Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

I have a Powerbook G3 FireWire 500MHz, and use it for travel. I am wondering, what would be the best way to playback DivX format movies with a minimum of stuttering. I've tried the official DivX player, but it results in awful, almost non-existant playback. My friend applecollector managed to play large DivX files on his B&W G3, but couldn't on his 500MHz iBook, which is faster. The mind boggles as to why...

So, if anyone could give me some pointers on improving the performance, it'd be much appreciated.

G3 Specs:

500MHz G3
    100MHz Bus
    1MB L2 Cache
    40GB HD (upgraded)
    768 MB RAM
    Quicktime 7.0.4

Also: have tried VLC player - didn't manage it...
    Current Macs: 2.2GHz MacBook Pro C2D I 2GHz MacBook C2D I
    Successful trades: [MREVO8]; macrob69; jerrah; simo; applecollector; tim; gpillans; alexc; lavo; chris; Brains; sexyshazam; tibook

you tried installing the divx codecs only and then adjusitng qucktime to play it with the mime types
    "It's better to be a pirate than to join the Navy."

Hey thats right tim.
    On the iBook i too have 7.0.4
    and the official dvix codec etc.. still nothing.
    On the B&W the specs are.

G3 350Mhz
    320Mb Ram
    80Gb 7200rpm Drive
    16Mb VRam
    Panther 10.3.9

it was a huge shock when i was able to play avi's without any issues.
    My Macs: MacBook Pro 17", Powerbook Ti 867Mhz, Powermac 5500 Black, iBook G3 900Mhz, Powermac MDD, Powermac 8600 250Mhz, Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz Mac Mini, iMac G4 17" 1Ghz, eMac 1Ghz, eMac 800Mhz,
    AppleCollector Sales Service/Sales/Support/Trade In's

VLC is your only bet - quit all other applications, including the Finder. I struggle to play 50% of frames on a Lombard PB@433Mhz, and your Pismo has AGP and 100Mhz bus, so it should *just* work with 640 x 3xx resolution DivX movies. Forget any higher resolution or DivX movies encoded with AC3 sound - performance will be bad.

Like applecollector I was surprised my B&W G3 400 could play DivX movies - I'm betting it's due to faster memory throughput, decent graphics card that offloads some processing from the CPU.

JB