Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Question about updated specs on Apple Cinema Display 20" Aluminium (Model A1081)

I'm thinking of buying a used 20" Apple Cinema Display, but have discovered Apple quietly updated the specs on 7 August 2006 - namely increased the brightness from 300 cd/m2 to 400 cd/m2 and the contrast ratio from 400:1 to 700:1. Is there an easy way to tell whether the display I might be buying is a later one with the improved brightness and contrast or an earlier one i.e manufactured before 07/08/06? The one I'm thinking of getting, the buyer has said he remembers purchasing it either late 2008 or early 2009 from 'JustMacs' in Torquay VIC. However that doesn't necessarily mean anything since it could be older stock. He has also given me the Serial No. and EMC No. which are 2A5140P6PKK & 2009. However looking up the serial number on Apple's website doesn't help me because that's only for warranty coverage information for which you need to enter the 'exact' purchase date for anyway. I then thought maybe the 2009 in the EMC number meant it was manufactured in 2009, but it doesn't work that way and the 2009 is just a coincidence. Is there perhaps some minor external difference between the earlier and later displays or with the display connected would 'System Profiler' give any information on the brightness and contrast ratio of the attached display?

I found a website called 'AppleSerialNumberInfo.com' where one just has to type in the serial number of any Apple product and it returns the month (in the form of the number of weeks into the year - e.g. Week 21) and year of manufacture as well as the specs.