Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Heeeelp! Which cheap (~$500) used Mac laptop for backpacking (i.e. small & light)?

Hi, on the road I have been using a 10" iPad with bluetooth keyboard and case. It is a great set up but as I will be doing more editing and writing I really am going to need a laptop*. But as I will be back on the road backpacking for at least a year I don't want to spend a fortune on something that could easily be broken or stolen.

I am mightily tempted to break my decades-long association with Apple because I just can't seem to see anything secondhand that fits the bill.

*My office computer is a MacBook but it is 10yrs old (and starting to fail) and besides it is just toooo heavy to even consider.

So I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

TIA
    Grahame

Default Done! Bought a $500 2014 11" Air

Done! Bought a $500 2014 11" Air

Well done, Grahame! I'm after one of them myself.

Shocked to see people are still visiting this site. Thought everyone had vacated to appletalk.com.au - set up by a few former MacTalkers when the new owners locked out the moderators...
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!