Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Admin password not accepted

My wife's Macbook Pro A1278 OSX 10.?.? has decided to exclude her from usage. On booting her screen shows her icon and name plus Guest icon.
    Selecting her name and entering her username (only accepts uppercase - denies caps lock changing to lower) and trembles after entering her correct password.
    Utilising Guest and opening Users and Groups shows the List of users menu on the left of screen with her username (lower case) as Admin but greyed out.
    Tried Disk Utility for Verification of drive but no luck.
    Tried Keychain to take a look at Passwords, but every menu slot only shows Apple connections.

Can anyone offer any comment about this situation?
    The Usual Suspect

This link is a few years old but I think should contain something that could help What to do if your Mac refuses to accept your password | Macworld
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    This link is a few years old but I think should contain something that could help What to do if your Mac refuses to accept your password | Macworld
    Thank you so much SRG. I tried every suggestion from the page and it seems 10.5.5 doesn't like any of it. Got nowhere. Nonetheless I learnt of some things to setup protections and for that I am grateful.
    The final option will be Target mode tomorrow, when I will try to extract her files to my Mac. Fingers crossed. Looks like erase and format.
    It will be a trip to I Love Computers and a week without her Macbook. Her iPad will get a real workout.
    Just for interest, every option only typed in uppercase, even in Terminal and I think Terminal is definitely case sensitive. Could be the keyboard?
    The Usual Suspect

Finally got myself a FireWire cable to connect my Mac Mini to her MacBook and try Target Mode. Inadvertently held down Command T on her MacBook and it opened as she normally does, complete with her as Admin, no password necessary. Tried to create a new folder in Finder but could only name it in Uppercase. Seems the Caps Lock is stuck UP. So no luck with any password from there forward. Anyone struck this issue?
    The Usual Suspect

An interesting development which might help others... just before I hooked up the new Firewire cable, I noticed it looked odd and to my surprise, found it was the wrong cable, so was stuck up the creek without a paddle. Sat and thought for a bit and decided to try Command T again and start loading her files into her Public Folder and sharing with my Mac Mini. Voila! Added an external 1TB HDD to the Mac Mini and transferred (albeit slowly) all her files across to the External via USB ex the Mac Mini. Took most of the day and a bit more tomorrow and I will be done. So all will be saved! Next step will be to take MacBook to tech as I now know I cannot solve the issue. Only types in Caps and a couple of keys do not register. Also strange behaviour when highlighting list of files as it can jump erratically and no scrolling. Also double clicking does not necessarily open a file or Folder. Clean install will be needed and possible keyboard fix... or maybe replace unit depending on quote.
    The Usual Suspect

G'day kaisersozay,

Heads-up - This site is dead. Was mediocre to start, amazing for a while, then purchased by idiots who have done everything except for turn off the lights...

For Apple/Mac/etc advice, particular if you're Aussie, I suggest:

AppleTalk | By and for Apple enthusiasts.

cheers

cosmic
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    G'day kaisersozay,

Heads-up - This site is dead. Was mediocre to start, amazing for a while, then purchased by idiots who have done everything except for turn off the lights...

For Apple/Mac/etc advice, particular if you're Aussie, I suggest:

AppleTalk | By and for Apple enthusiasts.

cheers

cosmic
    Hi cosmic, thanks for the heads up. I am with AppleTalk as it happens, just forgot to post there. Should have. I was surprised by the lack of interest. Been away for a bit or would have replied sooner. Thanks again.
    The Usual Suspect