Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Airdrop still hit and miss

I forget how long ago Airdrop was first introduced, but I quickly gave up on it just because I could never get it to reliably work. Now, however many years later, I still can't get it to reliably work. Same goes with my wife and daughter. Are others here able to use Airdrop reliably, the way it's intended to work, or is Airdrop something that Apple has failed at?

Quote Originally Posted by dagaz View Post
    I forget how long ago Airdrop was first introduced, but I quickly gave up on it just because I could never get it to reliably work. Now, however many years later, I still can't get it to reliably work. Same goes with my wife and daughter. Are others here able to use Airdrop reliably, the way it's intended to work, or is Airdrop something that Apple has failed at?
    I find airdrop between Macs reliable, but airdrop between iOS devices and Macs is very hit and miss, as is every continuity feature bar sms and phone call relaying :/
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

I just had a photo on my iPhone that I wanted to share. I got every other Apple device in the house (all five of them) to try and share the photo with over Airdrop (all six devices, including my phone, set to Everyone in Airdrop). Only one of them, my wife's iPad, showed up in the Airdrop share space (and I was able to successfully share it with her iPad, even though I really wanted to share it to my MacBook). This is so frustrating as I am often in a position where I just want to Airdrop a photo to my Mac and have to email it to myself instead. All devices are newish, capable of running Airdrop and up to date in terms of OS.

No one has had a similar problem and found a reliable fix? I've looked at and tried numerous fixes online, but none have worked so far. I'm tempted to go book into my local Genius Bar but not sure if even they could fix it?