was actually a windows thing first I think. OSX copied windows for Command-Tab (correct me if I&#39;m wrong).

Don&#39;t be a fanboy. It makes all mac users look like fanatics. Yeah windows shits me in 101 different ways, but that doesn&#39;t mean that I shouldn&#39;t be reasonable.
    "The need is not for, say, half a million -inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million -inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com

I was refering to the general look & expose-ish feature

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ozi &#064; May 18 2006, 10&#58;23 PM) [snapback]173427[/snapback]</div>
    Come in and say hi, guys. We are opposite Federation Square, next to St Pauls Cathedral, and 2.36 seconds walk from Flinders St station.
    [/b]
    I dropped in for 5 mins an hour ago... I didn&#39;t know your real name so I just had a quick look at the MB then left. I&#39;m shy.

I love everything about the MB except the screen. Seeing it in real life confirmed that the glare is an issue for those of us who think it might be an issue.

Maglatch is hot though, and the overall machine is a killer. I&#39;ve already recommended it to my brother (or one of iSlayer&#39;s second hand iMacs).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marc &#064; May 25 2006, 04&#58;22 PM) [snapback]175772[/snapback]</div>
    I love everything about the MB except the screen. Seeing it in real life confirmed that the glare is an issue for those of us who think it might be an issue.
    [/b]
    That worries me too, though bear in mind that shops often have large windows with light streaming in from the street AND a lot of overhead fluorescent lighting. It&#39;s probably the worst lighting environment.

Using it at home would be much different.

And I figure I&#39;ve managed just fine with both my iPod and PSP screens, both of which are glossy...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dotmike &#064; May 25 2006, 04&#58;32 PM) [snapback]175776[/snapback]</div>
    That worries me too, though bear in mind that shops often have large windows with light streaming in from the street AND a lot of overhead fluorescent lighting. It&#39;s probably the worst lighting environment.
    [/b]
    I think I&#39;ll just grab one of those anti-glare screens to cover it with. Hopefully that will work.

why not get some of them fancy &#39;antiglare&#39; sunglasses that people wear when fishing to see through the water..?
    .sig

gringo those "fancy &#39;antiglare&#39; sunglasses" have polarized lens LCD&#39;s put out polarized light, so every-time you tilt you head the brightness of the screen will change not counting the fact that the tint of the glasses themselves will make the screen darker.
    "The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse'. There is no evidence that people want to use these things."
    John C. Dvorak in the San Francisco Examiner, February 1984

killjoy.
    .sig

I&#39;m just going to redirect an asteroid so that it hits the earth, causing a massive dust storm that will block the sun&#39;s light. Then, and only then, will I be able to enjoy glare-free computing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marc &#064; May 25 2006, 04&#58;22 PM) [snapback]175772[/snapback]</div>
    I dropped in for 5 mins an hour ago... I didn&#39;t know your real name so I just had a quick look at the MB then left. I&#39;m shy.

Maglatch is hot though, and the overall machine is a killer. I&#39;ve already recommended it to my brother (or one of iSlayer&#39;s second hand iMacs).
    [/b]

My name is yours, I suspect. Mark. :P I am kinda flattered that a real life widget maestro was in my store...

We now have a white and a black, and I love the black and would actually fork out the extra &#036;210 for it. That sounds stupid, even to me, but it looks gorgeous, and hass to be seen.

Kinda like the black of the pismo/lomard powerbooks of olde times, with a similar striking white glowing apple on black look.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marc &#064; May 25 2006, 10&#58;46 PM) [snapback]175772[/snapback]</div>
    I&#39;m just going to redirect an asteroid so that it hits the earth, causing a massive dust storm that will block the sun&#39;s light. Then, and only then, will I be able to enjoy glare-free computing.[/b]
    And then some prick will turn on his torch...
    1.0Ghz 15" TiBook, MBP 13" 2.4/4/256, MBA 13" 2013 1.7/8/128 SSD, 1st Gen 5GB iPod (mint condition), 2nd Gen 10GB iPod, iPod video, nano and shuffle, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Burnsy &#064; May 17 2006, 01&#58;09 PM) [snapback]172846[/snapback]</div>
    Question: Is it a DL SuperDrive? On Apple Tech Specs it is misleading. It says "Slot-loading SuperDrive with double-layer read support (DVD+R DL/DVDRW/CD-RW)" What tha??

It says read support and then they specify DVD+R DL. Anyone confirm that it is a DL SuperDrive.

Thanks
    [/b]
    Very misleading ... the tech specs for the 1.83 MBP said the same thing. Not reading carefully enough, I thought I was getting a DL writing drive.

However, when my MBP *finally* arrived, iDVD, Disk Utility, System Profiler etc. did not seem to allow DL writing.

Very misleading, as I&#39;ve NEVER had a DVD drive that couldn&#39;t read dual-layer discs&#33;

So I&#39;m pretty sure the MacBook will not burn 2 layers.

PS: Although my SuperDrive worked fine reading DVDs, after I had installed all my software and SW updates and transferred my home directory, I found that the drive wouldn&#39;t read over half of my audio CDs&#33; (some were brand new, they *all* worked on my 12" PB). So after some haggling, Apple is replacing it with a new 2GHz model.
    Successful trades:
    sold Final Cut Express to Silver.
    bought a random PC serial cable from Simo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonargall &#064; May 26 2006, 10&#58;03 AM) [snapback]176019[/snapback]</div>
    Very misleading, as I&#39;ve NEVER had a DVD drive that couldn&#39;t read dual-layer discs&#33;
    [/b]
    I agree it was misleading to include DL in there, but I have had an older DVD drive that didn&#39;t seem to read self-burnt Dual Layer discs.

I found that out when I burnt a backup of the iLife 06 install discs (I like to keep the originals not used too much in case they fail a few years later).

The old drive wold read the original, but not my DVD+R DL disc (maybe because it was +). A newer drive read it fine.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14