Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Good arvo

My daughter has "lost " the extensions necessary for her wallstreet pb to read floppies and CD's. They dont appear to be anywhere on the disc.

Apparently they are: Apple CD/DVD Driver Apple Photo Access Audio CD Access
    Foreign File Access ISO 9660 File Access UDF Volume Access

Is there somewhere that I can legally download these from? Or, do I need to sart from a CD and get them fom there? Or, do I need to save what I can through the network and re-install?

Talking of installing, is OS X a goer on the wallstreet. Ram is 192MB

Thanks

Tim R
    Come, sit beside me
    I said to myself
    and though it doesnt make sense
    As a small sign of trust
    I held my own hand
    and together I sat on the fence

You could try 10.2 but more ram would make the experience much better!!!! That being said I was running os x 10.3 on a B&W 450 with 128mb ram for months without a problem...As for os 9.2.2 I would recommend useing tome viewer to open up the installation tome file on the os 9 cd and extract the files you need!!!!
    Powermac G5 Dual 1.8GHZ, 6GB Ram, Geforce FX 5200, 80GB+250GB HDDs, Leopard 10.5.8
    Mac Mini (July '11) I5 2.3GHZ, 8GB Ram, Intel HD3000, 120GB SSD + 500GB HDD, Lion 10.7.3
    MacBook Air (July'11) I5 1.6GHZ 4GB Ram, Intel HD 3000, 120GB SSD, Lion 10.7.3

Thanks

I'm running out of ideas ...

I cant even start up from a 9.1CD by holding down the C key on restart. Does this mean the CD drive is stuffed, or is there something else going on?

Thanks again

Tim R
    Come, sit beside me
    I said to myself
    As a small sign of trust
    I held my own hand

Chances are that it is stuffed!!!
    Powermac G5 Dual 1.8GHZ, 6GB Ram, Geforce FX 5200, 80GB+250GB HDDs, Leopard 10.5.8
    Mac Mini (July '11) I5 2.3GHZ, 8GB Ram, Intel HD3000, 120GB SSD + 500GB HDD, Lion 10.7.3

I'd copy all her files, as well as the remains of the old system folder, just in case there are third party/non standard extensions that you want to keep and reinstall from a bootable install CD and then replace preferences,extra extensions and whatever else. Being OS 9.x it will need a machine specific install CD unless you have the commercial universal installer version. That said OS 9 is not that wonderful anymore and 10.1-10.3.x will run on the machine in question. It won't be a weapon but OS X is far nicer than OS 9.

kim

PS if you have a 9.0 installer only; all the updates, through to 9.2.2, are free downloads from the apple website.

EDIT: Can't boot from a CD? Make sure it is a bootable CD not a non bootable copy. If not things do not sound good.

Thanks Kim

Unfortunately I cant start from a CD anyway.

Since my last post, I tried copying the missing extension from another wallstreet to my G5, then back to the one in where they are missing.

Still no luck, and I still cant boot from a CD.

Running out of ideas

Tim R
    Come, sit beside me
    I said to myself
    As a small sign of trust
    I held my own hand

How is the HD on the Wallstreet - if it's "lost" files and can't boot from CD, could well be the HD on it's way out.

JB

Does it have firewire? if it does you can boot from an external firewire drive
    Alu iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo / iPod Touch 16gb / iPod 3G 20gb
    MBP 2.5ghz Core 2 Duo

the wallstreet doesnt have either firewire or usb, except with a pcmcia card .... maybe thats worth a try

Thanks

Tim R
    Come, sit beside me
    I said to myself
    As a small sign of trust
    I held my own hand

A usb/firewire card is useless because the macs openfirmware is not set to boot from firewire/usb and it wont