Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Originally posted by someonestolecc@Feb 3 2005, 02:54 PM
    Wow.. what a joke.

As a prospective mac buyer (i was going to put an order down on a g4 powerbook) should I be worried?

I don't want to experience this kinda crap.

Also is buying it from apple mean you then deal with apple and does buying from a reseller mean then you deal with a reseller?

Or is the support network all the same?
    I read the same extensive post before buying my 15 inch PowerBook just before christmas... It had me concerned aswell, but in the end, this could happen with any product you buy - Mac, PC or otherwise. For the most part it seems Apple are reliable, and in my view pipsqeek was just the victim of an unfortunate set of circumstances.

Bite the bullet and buy a Mac!! I don't think you'll be disappointed

I bought from an "Apple Centre". I'm not too sure of the difference between them and an Apple reseller as such (think these guys sell other brands etc also). Have had good service from them all the way through - they even installed upgraded RAM in an iMac for me at no charge. Mind you, I would have been pissed off if they had wanted to charge me, having bought two Macs from them within a month! My personal preference was to buy from the Apple Centre as opposed to somewhere such as Myer, who I doubt would have the same expertise, or place as much value in their "Mac customers", as say an Apple Centre should.

On a slightly side note to your other post, you might be able to get a G4 PowerBook at a reduced rate now... I have a G4 15inch w/Superdrive, and rate it very highly!

Cheers

Gerard
    Pain is temporary. Quiting lasts forever.

I have 24 x 12 inch iBooks at my school which are used all day / every day.

They are charged twice a day and are carted from room to room in laptop bags as our campus is up and down and all over the place and we can't use a trolley.

I have everything from G3 700's to the newest G4's.

They all run off our wireless network (6 x airport extreme basestations).

I have only had a couple of repairs on the whole lot of them.

1 logic board on a G3
    1 broken aerial on a G3
    1 faulty battery on a G3

and that's it from 24 computers.

The G4's seem generally more robust than the G3's but I have had most of the G3's for 2 years and they get flogged (loved but flogged) by constant classroom use. All years levels from 1-7 use them and a couple have survived being dropped.

I am really pleased with the iBooks I have and their reliability as I don't think any iBook would work harder than those in a school.

It's really sad to hear about someone who for some reason scores a lemon as it gives, what I consider to be a good product, a bad reputation / let alone being extremely frustating for the owner.

Regards

Paul
    iMac 27 inch 3.4 i7 32 GIG RAM / Macbook Pro C2D 2.33 / 32 GIG iPad 2 / 8 GIG Nano / 32 GIG iPod Touch
    Podcasts - Originz and Mysteries Abound

Red face

hi pipsqeek, have a look at my dispute with apple australia: http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=4543 , so far, 6 weeks, AND COUNTING... lol...

jaffa

So how is your Mac going now?

Adam.

well may i be the first to congratulate you!
    Finally they did something!
    My Macs: MacBook Pro 17", Powerbook Ti 867Mhz, Powermac 5500 Black, iBook G3 900Mhz, Powermac MDD, Powermac 8600 250Mhz, Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz Mac Mini, iMac G4 17" 1Ghz, eMac 1Ghz, eMac 800Mhz,
    AppleCollector Sales Service/Sales/Support/Trade In's

Originally posted by paulharrop@Feb 3 2005, 03:18 PM
    I have 24 x 12 inch iBooks at my school which are used all day / every day.

They are charged twice a day and are carted from room to room in laptop bags as our campus is up and down and all over the place and we can't use a trolley.

I have everything from G3 700's to the newest G4's.

They all run off our wireless network (6 x airport extreme basestations).

I have only had a couple of repairs on the whole lot of them.

1 logic board on a G3
    1 broken aerial on a G3
    1 faulty battery on a G3

and that's it from 24 computers.

The G4's seem generally more robust than the G3's but I have had most of the G3's for 2 years and they get flogged (loved but flogged) by constant classroom use. All years levels from 1-7 use them and a couple have survived being dropped.

I am really pleased with the iBooks I have and their reliability as I don't think any iBook would work harder than those in a school.

It's really sad to hear about someone who for some reason scores a lemon as it gives, what I consider to be a good product, a bad reputation / let alone being extremely frustating for the owner.
    On that note we have some 20 G3 12" ibooks here and a further 20 G4 12" as well here at the school where I work and they have pretty much peformed well as well - additionally a dozen eMacs and some powerbooks and stuff .. which are essentially in good shape. (Our Ibooks get used heavily and "heartily" as well - I suspect it's an education thing =) ).

In general they have all peformed as well as they should. Our "preferred" reseller is Computers Now in Crowy and they have been good to us as well .. so it's not all negative in Apple'land. Having said that, I'd take bets on the fact that the Consumer Relation person you spoke to Pipsquak will have their hands full =). It's not just the customers that are starting to get worried about Apple but also the resellers. Seems to go all the way down the chain from apple to the consumer.

On that note what is the legal position of recommending suppliers rather than being negative about the ones we should rather avoid ? Actually I am sitting in the wicked digital store as I write this and Steve's making a good point - Best Price or Support pick one of the two.

I'll always take Support over best price.

Being a Self employed network engineer. I provide excellent support to my clients. With each one usually telling me after the first consultation. Which is great. And the thing is... I usually tell them... I am not the cheapest.

But I think these people have been bitten by the same bug I had been bitten by... saving a few bucks and crossing town... just to spent the money you saved on petrol... and then spending more, because of bad service, having to drive back.. and forth... back and forth....

I mean... if I were to charge Apple for the driving time, cost of fuel, wear and tear of my vehicle... I'd walk out with a shiny new 30" Display. And that's not including the copious amounts of phone calls, numerous times a day, because someone couldn't be bothered calling back.. yet when you go there. they are sitting around, watching ripped DVD's on a 23" demo screen or cranking the soundsticks... oblivious to the phone ringing.

It paints a sad picture that is all too common.

From this experience I don't really trust any Mac resellers... as it has well and truly been the case of one bad apple spoiling the bunch. If I want a Mac... I prefer the 2nd hand market.

pipsqeek

btw... the new iBook is still running fine.
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru

well my sisters ibook suffered a logic board failure a few weeks ago.naturally i was a little worried about how long it would take and if the new one would work properly.

Well it took less then 1 week for them to get the logic board and install it and all has been perfect since.

Do iMacs have problems with their logic boards?

Or is it a portables issue only.

Originally posted by adamjc@May 20 2005, 10:37 AM
    Do iMacs have problems with their logic boards?

Or is it a portables issue only.
    any system can have problems.
    but it was the g3 ibooks that were the worst

iMac G5 Rev.A's (built in October/November 2004 have had massive problems with logic boards and bad power supplies - I've done a lot of research lately, and there are literally thousands of people out there with their iMac G5's in for repair of faulty logic boards - this could almost be worse than the iBook drama.

Pipsqeak - kudos, my friend - kudos!!! Wow, what an amazing story - you truly are an inspiration to the rest of us who hate to love Apple - your determination and persistence, all while keeping a cool head, should be adopted by the rest of us who have similar issues with Apple Customer Relations and our local AppleCentre. I have had similar problems myself (although nowhere near as drastic as your saga) and get the feeling things are going to get worse before they get better, so on my first iMac G5 logic board replacement (in the shop now for almost two weeks and no word), I've written a very long and firm letter to Apple Customer Relations. Haven't heard back from them. I believe they're ignoring me.

Little do they know that good folks like Pipsqueak inspire people like myself to get the balls up to go out there and fight the big corporate machine that Apple has become (ironically enough, the same big corporate machine they heckled in the infamous 1984 big brother ad) when their pathetic customer service (or lack thereof) doesn't live up to it's promises, let alone basic customer service expected of any business in the world. Hell, I've had better service and a whole lot more respect as a valued customer from the little deli across the road that I buy a $2 coffee and $3 sandwich from every day. The owner brings my coffee out to me if I'm standing outside, even though he doesn't have to!!! Then I look at Apple, who I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on over the past decade and they won't even reply to a letter.

It basically comes down to a lack of corporate responsibility. Big companies are often the worst offenders when it comes to both customer service and environmental responsibility. I don't know whether it's the numbers they have to deal with, or whether they simply ignore the little people because there's no money in it for them, but either way, it's just ignorant and shameful.

My personal opinion is that it all comes down to the almighty dollar - just read Pipsqueak's post and it's clear that Apple's policies are based on the same as any other big company - money, money, money - when you're that size, it all comes down to profits and losses.

Anyway, I've raved enough for now, but be assured, Pipsqueak - we're all rooting for you mate - keep up the good work and good luck with your new iBook - truly a well deserved upgrade - in fact, you should have received a 30inch display for all your trouble, just out of simple courtesy!

MacBook Unibody 13" | iPhone 5 32Gb | iPad 3 16GB | iPod Nano 6G | Airport Extreme | ATV2 Successful Trades: TomMelbourne | Mart | ajbeardy | Barticus | countmacula | mikinoz | Exocet | oddturtle | gmask1 | jeremywarnock | carlow1 | musky

MWHOAhahahahaha, the thread lives on.

It was brought to my attention that my 3 year extended Applecare that I got with the original machine was never transferred over to the replacement iBook(s).

I spent an hour on the phone with Apple yesterday trying to make them understand the story. I talked to 7 different people, until someone listened to me (a manager), figured out what dialect of English I was speaking and finally was able to miraculously find all the information they need to fix the problem.

I just thought I'd post an update of how things are going with the 14" iBook.

So far, all the characters on the keys are gone. Luckily, that's the only issue. I am amazed.

pips
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru

Good God what did u do to the keyboard of that ibook?
    So u now have warranty on the G4 iBook?
    My Macs: MacBook Pro 17", Powerbook Ti 867Mhz, Powermac 5500 Black, iBook G3 900Mhz, Powermac MDD, Powermac 8600 250Mhz, Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz Mac Mini, iMac G4 17" 1Ghz, eMac 1Ghz, eMac 800Mhz,
    AppleCollector Sales Service/Sales/Support/Trade In's

First thing I did when my wife got a new machine, was to make sure they updated the warranty info to reflect what day that machine was given to her and have warranty start from that day.

Even then it was difficult, but they did it.

the keyboard must be a problem with the g4&#39;s, as 1 of the 3 that my school received has the exact same problem. <_<

edit - and the teacher using it isnt setting any world records for 1 finger speed typing mind u&#33;
    C2D 2.16ghz Macbook Black, iPod Video 30GB Black 5G, iPod Nano Red 5G 16Gb, iPod Shuffle Black 4GB, 24in C2D iMac 2.4ghz, Time Capsule 500GB (dead), Airport Express 1G x 2, Airport Extreme, Apple TV, iPad 64GB 3G, iPhone 4, Apple TV 2

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8