Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Well, the purists will be rocking in their shoes . . . Two weeks ago I bought an electric bicycle! Not for going bush or long distance, but for getting me around and carrying shopping with a little bit more ease than my other bike.

The 200W, 36 volt rotary motor is in the rear wheel with a safety drum brake, and the bike has a top speed of just 24kph with up to 40 kilometres range. It is a long bike because of the large and heavy sealed lead acid battery compartment, but is surprisingly easy to pedal with its six gears. Pedalling doesn't charge the 3 batteries, that has to be done plugged into a power point, but at least it will continue to give me exercise when I don't need to use the motor.

The handlebars have a motor scooter type console with a large speedometer and battery indicator, large light, electric horn, and electric indicators back and front. There are also two rear vision mirrors. Even without extras and shopping, the bike weighs 36 kilograms, so I've had to make a ramp (from two bookshelf planks) to help me up the front steps. As Disko knows I've kept my other bike in the sunroom, so this one lives there as well now.

To-day I bought a 22 inch (56 cm) black and yellow Stanley toolbox to bolt onto the long rear carrier, and with the tray taken out, it will be my new boot, and of course lockable. I think I still have a spare Apple sticker which I can put on the back as I did with the boot of my other bike.

The bicycle is incredible striking in brilliant blue, and attracts attention wherever it's parked, and looks much more dramatic in the flesh than in a photograph. Police and ambulance officers who were called to the house on Wednesday last week (when a taxi driver was unable to raise me for his regular pick up) were quite impressed, but because I've been in the cardiac ward of the Royal Adelaide Hospital since then, I haven't had much opportunity to ride the bike more than three times. Hopefully tomorrow.

When I've had the Stanley Box fixed to the carrier I'll take a photograph, and perhaps if I email it to someone, it can be posted on AppleTalk. I've never been able to post a photograph myself.
    Thinking about what next to think about . . . . . . . . .
    24" iMac: 15" iMac G4 "lampshade" 12" Performa 580

Hi Georgina

Ill be happy to help you post a pic - char@greenbanana.com.au

I hope you are doing well.. cardiac ward doesnt sound like much fun

((hugs))

Char xx
    (not a bike fan herself)
    MacBook, iMac, iTouch
    Trades: landog, HDK, BiRDBRAiN, macdave, Mac Ram
    MacTalk Kiva Lending Team!

disgust Guest

you try one of these
    electric bikes

I'm a keen (sometimes mad) MTB rider! As are a lot of my friends. We live in the country, and right behind our place there's state forest, and half an hour away there's a great riding spot that we'll go and spend the day riding in pine forest, nice downhill runs, water bars (we get some good air time!) and at the end of a hard ride we go and cool off at a natural pool at the base of a waterfall.

Anyway, here's a pic of my bike. It's a Giant AC.

http://samuelclarke.com
    Successful trades: iSlayer, aequitas, James, froggy, loc04t, MightyAtom, macintoshix, areal, therevenge, Razer, clockwork, chrissara, bartron and garrymacdonald

Nice ride
    Alu iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo / iPod Touch 16gb / iPod 3G 20gb
    MBP 2.5ghz Core 2 Duo

Disgust . . . you're almost right, mine is brilliant blue and currently has my old Flinger "boot" on the back, but it will be far more effective with the new extension. Stay tuned.

http://electricbicycle.com.au/pages/cruiserpic.htm

Thanks Greeenbanana, I shall take up your offer as soon as I've had the extra feature fitted and photographed it all.

ps. The cardiac ward wasn't too bad actually, lots of monitors beeping, good company, helicopters landing on the roof every night with new patients for the hospital, and the food was pretty good. They eventually moved me into another ward and that was a different kettle of fish, it was a disgrace for a medical ward, I walked out the next morning in my dressing gown, and went straight to the patient advisor's office. I was brought home by taxi and given home support instead.

Originally posted by disgust@Apr 22 2006, 01:14 AM
    motorbikes..2 wheeled bogans. Sorry i resent the fact i can be in the bush on my MTB and come across the sound of a lawn mower. Each to their own.
    Do you get out of the wrong side of bed every single day? All you do is bitch and moan. Seriously... smile once in a while.
    'Always' and 'never' are the two words you should always remember never to use.

Yep I'm out on the road every day on my Trek 1400!

Cycling is by far the best way to get some fresh air and discover things you would normally ignore while driving on by in your car. With the weather turning as quickly as it has down south though I need a little more encouragement and motivation to get out and tackle the arctic southerlys. Three or four layers of clothing also helps.
    Macbook Pro 2.53 i5 | Mac Mini Core 2 Duo | 16GB iPhone 3G | PM G5 DP 1.8 | PB G4 1.5 | PM G3 400 | 20GB 3G iPod | 4GB iPod Mini

hoony's Avatar hoony is offline I reject your reality and substitute my own.

My commuting bike isn't so hard core and I've had it for years now, a Nishiki Eliminator with an apple sticker
    Insert witty comment here.

See, you can trust me.

I just picked up an 05 Cannondale F400 here in Canadada for CX and multi-day rides (road and trail). It is pretty sweet!

http://cannondale.com/bikes/05/CUSA/large/5fs4red.jpg

i have a 99 Giant ATX series back in oz - still kicking and mainly used for the 15km commute from my house to work, or the odd 50km + ride every week or so. I think the 'dale will be heading back with me.

Riding is an amazing way to chill and relax (when not surfing) - cars/driving are so stressful.

I am all for the lids. I came of the bike last year and landed head first on my two-week-old one. It either saved my life or stopped me having a life in a chair. I had slurred speech for about 3-days. The noise the helmet made when it hit the groud really scared me. What freaks me out in Canada is that once you turn 18 it is not illegal to ride without a helmet - personal choice apprarently!

I also have a 'lawnmowers in the bush' sentiment- - the same applies to backcountry snowboarding - snowmobiles make so much disturbing noise...

I'm a keen cyclist (having raced for my years). Currently down to two bikes. Old Giant CFR1 running Campy chorus and for touring/commuting have a Dahon folding bike,

Georgina's Fabulous Bike

"Well, here's my new elongated electric bicycle, and with the lockable
    box on the back yet to be bolted in place, and a U-shaped locking
    device also yet to be fitted, it will weight 40 kilograms . . . even
    before the box is loaded with my usual odds and ends and shopping!
    Maximum speed from the rear wheel hub motor is 24 kph, with a battery
    range of 40 kilometres.

As previously mentioned it has electric indicators (which beep), an
    electric horn, speedometer, battery level indicator, and 6 gears."
    MacBook, iMac, iTouch
    Trades: landog, HDK, BiRDBRAiN, macdave, Mac Ram
    MacTalk Kiva Lending Team!

Good Stuff, Georgina.
    I haven't riden for a while. Used to ride to work from Hawthorn to Clayton most mornings. Nice ride, mostly bike track. Since I moved out to the 'burbs I haven't ridden to work anymore. It's about 25k, and includes Wheelers Hill (which kills me to think about).
    I have been thinking about that same bike, Georgina, but my wifes not been to happy about me riding in traffic since she came off her bike in the middle of the Flinders+Exhibition street corner, getting a nasty spiral fracture in her finger that has never been the same since....
    .sig

shit greenBanana, 40kilos for a bike! my downhill bike comes in at 20.1Kgs and thats considered heavy, and its tougher than a brick crap house.

ill post pics later when im not stuck on dialup....

W2ttsy

Many thanks to GreenBanana for posting the photograph of my new bike.

I agree with W2ttsy that 40 kilograms is heavy (the basic bike is 36 kilograms), and it's why I've had to make a ramp to bring it up my front steps. I've found that if I use the motor a touch (but not too much in case the bike shoots through the house by itself&#33, I don't have the struggle of pushing it. I believe the battery section alone weighs 13 kilograms.

Unfortunately having been in the cardiac ward of a hospital for a week and remaining unwell, I'm not able to ride the bike at the moment. I bought it nearly 3 weeks ago and have ridden it just four times, all very frustrating.

if you are having cardiac issues, then try swimming. it is a great way to strengthen the heart, and unlike riding a bike, if you cant go on cos its straining your body too much, you can just get out and go home without having to ride the return journey.

here is my bike

and

W2ttsy

Whoa! I want one :drool:
    Alu iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo / iPod Touch 16gb / iPod 3G 20gb
    MBP 2.5ghz Core 2 Duo

Some very nice rides here! I will post my "Bike Settup" when I get home.

I have a Giant XTC, with Deore XT everything, Manitou Mars forks: Air one side, Coil the other and oil dampning, as well as a nice Selle san Marco seat and nice easton components. It does mud well.
    1.0Ghz 15" TiBook, MBP 13" 2.4/4/256, MBA 13" 2013 1.7/8/128 SSD, 1st Gen 5GB iPod (mint condition), 2nd Gen 10GB iPod, iPod video, nano and shuffle, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB

Well damn!!! Thought I'd seen that name before. Hi W2ttsy.
    Grrrr, Arrrrghhh!!!
    http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8259491826/photos
    My Photo Gallery

I reckon everyone needs one of these on their bike. :P

It makes this sound

http://www.adam.com.au/mjankor/honkahorn.mp3

There's nothing better to annoy anyone in your immediate vicinity. Just use it far more often than required.

Look W2ttsy, they even come in black. Blingtastic I tell you, Blingtastic!!!
    Grrrr, Arrrrghhh!!!
    http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8259491826/photos
    My Photo Gallery

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast