Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hi

I have a few friends in the same situation as I am, where they have a broadband connection between a few computers and they said to get a 'net limiter' or 'bandwitdth controller' of some sort, they were on PCs so I have been looking around for a mac one but to no avail.
    Just wondering if there was some sort of controller of bandwitdth for mac.
    thanks heaps.

Carrafix is your friend.

edit: Macupdate search for 'bandwidth' brings up a few results as well.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

A hardware solution would be a router, router/firewall or managed switch which manages bandwidth. Draytek makes inexpensive routers that purport to manage bandwidth though I don't know how well they work. My dlink dfl 700 firewall/router manages bandwidth very effectively; however it's an expensive unit.

Software solutions on the mac are limited. There's Carrafix:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7028

And Throttled:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7570

Be sure to read the comments about Throttled;For example:

Hint/Tip by boli
    throttled does *not* work when apple's firewall is active.
    however, there is a way to make it work with BrickHouse (which - like the apple firewall GUI - also uses ipfw, the firewall built into Mac OS X).

I'm a little bit interested in this too (quite a bit actually). Are you after a limiter in terms of restricting actual data traffic totals or a throttle that limits throughput speed? I'm guessing you are referring to totals and want to shape traffic once each user has used their 'quota'. Whatever you find, get back to us with a few details about the application that you use.

Cheers, kim

Hey

Thannks heaps guys!
    im d/ling those 2 now and will tell you what i think
    cheers again

If you just need to tweek MTU settings, you can do this through System Preferences/Network/Ethernet. The default setting is 1500 but my broadband connection (Big Blue) works best at 1420-1430 MTU.
    'He who controls rhythm, controls.' John Lee Hooker

As mentioned you'd be better off using a centralised system if possible.
    Are you using a router or something similiar?
    Notebook: Apple 15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz (Penryn)

Oh yes. If I get what you're saying right - then I'm interested too. 4 macs and 1 PC here in my home office sharing 5 GB a month. I'd really like to allocate a share to each (or cripple the others when i'm working - the other being my kids and my work comes before their games).

If someone figures this out please post a step by step solution. I use a NetComm NB1300 router connected to a DLink 10/100 fast ethernet switch. All the firewalls are switched on in the Macs. Don't know about the PC - too scared to look at it.
    [ konni ... foot on mouse; keyboard in mouth ]

As to the hardware solution.. you want a device that supports something called (QoS - Quality of Service). This technology allows you to set certain protocols/services to have a certain level of service. ie. I want all my http/smtp/pop/imap traffic to get high level of service, as compared to say my torrent downloads etc.

Zyxel routers have it, but they call it MBM Media Bandwidth Management, although at the end of the day this is really QoS. I guess they couldn't say QoS due to some licensing problems.

QoS is good when configured correctly. It means your brother or sister (or house mate) leeching a file via ftp won't kill your bandwidth, and your mail and web surfing feels full speed if the rules are configured correctly.

Hey
    yeah we have a Netgear router and im connected through my airport extreme card upstairs so i dunno what that means but what i was thinking of was more like a program that would show me my programs i have running and options where I can limit the uploads and downloads so say if im d/ling or someone is u'ling from my bittorrent client then i can cap them so i can search on the net or just not go over our bandwitdth.

If that makes sence? haha
    Because i know there is a program for pc called &#39;net limiter&#39; and if everyone has something like that then we should be sweet <_< we hope hehe

but comeing back to carrafix and throttled, carrafix looks to be simple enough but im not understanding the &#39;port&#39; number area when i want to add a new program to the list, i looked up the help but it kind of assumes you know and mostly talks about carracho and hotline servers.

As for throttled.. it didnt seem to work or im just to dumb because it doesnt really have an interface. haha

Is there a way i can, or an app i can download, that will limit my incoming network traffic either on a whole or a specific port? what i want to do, is test my web-server at a speed that the public would use. it being on my private lan, i get like 20mb/sec from it and its not exactly the 3kb sec dial-up users would exp., so, yeah. i need it to limit down to about 2kb/sec if its possible...

Any ideas?
    Know me before you judge me...

depends on what kind of router ur using i guess - what model is it? I know my DLink has all kinds of funky options in the admin.

MacBook, iMac, iTouch
    Trades: landog, HDK, BiRDBRAiN, macdave, Mac Ram
    MacTalk Kiva Lending Team!

There are applications available from versiontracker for just that purpose. One called &#39;throttle&#39; springs to mind.

Well, something like this may be usefull for me. I am the house network administrator and my brother constantly downloads useless stuff. I dont care if he downloads I just hate it when our internet gets slowed down for the last week of the month because of my brothers stupidity. Then he says he still needs the net because of school work that he needs to complete. If only I could make it so that he got slowed down to dial-up speed after he reached a preset amount of incoming and outgoing data...

astr0b0y Guest

If your using Apache as a webserver you can limit traffic speeds in its config.