Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

___________________________A
    X

X = ME+iBook
    ___ = wall
    A = Airport Express

I have a long wall running thru the centre of my house. My Airport Express covers the living areas and is plugged in on one side of the wall at one end, and where I spend most of my time computing is ~20metres down the wall and ~1foot on the other side. Because of this I get almost no wireless access to my network. It's unstable/flaky as it effectively passes thru 20 continuous metres of wall&cupboards.
    So, most of my time I am cabled/tethered/wired to my home network with the IP 192.168.1.7 assigned to the ethernet interface. When walking/sitting around the house I pull the ethernet and my wireless interface is assigned 192.168.1.11.

Moving to/from wireless and wired connections drops downloads, IM clients, etc.
    Setting both interfaces to the same IP can't be done.
    Using DHCP will assign different IPs cos the lease won't have expired and the interfaces have different MACs.

Questions:
    Is there any way to move from one interface to the other 'gracefully'??

If I was cabled AND connected using WIFI, how does OS X deal with 2 connections to the same network?

Should the wireless interface be disabled when I'm using the ethernet connection?

Can the wireless interface be instantly DISABLED/RE-ENABLED when the ethernet is dis/connected?

---------
    Misc info:
    - yes, all internet&network access works 100% for either connection method
    - all interface settings are static. (ip/subnet/dns/gateway)
    - NO dhcp is currently running. I use static ips as i have port forwarding for inbound connections to most other machines on network
    3 weeks and 70 kernel panics... upgrading from my 12" G4 iBook to the 2.16Ghz Macbook was really worth it.

I believe it's posible using multihoming, but that I think uses DHCP settings having the same client ID on both the wired and wireless networks. I experimented with this myself, but couldn't get it working, but I will ask a friend who has with this iBook.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

OS X handles this quite well, you just need to prioritise your ports appropriately so that the Ethernet port is used when it's connected and it will switch over to airport when there's no ethernet connection.

A good guide can be found with the following link:

Multihoming (By David Pogue)
    OS X doesn't need viruses. The users **** up the system by themselves.

thanks for the quick help, and setting it up was way simple.

hehe, been sitting here checking it out by un/plugging the cat5 and watching the Network Status change... *Cable on, cable off... Cable on, Cable off*
    3 weeks and 70 kernel panics... upgrading from my 12" G4 iBook to the 2.16Ghz Macbook was really worth it.