Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

I thought i might start a slightly different thred to my "MacBook Etching" one.

I just had another thought.... Insted of getting the laptop top Etched what about getting it laser cut?
    What i mean is buying a spare cover and having a design laser cut out of it.

The question is, does anyone know if the whole lid is back-lit? You know how the apple logo is illuminated. I think if i could have a great design cut out and litup it would look freakin amazing!!!

Presuming that the MacBook is the same inside the screen as the PowerBook, then yes, the whole screen is backlit.

I missed your original thread- what were you planning to do with the screen?

This is an email virus for Mac OS X. It works on the honor system. Please start deleting random files on your system and forward this message to everyone in your address book.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paxton &#064; May 1 2006, 12&#58;52 PM) [snapback]167771[/snapback]</div>
    Presuming that the MacBook is the same inside the screen as the PowerBook, then yes, the whole screen is backlit.
    I missed your original thread- what were you planning to do with the screen?
    [/b]

YEAH BABY&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Now i gotta come up with a damm new design again

This was what i was originaly going to do.....and still may depending.
    http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index...howtopic=19342

If anyone is interested i just got a quote to Laser cut the cover (with LOTS of detail) about &#036;40

use that design from the wallpaper and make it red and anodize the case black&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; if i won a MBP 15" i would do that
    "It&#39;s better to be a pirate than to join the Navy."

the way the apple logo is illuminated is from the excess backlighting from the LCD, which means that only that area with the logo is illuminated. plus you need the plasic bit aswell.
    Just Chillin.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ipod_man &#064; May 1 2006, 01&#58;50 PM) [snapback]167800[/snapback]</div>
    the way the apple logo is illuminated is from the excess backlighting from the LCD, which means that only that area with the logo is illuminated. plus you need the plasic bit aswell.
    [/b]
    But wouldn&#39;t the whole lid have "excess backlighting" ?

no it doesn&#39;t.............

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

www.macmate.com.au

Leader of: Apple General, Help! & iPods, iTMS & Accessories

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(macmate &#064; May 1 2006, 03&#58;08 PM) [snapback]167863[/snapback]</div>
    no it doesn&#39;t.............
    [/b]

Crap&#33; oh well, worth a shot. Looks like a nice etching will do.

+ what would you fill the gap in with??
    Mac Pro Dual Xeon 2.8GHz Quad, 6GB Ram, 128GB SSD+320GB+3x1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX285, Mac OS X 10.7
    My Flickr | Portfolio/Photoblog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mac_man_luke &#064; May 1 2006, 03&#58;57 PM) [snapback]167885[/snapback]</div>
    + what would you fill the gap in with??
    [/b]
    Well, i was thinking that there might have been the same white plastic under the whole cover.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nightbreed &#064; May 1 2006, 04&#58;52 PM) [snapback]167918[/snapback]</div>
    Well, i was thinking that there might have been the same white plastic under the whole cover.
    [/b]
    Unfortunately not - it&#39;s just the plastic white Apple logo and nothing else. In addition, the backlighting consists of two thin white cold cathode tubes positioned at the sides of the LCD, which illuminates the entire display.

I was going to post in your other thread Nightbreed but you do know that this will, without a doubt, void your warranty. You made a good point about this mod only being superficial but you&#39;ll have to take the LCD display apart to get it etched - which is of course something that&#39;s not user-servicable, and it has to be performed by an authorised tech. If something goes wrong and you have to take the machine back, expect very little empathy from your Apple store (unless it&#39;s someone cool like macmate, who seems all for it&#33.

It&#39;d be a beautiful thing to see though - I&#39;d consider doing it on an older machine still, such as a Titanium G4 Powerbook.

Also, the costs of computer milling is exorbitant (and you&#39;ll have to provide a very detailed CAD image) so I&#39;d go with the original place you found that hand etches it for ~ &#036;100.

Sorry to rain on your parade - but all this has to be said

JB

Have a look at the mods on macmods.com to see what the inside of the case looks like.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Byrd &#064; May 1 2006, 06&#58;29 PM) [snapback]168001[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately not - it&#39;s just the plastic white Apple logo and nothing else. In addition, the backlighting consists of two thin white cold cathode tubes positioned at the sides of the LCD, which illuminates the entire display.

I was going to post in your other thread Nightbreed but you do know that this will, without a doubt, void your warranty. You made a good point about this mod only being superficial but you&#39;ll have to take the LCD display apart to get it etched - which is of course something that&#39;s not user-servicable, and it has to be performed by an authorised tech. If something goes wrong and you have to take the machine back, expect very little empathy from your Apple store (unless it&#39;s someone cool like macmate, who seems all for it&#33.

It&#39;d be a beautiful thing to see though - I&#39;d consider doing it on an older machine still, such as a Titanium G4 Powerbook.

Also, the costs of computer milling is exorbitant (and you&#39;ll have to provide a very detailed CAD image) so I&#39;d go with the original place you found that hand etches it for ~ &#036;100.

Sorry to rain on your parade - but all this has to be said

JB
    [/b]
    There is an option that somone mentioned in my other thread. Im going to buy a spare MacBook outer shell. Get it etched and have an apple service agent install it where i buy it from. Ill get it indstalled right out of the box by the approved apple agent. That should work.