Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Well I don't want the damn cube version. Better go talk to the guys at EB and get that changed over. haha.
    garethtownsend.info

Melbourne Cocoaheads! - we're cuckoo for cocoa apps!

Yep, sure can. I chucked $50 on the machine the day the name was announced at EB Hobart down here in Tas. Since they all update at the same time, it would be logical that you could pre-order in any EB around the country.

I am still tipping a release in the July/August window, just because a lot of those Wii games looked very finished and the consoles have gone into mass production (NEC has at least started making huge amounts of chips for the machines).

Donkey Kong Country will still be coming out on Virtual Console, but Micro$oft or Rare (one of the two) confirmed no Goldeneye for us.

Its good to see so much interest! This time last year Revolution was basically the laughing stock of E3, and now look at it! But the same thing happened with DS, there was no way that could stand up to PSP, and look where that race ended up.

Ark
    If it is hidden, it is the flower - Zeami, Noh playwright

I usually buy right on the day its released (Super Nintendo, N64,Cube)

As much as i love Nintendo, i along with a lot of people, got burned on the Cube.

Will decide a bit closer to the release date i guess and will watch the Japanese, USA and UK release's closely.

al

Im looking forward to how the Wii and the DS are going to interact with each other...
    There is a whole world of possibilities there!

the countdown says 5 months. so we're looking at somewhere in november? same time PS3 will be released.

hoping for $349. but $399 seems more like Australian retailers.
    "Don't these talking monkeys know that Eden has enough to go around?" - Maynard

Starscream Guest

If you do a view source of the coutdown page, the javascript is making the counter count down to November the 1st...

"As much as i love Nintendo, i along with a lot of people, got burned on the Cube."

Hey, Al Aero, what's wrong with the cube?
    It's not the years; it's the mileage...

Reports are rapidly mounting up claiming that Wii will sell for US$200, which means a $350 price point is quite realistic, and if we're really good this year, we might even get it for $300. I'm putting faith in the $300 price point, but bidgeting for $400. I doubt it'll exceed $400, especially with what Iwata has been saying about saving consumers money.
    EB is already listing Wii games at the (optomistic - lol) price of US$59.95, but Iwata is seemingly dead against that price point, saying that charging that much for games is practically highway robbery (not his words, btw). He wants to see more 'budget' priced games to entice non gamers, I'd really put money on Nintendo starting a trend by positioning their first party titles at the next gap down, in the US$39.95 (AU$79.95) for premier titles and the obligatory US$25 (AU$50) for budget games, maybe even dropping that to US$20 (AU$39.95). Don't count on that, but it works into Nintendo's next gen strategy. And it'll shaft the two other big next gens (which, side by side with Wii, are literally huge) since the price gap here is Australia at the very least will be $40. Thats a big gap for new release titles, regardless of how many pixels they run in. Particularly in my household, my friend pays through the ass for Xbox 360 hardware and sortware, and plays it in standard def on a tiny TV, 15" or something, really small. Waste of power right there. I want a HD tv by the end of the year, but until SED replaces LCD and Plasma I'm not motivated to buy a very good one, and I also want the standards to be adhered to a little more strictly (HD TV resolutions are all over the place). Iwata listed this as another one of the reasons Nintendo didn't use HD, because although there are standards set for HD, the TV manufacturers don't seem to adhere to them at all and they aren't easily detectable through current set ups, so consumers need to know the settings that apply to their TV, etc. Wii was supposed to be all about the simplicity and ease of use.

Well, rather than rant about how I want an SED TV and the etc that is attached to that, I'll shut it. I have to join hogscape in his plea though, what is wrong with Cube Al Aero? It may have had huge gaps between good first party game releases and fading 3rd party developer support (nice how the Q-fund dissapeared and they did too). Cube may have had its shortcomings, but I now see it more as a necessary, yet weakly supported stepping stone that was leading to this generation. It was Yamauchi-san's last legacy, a paving stone to Iwata's Nintendo.

Arkhum
    If it is hidden, it is the flower - Zeami, Noh playwright

I thought it was going to be crap untill I saw video of the unit in action.

I was always a massive nintendo fan growing up with nes/snes. My love waned with n64 compared to playstation and died when I moved to xbox. This unit looks like it will bring me back!

Speaking of things nintendo, isn't that DS lite coming out real soon?, i really want to play the new mario world and zelda.

yep, ds lite out on thursday. i'll be picking one during my lunchbreak me-thinks

I'm just hangin' out for a Wii. Can't.. wait...

h34r:

i'll probably hold out for a couple of months before purchasing a wii, not because i wouldn't be bent on buying one, just playing on the catious side of life.

I love the concept of the controllers though and i think nintendo have found a great way to resolve the interface problem most gaming companies find with the general public, as of far, i'm finding it pretty hard to to find more than speculation on the actual "console specs and it's finalised capabilties, likewise with the PS3.
    I've read that the wii "might" allow for back dated games, such as the game cube and "possibly" nes and super nintendo, but like i said, that's probably just speculation at this stage.

Any word on the AU release date and $rrp ?
    www: robv.net | twitter: @robvnet

Its has been confirmed that the Wii will be backwards compatible with Gamecube games as well as having access to "Virual Console" an online games library of SNES, NES and SEGA games.

The specific release date is not yet known but Nintendo have said that it will be released in the 4th Quarter this year. Perrin Kaplan ( Nintendo Americas PR Person) also hinted at a simultaneous world wide release during an E3 interview and she made a point of mentioning Australia as apart of that.

Rumours suggest an early November release (they'll wanna get in before Sony releases their insanly prices PS3 in late Nov)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Al Aero &#064; May 15 2006, 10&#58;06 PM) [snapback]172235[/snapback]</div>
    As much as i love Nintendo, i along with a lot of people, got burned on the Cube.
    [/b]
    I hear ya.

I got badly burned with the Cube, so much so that I thiunk I&#39;m gonna buy an XBox360 when the prices drop a little.

RIP Nintendo.

Probably will decide closer to the release date.

Toys "R" Us are offering a special promotion on the Nintendo Wii at the moment&#33;

Place a &#036;50 deposit on the Nintendo Wii and receive a free game at launch. On the site the launch date is listed as November 2006.

Cant wait&#33;

http://www.toysrus.com.au/site/default.htm

Adam.

I see they have the same offer for the PS3, also advertising a Nov 2006 release. Firstly how do they know it&#39;ll be released then when nothing official has been announced? Secondly will the free game be the buyer&#39;s choice or whatever junk they can offload?&#33;

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adamjc &#064; Jun 20 2006, 01&#58;49 PM) [snapback]186228[/snapback]</div>
    Toys "R" Us are offering a special promotion on the Nintendo Wii at the moment&#33;

Place a &#036;50 deposit on the Nintendo Wii and receive a free game at launch. On the site the launch date is listed as November 2006.

Cant wait&#33;

http://www.toysrus.com.au/site/default.htm

Adam.
    [/b]
    Placed a deposit for Pre-Order today...so can only wait now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adamjc &#064; Jul 4 2006, 07&#58;47 PM) [snapback]191814[/snapback]</div>
    Placed a deposit for Pre-Order today...so can only wait now.
    [/b]
    What&#39;s the deal with the free game - any launch title of your choice or from an assortment?

Also, does this mean its guaranteed before the end of Nov 2006?

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast