Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who!

I loved the doco on the dvd for The Leisure Hive that talked about the things JNT was determined to change (ditch K9, revamp the theme, etc) - I don't recal the Sonic Screwdriver being among them. Mind you, RTD has said that he reintroduced the Sonic so that a locked door wouldn't slow down a plot of global domination (to paraphrase rather liberally).

John Leeson will no doubt be in fine form after doing the two seasons of Big Finish's Gallifrey series...

And yes, the 40-odd minutes is such a short space of time to do anything meaningful; last seasons The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances showed that two parters can be done with resounding success.
    http://www.lilformers.com/home.php - my favoritist webcomic at this exact moment.

There's 3 two-parters this series. There's Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel, the Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit and Army of Ghosts/Doomsday.

Originally posted by Currawong@Apr 18 2006, 12:34 PM
    I keep getting the feeling, just after watching the Xmas Invasion, that the episodes start out really well, but die towards the end.
    Imho, the original series had a tendency to get bogged down in the middle (see many early seven part and later six part stories from the Pertwee Years).
    http://www.lilformers.com/home.php - my favoritist webcomic at this exact moment.

Originally posted by Currawong@Apr 18 2006, 12:34 PM
    I keep getting the feeling, just after watching the Xmas Invasion, that the episodes start out really well, but die towards the end. Maybe it's just too laughably easy for the Doctor to defeat the aliens sometimes. There's not enough of the real terror of the old DW and the characters are all painfully shallow. Mind you, it's hard not to say that about the old series sometimes.
    I've always found RTD was really good at characters (rather than plots - I felt the best of the last series was written by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffet). I think it does have the "terror" factor of the classic series, you're probably just getting old is all. Certainly I thought that The Unquiet Dead and Empty Child/The Doctor Dances did scary fairly well.

Originally posted by Jolyon@Apr 18 2006, 01:04 PM
    Certainly I thought that The Unquiet Dead and Empty Child/The Doctor Dances did scary fairly well.
    Interesting that they were the period pieces from Series One - the natural born gift of the BBC. This would seem to bode well for Tooth & Claw...

I'll be out of the country after School Reunion, so I'll miss the Cybermen story I can't wait to see whether - like 'Dalek' in Series One - it pays homage to the audio that came before it (Jubilee -> Dalek, Spare Parts -> RotC?)

Originally posted by gmask1@Apr 18 2006, 02:02 PM
    Imho, the original series had a tendency to get bogged down in the middle (see many early seven part and later six part stories from the Pertwee Years).
    That's because you had to follow the 'capture, escape re-capture, escape' plot. Which meant having a lot of corridors. The six parters also usually involved a four-part story with two tacked on for a villain who suddenly appeared at the end of episode four. Despite that my favourite was season 7 (Pertwee's first) which contained three seven-parters.
    Pass the crystal, spread the Tarot, in illusion comfort lies

http://www.mistfall.com/

Originally posted by Graham@Apr 18 2006, 01:59 PM
    Despite that my favourite was season 7 (Pertwee's first) which contained three seven-parters.
    With Inferno coming out on dvd soon, I'll be able to watch it for the first time. This is one of those stories that by all accounts made full use of it's length. Silurians was ok but padded, Ambassadors was too darn slow. If Inferno is as good as everyone thinks, it will be one of those seasons with fantastic bookends.

Two stories that spring to mind as being long and worth every minute sadly only exist on audio - Marco Polo, and The Daleks' Masterplan.

The Dalek Masterplan was worth every minute? All 5 hours? Aye carrumba!

There weren't really many stories that had a new villain tacked on near the end... Invasion of Time is the only one I can think of. Of course, we have the Master making appearances here and there, with his revelation near the end... but not just appearing out of no where.

I'm glad that they are doing more 2 parters this season. It's a pet hate of mine with Stargate in particular, where you feel like you've joined the story half way through, and then 3 seconds after the climax the story ends. I don't mean they should dwell on things, but 80 minutes gives time to pace things nicer.

My grand WHO plan (I'm waiting for 2020 now...) would have all 2 parters, except the odd 3 or 1 part stories each season. I'm waiting to see if RTD does a Dalek/Cyber conflict, maybe in season 3 (which if he does would have followed my plan to a T).

EDIT: Oh - and Inferno is great! But honest - watch it episode by episode at least over 1 week... It just helps keep the excitement.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Originally posted by cosmichobo@Apr 18 2006, 04:52 PM
    There weren't really many stories that had a new villain tacked on near the end... Invasion of Time is the only one I can think of. Of course, we have the Master making appearances here and there, with his revelation near the end... but not just appearing out of no where.
    'Colony in Space' and 'Frontier in Space' spring to mind. In both cases the story would have been far better had the last two episodes been chopped. In most of these type of stories it is the Master suddenly appearing for no obvious reason other than to have a two episode coda.

And the reason I'd forgotten about 'Invasion of Time' was that I'd been trying very hard to :P

Off Topic from the new series... For the first time I just saw something that had first offered so much hope, then frustration for not living in the UK...

Dimensions in Time... the 20 or so minute multi Doctor special for "Kids in Need" (or whatever the fundraiser was).

So, the story is crap, but god how nice to see so many familiar faces popping up everywhere... Jon Pertwee especially...

And to think they were *that* close to having actually produced a proper 30th anniversary movie and instead only got DIT...
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Flipped channels on.. Thurs morning and what did I see... An array of pinball machines being shown off on KerriAnne... and in the middle - the Doctor Who pinball machine!

Was SO tempted to go for one of them rather than a pool table...

The Barcelona of The Southern Hemisphere (a.k.a Adelaide)

so, any word on when (if) the ABC will be broadcasting these in Australia?
    Just another insomniac in the land of the narcoleptic.
    ---
    //c, SE/30, Powerbook 160, MP2100, MacBook 2006, iMac Core 2 Duo 2010

They're official answer is "Check the guide..."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Currawong &#064; Apr 18 2006, 12&#58;04 PM) [snapback]163691[/snapback]</div>
    I keep getting the feeling, just after watching the Xmas Invasion, that the episodes start out really well, but die towards the end. Maybe it&#39;s just too laughably easy for the Doctor to defeat the aliens sometimes. There&#39;s not enough of the real terror of the old DW and the characters are all painfully shallow. Mind you, it&#39;s hard not to say that about the old series sometimes.
    [/b]
    Currawong is right. However its more drama based now instead of just a serial (I mean the orginals are half an hour this is an hour).

But word is more things are going to come back around to bite the dr. People hez left leave alive etc

Word is more daleks etc. And we&#39;re right in the middle of a two parter for the cybermen

Anyhone know if the Season 2 Dr Who will ever be shown here in OZ? (including the Christmas special).

From what I have read on the net, the new Dr is better than Eccleston, which is great as Ecclieston was awesome.
    Dual G5 1.8
    iBook 1Ghz
    All wireless and wonderful...
    Just what all MCSE&#39;s need :-)

dopus Dont know about better than Eccleston he is a different Doctor then Eccleston but I think they where/are both good as the Doctor but as with each of his regenerations he is different.
    "The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse'. There is no evidence that people want to use these things."
    John C. Dvorak in the San Francisco Examiner, February 1984

I&#39;m enjoying the new Doctor&#33;

Now just need to get rid of Rose&#33;
    [edit: runs to hide]
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dopus &#064; May 15 2006, 05&#58;00 PM) [snapback]172097[/snapback]</div>
    Anyhone know if the Season 2 Dr Who will ever be shown here in OZ? (including the Christmas special).[/b]
    The answer is &#39;probably this year&#39;. Of course you could buy the discs as the early episodes of this season have already been released in the UK (not sure about here).

I believe some people may have seen it here on Channel BT h34r:

dopus - The ABC do have the rights to Season 2 (+ Xmas Sp) but no comment on when they&#39;ll air it yet.

Last year they started part way through the UK&#39;s screening... but they&#39;re already about 5-6 stories in now, and no word yet...

Graham - The ABC wont let the DVDs go on sale here until they have aired here... And buying UK dvds is only a viable option if your income is over &#036;100,000... or if you&#39;re a nerd with no family commitments... (Ah the good old days...)

As for BT... dammit... SOOO could do that now I have 36Gb/month but I&#39;m resisting...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DJY &#064; May 15 2006, 05&#58;47 PM) [snapback]172106[/snapback]</div>
    Now just need to get rid of Rose&#33;[/b]
    Possible Spoilers

No they don&#39;t, they need to keep Rose forever and bring back Captain Jack. I suspect Captain Jack will be sent directly to Torchwood and we won&#39;t see him. The current storyline with Rose&#39;s homesickness is probably being setup as an exit for Rose. Mickey also has to leave for Torchwood at some point.

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast