Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

salamagd.......awwwww....swweeeeeet, I hate you all

Well, powered up, tricked and tweaked, and...

Beautiful!!!

Flawless set-up, though I didn't migrate from my iMac. Chose normal install, then did iSync to sync mail, safari, calender, address etc.

Copies iTunes & iPhoto libraries via target mode - no problems

It's fast! Runs rings around my Powerbook G4 in every respect. Noticabely fatser in day to day stuff like web browsing than my powerbook, and even my iMac G5. Everything is quicker - web surfing - the lot. Recognised my FujiXerox laser no probs. Networked fine...

iChat & Messenger all good.

The Front Row app and remote is a VERY cool feature for your media/tunes!

Inbuilt iSight flawless

installed Microsoft Office (reluctantly - 'cause Neo Office not universal yet) - that was the longest wait of all. It works fine though. Prints fine.

It rocks!

Slight electronic whining noise near mag power input as in the US forums, but not too major - Don't know what it is - some sort of interference, cause if you unplug the power cable it goes away. It's not major though - probably wouldn't even notice if I hadn't read about it. It's still quieter then my work Compaq laptop though.

It does get warm, but no more so than than the old G4 Powerbook. May have to invest in a stand.

Overall .....10 out of 10

Get one now!

need online info? http://searchfirst.com.au
    27" iMac 2.8 GHz Quad Core i7 8GB ram, MacBookPro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB, iMacG5, mac mini + apple tv + iphone....

What's the speed of Office like under rosetta?
    As fast as the powerbook G4?
    I have no successful trades

Originally posted by the_OM@Feb 28 2006, 09:00 PM
    What's the speed of Office like under rosetta?
    As fast as the powerbook G4?
    at first glance, without major size docs, it works fine - no noticable difference form G4 PB or G5 iMac...

need online info? http://searchfirst.com.au
    27" iMac 2.8 GHz Quad Core i7 8GB ram, MacBookPro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB, iMacG5, mac mini + apple tv + iphone....

Originally posted by salamagd@Feb 28 2006, 09:41 PM
    Tada, a few quick snaps
    that... is .... beautiful... *wipes tear from eye
    Just Chillin.

yitzyf's Avatar yitzyf is offline Anything's possible, except skiing through a revolving door...

Need to be ordering me one of these little beauties soon! Very very excited. Now just have to part with the dough....
    Proud owner of MacBook Pro Dual Core 2.0 GHz/2GB/100GB

Originally posted by salamagd@Feb 28 2006, 08:41 PM
    Tada, a few quick snaps
    Hmmm, I like your taste in interior design/furniture. Nice living room.

Oh and Mac looks great too
    Insert items you own and would like to show off:
    - MacBook Pro
    - iPod Video 30 gig

nasty nasty nasty....... it makes me forget that im a apple hater at the moment....
    skysa
    iPod Photo 60GB

Oh man, my 1.33Ghz iBook seems awfully slow right now... I know I should've waited 6 months, but I couldn't go that long without a mac.... anyone want to lend me $3000?
    "The need is not for, say, half a million -inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million -inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com

*droooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!!& #33;!
    MacBook, iMac, iTouch
    Trades: landog, HDK, BiRDBRAiN, macdave, Mac Ram
    MacTalk Kiva Lending Team!

I'll order one after the NAB show... I guess that the new final cut studio will ship then as a binary. At the moment there is no real reason for me to switch... no binary Final Cut Pro, no binary DVDSP, no binary Motion, no binary Compressor and no binary Photoshop.

Once those things come around then I'll be sitting here drooling... but I hope (against all reason) that by that date a MacBPro is available with DL DVD burning support.
    See wineweek.com.au for rapid tips on which wines are worth buying and drinking.
    Follow me on twitter: wineweek or uncyherb

Tada, a few quick snaps
    SO excited. Mine is due to arrive tomorrow morning!

When you close the lid of the MBP, does it lock firmly with no screen movement or does it move a bit like PowerBook ones do?

Also - do you notice that the display is noticeably brighter as Steve said it would be in his keynote?
    ----------------------------------------
    A Dog's Breakfast

Originally posted by glenmorrow@Feb 28 2006, 11:28 PM
    When you close the lid of the MBP, does it lock firmly with no screen movement or does it move a bit like PowerBook ones do?

Also - do you notice that the display is noticeably brighter as Steve said it would be in his keynote?
    This guy stuck his MacBook and old Powerbook infront of his Cinema monitor and turned off the lights to really capture the difference:

http://static.flickr.com/40/10288123...c2357c.jpg?v=0

The stream is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elsumptero/10...in/photostream/

Tada, a few quick snaps
    Nice.

Nice furniture too.

anyone got anymore pics?

Originally posted by ged@Mar 1 2006, 12:44 PM
    anyone got anymore pics?
    Mine is currently sitting in the Startrack Depo waiting to be delivered to me! I'd take pics if I could just get to it :P

Mine was meant to arrive at 3rd Feb. But I called Star Track Express today (1st Feb) at 1630H, and it was there, so I picked it up.

Nice. I let my wife open the box, and she ooh aahed all the way. The target copy mode works well too. Lovely. I'm back on my feet in 4 hours (including copying time). Prior to target disk mode, I disabled all login items, startup items and Input Managers though.

Funny thing, is that iKey version 1.0.7 still works, even though its System Preferences Pane doesn't. The versions beyond 1.0.7 are a little clunky, and I'm hesitant to upgrade. Impressive, given that 1.0.7 was written in April 2004 even before Rosetta was widely known of.

www.scriptsoftware.com

One worrying thing: SuperDuper! (backup software) doesn't work on Intel Macs (says the developer). So I'm running without a working backup. Shivers.

Snapz Pro isn't compatible either (says developer).

Can't hear the electric whining sound yet. Maybe later.

BTW, I ordered on 31st January. Upgrading from PBG4 12.5GHz Rev A Alu.

Haven't tried my Fuji ScanSnap, or my Palm synchronisation stuff yet.

Edit: ScanSnap works. Surprising. This Rosetta thing: is as remarkable as the original Rosetta Stone itself.

Originally posted by icant@Mar 1 2006, 08:50 PM
    Mine was meant to arrive at 3rd Feb. But I called Star Track Express today (1st Feb) at 1630H, and it was there, so I picked it up.
    Errrr... it's March now... :P

(Hurry up DJs...)
    13" MacBook Pro retina: i5 2.5GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD; Mac mini: i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM Fused 240GB SSD and 500GB HDD; iMac: G4 17" 1.25GHz 2GB RAM 160GB HDD; iPhone 5 64GB; iPad mini 64GB LTE; Apple TV 3

Originally posted by thorntonp@Feb 28 2006, 08:53 PM
    It's fast! Runs rings around my Powerbook G4 in every respect. Noticabely fatser in day to day stuff like web browsing than my powerbook, and even my iMac G5. Everything is quicker - web surfing - the lot. Recognised my FujiXerox laser no probs. Networked fine...
    Hi,

I was just wondering why things like browsing and other general tasks would be faster than on a G4? I thought that any machine with a 1GHz+ CPU and 'enough' RAM could do this adequately.

I can understand that it might load applications faster, but does it happen with rendering web pages etc. as well?

Say you're writing a simple word document, and flicking through several safari windows with expose as you gather information...do you notice a definite speed difference?

I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of what differences I could expect if I upgrade from a 1.67GHz G4. I haven't had a chance to check any MBPs out in person because none of the stores I rang have them yet.

MBP owners, please share.

Thanks

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast